User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #31
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,099
One more Happy-Trail user here.

Like them a lot. Not much to complain about other then the people in parking lots that tell me I should have bought something more rounded and not black. STFU and stop telling me what I "should" have done asshats.
The H.T.'s work great for me.

Ride_There screwed with this post 05-12-2006 at 07:27 AM Reason: Pic
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #32
BillJones270
Good Times

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano
I am with thumpy. E-21's. I like that they top load, are relatively cheap, and are toughter than you'd think (yes, they will support a Strom on its side with no permanent damage).

I also use the top case from JC Whitney (~$70 delivered). It easily holds a FF helmet
Do you have a part number for the JC Whitney Top Case?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #33
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasqua7ch
They have 2-3 different ones. You can check them out online if you dont have a catalog. Mine might hold 1 open face helmet but I dont think it will hold a full face one. The large is supposed to hold 2. Was less than $70 delivered and looks great on the Strom. There is another model that looks just like the BMW topbox on my GS.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #34
BillJones270
Good Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There
...Like them a lot. Not much to complain about other then the people in parking lots that tell me I should have bought something more rounded and not black. STFU and stop telling me what I "should" have done asshats....
HA! I get that crap all the time, too! I have Givi E36's (that look like luggage)....and people either comment on them: Those look like suitcases (ya think?) or those don't really 'flow' with the bike Thanks, but since I didn't ask for an opinion, please
Old 05-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #35
BillJones270
Good Times

This looks like the link to the JCW top case. At ~$70 delivered (including mount) these suckers might be too good to pass up:

JC Whitney Top Case
Old 05-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #36
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
This looks like the link to the JCW top case. At ~$70 delivered (including mount) these suckers might be too good to pass up:

JC Whitney Top Case
Oh the thread-jack is ON!!

Hey, I just ordered one of those trunks earlier this week, the smaller one.. Can't see how it could be such a POS as not to be worth $59.. I think the Givi trunk mounting plate alone is more than that. There is a promotion for free shipping for orders of >= $75, so I also got a set of universal mud flaps, and a metric nut bolt assortment to put me over the top. The mud flap: That's $5 vs $35 for fenda-extenda.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #37
Skibum
Ready...Fire...Aim

Oddometer: 6,186
Just ordered the large JC Whitney. For $79.99 including the mount and free shipping.

Jeff

In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king.
Skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #38
BillJones270
Good Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum
Just ordered the large JC Whitney. For $79.99 including the mount and free shipping. Jeff
Jeff, let us know how you like the big one -- i.e. how many helmets actually fit in there. Both top cases are a steal at those prices.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #39
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
I have the older model, so the part # is irrelevant. But the newer ones look nicwer anyway...mine looks more like the medium.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #40
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Another happy HT owner here. I had another wee strom owner ask me if I built my own panniers?!
Attached Images

spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #41
txgryph
Back from out there

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum
Just ordered the large JC Whitney. For $79.99 including the mount and free shipping.

Jeff
We'll need a report on that case Skibum, the small one was on me K5 Wee when I bought it. It's okay but too small for me so I'm looking to upgrade and sure like the price on the large JC.W. case.

I'm leaning toward Pelican 1550's on SW racks myself for the easy removal and bullet proof case.
txgryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #42
JJMSP OP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,548
Top load Vs. Side Load cases

I have been looking all the cases over ... the husband actually caught me sleeping with the Givi Catalog, so much for marital bliss. Jesse can not get the bags to me in time for my departure date. Is there another top load case larger then 21ltr / 7inch wide like the E21's?

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #43
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:

JC Whitney Top Case
Yep these are the ones I bought. I got the smaller one and rode today in heavy cross winds and you can't tell it is back there.....seemingly no high speed wiggle on the wee! The large one hoods more but looks too big for me.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #44
JJMSP OP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,548
E30 Tour top case Givi

I am not sold yet on the Givi case ... but went shopping to look at the real case instead of the catalog.

Today I found a Givi case called E30 Tour and the case is really for a scooter. We did review the mounting plate that comes with the bag and it can be mounted on the DL650 w/o modification. The price is $90. Even though it is meant for a scooter, its function for me is for the helmet when not riding and the purse while riding. There is a stop light adapter that can be added later on.

The E36NJ case would compliment the top case above if all is purchased flat black. The NJ is the economic version and sells $40 less. This set up (I believe) is the best price/value/benefit so far. The whole set up is $525 new, well - plus tax.

I still agree and like the idea of the top opening feature but have been unable to find the larger capacity desired.

Just want to share also a new discovery ~ Pat Walsh Designs motor guards.

http://patwalshdesigns.com/guard.html

Thanks everyone again! I would still like to see more ideas (pics) since I have this weekend yet to decide.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA

JJMSP screwed with this post 05-13-2006 at 03:58 PM
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #45
sulman
introvert

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMSP

The E36NJ case would compliment the top case above if all is purchased flat black. The NJ is the economic version and sells $40 less. This set up (I believe) is the best price/value/benefit so far. The whole set up is $525 new, well - plus tax.

Thanks everyone again! I would still like to see more ideas (pics) since I have this weekend yet to decide.
Erik at twistedthrottle.com has good prices/reasonable shipping charges on the E36NJ.
sulman is offline   Reply With Quote