Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #61
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Well I have the E360 which is identical to the E460 (except in size) and it's my opinion the E450 is every bit a quality product as the E460. Of course you are entitled to your opinion , but I do own the product

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
the E450 and E460 can't be compared; the former is a scooter case, which is much cheaper construction. If you are going to do that, get a cheapie from ebay or jcwhitney or just use a lunch pail.

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 PM   #62
TexasShadow
Where's the escape hatch?

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf
E450 comes with it's own mounting plate and is thus cheaper than the E460 which needs a seperate base plate. Integrated stop light is a joke IMO and not worth the cash.
So I've heard. I know of an E460 for sale (silver, too, matches the bike). I will probably chose that one.
Quote:
Buy the E360 or E36 as they are not too bad and the Cheapest you'll find with decent storage. If you can't legally lanesplit what does it matter how wide the back is???
Ground clearance when leaning.
The issue I question re the Givi side cases is strapping gear to the tops of them (tent, bag, etc). That doesn't appear to be an option with them.
Quote:
My Strom is running Koubalinks (1 1/8 lower) I'm within 1/4" of the edge of the tire and nothing has scraped yet.
good to know. I'm going to investigate modifying the seat first, then lowering the chasis. I'd like to avoid lowering the latter too much.
Quote:
My longest day was around 750 miles and longest duration was 10 days. We also ran 3500 miles over 5 riding days with one play day on the Dragon. I found the Strom to be extremly comfy
Good to know. Thanks.
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #63
JJMSP OP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,543
Givi

Done !

thats is ... $$$ spent ...

Well ,,, the install is next, but the bags are in the garage waiting the SW motech mounts that should be here on Friday/Monday.

Side cases-E36NJ These are $40 less w/o the document holder - big whoop.

Top-E30 (monolock) includes mounting plate and holds one FF helmet ~ Yes it is meant for scooters but I like it! This top case is only $10 higher then JC but that $10 is worth the Givi mounting plate.

Well, I hope this thread helped some of you to save money ~ it sure did for me. The Picture will be posted when I'm all done with the set up.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #64
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

If you are scraping the sidecases your bike is sliding down the pavement

The E360 has a gap in the handle where straps can be ran to secure a tent, chair, bags etc

Lower the Chasis with the links IMO. I lowered my Strom AFTER I put 20,000 miles on it I didn't need it lowered but thought it would be better when loading passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
So I've heard. I know of an E460 for sale (silver, too, matches the bike). I will probably chose that one.
Ground clearance when leaning.
The issue I question re the Givi side cases is strapping gear to the tops of them (tent, bag, etc). That doesn't appear to be an option with them.
good to know. I'm going to investigate modifying the seat first, then lowering the chasis. I'd like to avoid lowering the latter too much.
Good to know. Thanks.

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Old 05-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #65
TexasShadow

Quote:
If you are scraping the sidecases your bike is sliding down the pavement.
Yet it is worth considering.
Quote:
The E360 has a gap in the handle where straps can be ran to secure a tent, chair, bags etc.
Anyone have a pic/image of gear or stuff strapped to Givi sidecases?? I'm leaning towards the E41s: I like the supplemental side access without haveing to open the entire side.
Quote:
Lower the Chasis with the links IMO.
I'm investigating modifying an aftermarket seat first (Sargeant's new saddle?). Then lowering chassis to make up difference.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #66
TexasShadow

Givi E41 sidecases

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecujim
Yes, they open like this, but i have not mesured how wide they are
I'm liking these more and more. :^)
Questions: can you strap gear to the top of them? (tent, bedroll...)
Do they have handles? (for taking off bike every night, etc while touring)

Thanks. Your images were VERY helpful.

P.S. Cost for a pair and mounts? (comparing to HT Teton panniers)
Old 05-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #67
ecujim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I don't see the problem to strap some duffel bag, tent or anything else. you still have the luggage rack to bungee or strap something on top of the passenger seat and the sidecases can be used as stops or support points.
The side cases have some handles to carry them but they don't have an opening on the other side of the handle.

PS. Forgot to add i paid $850 for the whole set, cases and mounting hardware, including shipping

ecujim screwed with this post 05-18-2006 at 07:42 AM
ecujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #68
TexasShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecujim
I don't see the problem to strap some duffel bag, tent or anything else. you still have the luggage rack to bungee or strap something on top of the passenger seat and the sidecases can be used as stops or support points.
The side cases have some handles to carry them but they don't have an opening on the other side of the handle.

PS. Forgot to add i paid $850 for the whole set, cases and mounting hardware, including shipping.
Thanks for your excellent images and information. I am truly grateful.

Wow; I didn't realize the sidecase system was that $$much. The HT Teton/Targhee systems are a close comparison in price (actually less....)
Old 05-18-2006, 08:27 AM   #69
ecujim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShadow
Wow; I didn't realize the sidecase system was that $$much.
I'm not talking only about the sidecases, i'm talking about the whole set of top case and sidecases with mounting hardware and including shipping.

The side cases with mounting hardware are $615.15 at http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/accessories.htm
ecujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:16 PM   #70
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

With normally just me travelling I haven't had to resort to strapping a seat/tent etc to the seat. From my pic below you can see the space in the handle where a strap can be ran to secure longer items

Old 05-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #71
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:
If you are scraping the sidecases your bike is sliding down the pavement...
I bang my Happy-Trail panniers while cornering. Thirty-nine and one-half inches. Hit a Bot's Dot the other day that startled me a bit. I did not, however, slide down the pavement.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #72
TrunkMonkey
I Pitty the Fool!

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
I bang my Happy-Trail panniers while cornering. Thirty-nine and one-half inches. Hit a Bot's Dot the other day that startled me a bit. I did not, however, slide down the pavement.
Hey Doc, which Givi mount did you use for your topcase on the HT rack? The universal mount or some other model?
TrunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:05 PM   #73
TexasShadow

Quote:
With normally just me travelling I haven't had to resort to strapping a seat/tent etc to the seat. From my pic below you can see the space in the handle where a strap can be ran to secure longer items

"There can be only one!".... I mean, there's only me. But I'll be on the road for a loooong time, so need tent, bag, and small French coffee press. I have my priorities.
Sheesh. Make that v-strom silver, put longer hair under the dewrag, and behind the sunglasses and it's me. Wait, I don't have a beard or mustache..... (I'm a 'she')

Must be that Texas sunset I just rode home in........gone to my head.

Yup, I'm leaning towards all around Givi bags. But with E41s on the sides.

Damn... must be nice to put both feet flat on the ground.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #74
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpy
...I just ordered one of those trunks earlier this week, the smaller one.. Can't see how it could be such a POS as not to be worth $59.. I think the Givi trunk mounting plate alone is more than that....
The JC Whitney "medium" trunk came today.

The good: It does easily hold a full face helmet (XXL Arai Quantum) the mouting plate was easy to install, It looks great from about 3 feet away, the locking mech works well and is a good knockoff of the e360 etc. series.

The bad. Look closely and it's obviously no Givi. The mounting plate is all softish plastic, the box itself has a generally cheap and flimsy feel to it, especially the built in reflector on the handle.. While the plate looks and is designed to mimic the givi mount, it's not spaced the same. smaller. My real Givi bags and this knockoff are not mount-interchangeable.

Assuming it holds up for a few years I reckon it's easily worth the $59.

ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #75
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,402
Givi E33 Monolock Topcase

side

rear