Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
I think if you want metal panniers then the HT are hard to beat.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
Beavah
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Givi 360's on the sides and 460 on top.
Most times just the top case stays on.

I went down with the side bags installed and though they are rashed up they definately saved my bike from a lot of damage.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...h/DCP_1766.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...h/DCP_1762.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...h/DCP_1764.jpg
Old 05-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDown
Hepco and Becker "Junior" top case and side bags. I only use the top case but it's the best piece of luggage I've ever had. Here's a pic of a bike using all 3 pieces.

I was looking at this pic and thinking, "that looks a lot like my bike, hey it is my bike". I guess my bike is pretty famous if others are posting pics of it. I wish I could say it still looks as pretty, but I've since gone to the dark side (riding it in the dirt) and after a couple of Rawhyde Rallys in Death Valley, lets just say it has a lot more character.

I bought the DL650 within a week or two of its release in 2004, then immediately did a lot of research on luggage. At the time I didn't want aluminum, and picked the Hepco Beckers Juniors because they were the only set at the time to have assymetrical racks and different sized luggage to account for the single exhaust.

Here's a view from the back that I took during that same photoshoot. BTW the width is about 43".

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #19
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,509
Jesse's

Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 AM   #20
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,244
JC Whitney Top Box for Strom looks as good as Givi, costs $60 w/ mount and leaves you $200 to spend on something else!
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 AM   #21
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulman
Thanks.

Thought so...I'm looking at that right now...any installation issues?

sul
sul,

The rack installed in 20 minutes (including coffee breaks). Unlike most SW-Motech install instructions, these were actually intelligible. When I bought my rack there were two placement options available. I went for the more forward design for better weight distribution.

My Quick-Lock adapter plate allows for some very slight movement of the V46 top case. However, the E36 cases are rock solid when I use one as a top case. I've installed additional rubber bumpers to keep the V46 from moving.

Dave
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:45 AM   #22
sulman
introvert

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin
sul,

The rack installed in 20 minutes (including coffee breaks). Unlike most SW-Motech install instructions, these were actually intelligible. When I bought my rack there were two placement options available. I went for the more forward design for better weight distribution.

My Quick-Lock adapter plate allows for some very slight movement of the V46 top case. However, the E36 cases are rock solid when I use one as a top case. I've installed additional rubber bumpers to keep the V46 from moving.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

I've got E36's on my Givi siderack now...I plan to use an E45 up top so it should be solid also. Looks like you've got Givi sideracks, too...so there should be no problems. Thanks for the help.

sul

And, yes, I owe pics.
sulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #23
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,109
Here's some Pelican 1430's (sidecases) and a Pelican 1500 (topcase) on SW Motech racks:

CA_Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #24
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMSP
Hi,

Please post up pictures w/ side and rear views so I can get a better idea of what the bike will look like afterwards should I go with this idea or that idea.
Oh and please don't make me guess at what bags are on the cycle ~ brand, size ... bla bla bla..
I don't see mine yet.. Givi e21 toploaders mounted to Givi brand racks. Not as sturdy as Jesse etc but light and relatively inexpensive.. Still fairly tough, I once snagged one on a tree hard enough to make it distort and pop open. Can't even tell which one now and both still watertight. 21 liters might be a drawback depending on how much crap you like to carry..

ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
sulman
introvert

Givi E36's

Old 05-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #26
sulman
introvert

Givi E36 side

Old 05-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #27
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
E360 side cases on Givi Racks and a E450 top case with it's own rack. I picked up the keyed lockset from Givi so all use the same key The E360's hold up well when the bike is thrown down the road. They get a few scrapes, but better them than the bike

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #28
JJMSP OP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
What bags are you choosing between? What do you like about the various options?

Well ... that is what I am trying to do now, reduce the list to make a choice.
I have on my list: Shad42 // Hepco & Becker ? // Givi // Jesse // and two others that I do not rememer. Um ... Adventure Trails I think similar to Jesse ? I have just two weeks to get them here and off I go! I have heard that Jesse can't handle that time line.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:11 AM   #29
JJMSP OP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,543
Hey !
The HT = Happy Trails, correct ?
Are nice ... great ... add another to my list.
This is harder then picking the motocycle out,,,, well $$$ told the wee not the B.

Thank you everyone, this is helping cuz now I know what the bike WILL look like. More, please of some other types of bags, ok? This was a good idea!

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #30
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 948
I am with thumpy. E-21's. I like that they top load, are relatively cheap, and are toughter than you'd think (yes, they will support a Strom on its side with no permanent damage).

I also use the top case from JC Whitney (~$70 delivered). It easily holds a FF helmet
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote