Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Thumper OP
OLD BRIT LOVER

Oddometer: 136
Pissed Painting R1150RT, among other things.

I've had enough with trying to match the so called Mystic Red color on my R 1150 BMW. Which I bought new from Brown's in 2002. They promised me that it was a stock "Mystic Red" color. WRONG! That proved to be bullshit, along with their paint codes and promises. Robin at Brown's (She's no longer works there), also lied to me about availability of RT models and said the custom "Mystic Red" one was the only one they had in stock, for sale. A beautiful color, I must admit. They clipped me an extra $2000.00 for the color. When I went to pick up the bike the next day, they had two or three more on the floor, including an incredible black one. When I asked Robin why these weren't available she said "Oh, they were still in crates". I've done one service there and after experiencing the total arrogance of their employees and service people (one day after soending $22,000.00 there), I' found the best mechanic, in my back yard, and the best service personel I've done all my services with Uwe at Honda of Hollywood. I highly recommend him. And Frank, Fernando and Mike are terrific, even though I didn't buy the bike there. I didn't buy the bike there because only Browns would let me test ride the RT. I Guess Honda of Hollywood didn't want me to ride around on a brand new bike in Hollywood. Funny though, all those sales guys are gone, as well.

Well, The RT's started to peal in a few spots, there are several scratches on the top of the tank and I've dropped her enough times so that matching the mirrors has been an impossible nightmare for years. I am now repainting the bike a stock BMW car color, "Metallic Black" It has hints of blue in the metallic. I am being charged $1200.00 for a 3 stage paint with a metallic base, plus dismantling and re-mantling the fairing.

Now I'm SICK of the Rocky Meyer Seat. Another thing I've fucked with for years. Because of lack of air flow behind the fairing my balls and crotch get red and blistered on long rides. Rocky fucked with the the seat, at least twice and I had another local company insert memory foam, once. which has turned as hard as stone. I recently bought an Alaskan Leather Sheepskin Seat Cover and believe it or not, it has provided the best comfort on long rides. All my bikes have them now. The only problem is, when traveling through farmland I get followed by rams and goats all the time.

Can anyone recommend a saddle that will be as comfortable for long distances as my Harley Touring saddle? I can put 600 miles a day on that.

Also . I want to up grade the exhaust. I was thinking of a Brembo. Any other suggestions. Oh, I have 37000 miles on the BMW and 22000 miles on the Road King. Even though I know the BMW is far safer, I consider the RK my summer bike. I never get a rash.

On a roll

Thumper

Thumper screwed with this post 05-12-2006 at 10:57 PM
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Thumper OP
OLD BRIT LOVER

Painting R1150RT, among other things.

Hey thanks for all your help! You're starting to remind me off BMWRT.com.
I must be invisible. Must be the fact that I own a late model Harley.

Here's the color I picked for the R1150RT .

P.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Laugh

Nice color choice........IMO, every proper BMW should be black (including mine)
Old 05-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
mitch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Talking

Also . I want to up grade the exhaust. I was thinking of a Brembo. Any other suggestions.

Staintune make a great exhaust in S/S.
06 GSA . SE. will try to stay away from pickups.
Well it was a car this time #L/tib & fib in the same place as the previous F wit crushed it
Ducati making mechanics out of riders for 50 years
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #5
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,871
that was a 'fair' rant.

Intense in places, good sustain, lacked a little bit in closure. I'd give it a seven out of ten.

i like the new colour by the way.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 AM   #6
4SEVEN3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Thumb

I havent heard of Brembo exhaust. I know they make some killer brake components!

Staintune
Laser
Two Brothers

One thing to consider is installing a chip in the moronic. Thses bikes are tuned to run lean as it is, adding an exhaust will make it run that much leaner and could lead to inner engine trouble.

Contact Robert Foster at www.fosterrad.com. This cat tunes on Bimmers and can get ya straight the first time around!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I've had enough with trying to match the so called Mystic Red color on my R 1150 BMW. Which I bought new from Brown's in 2002. They promised me that it was a stock "Mystic Red" color. WRONG! That proved to be bullshit, along with their paint codes and promises. Robin at Brown's (She's no longer works there), also lied to me about availability of RT models and said the custom "Mystic Red" one was the only one they had in stock, for sale. A beautiful color, I must admit. They clipped me an extra $2000.00 for the color. When I went to pick up the bike the next day, they had two or three more on the floor, including an incredible black one. When I asked Robin why these weren't available she said "Oh, they were still in crates". I've done one service there and after experiencing the total arrogance of their employees and service people (one day after soending $22,000.00 there), I' found the best mechanic, in my back yard, and the best service personel I've done all my services with Uwe at Honda of Hollywood. I highly recommend him. And Frank, Fernando and Mike are terrific, even though I didn't buy the bike there. I didn't buy the bike there because only Browns would let me test ride the RT. I Guess Honda of Hollywood didn't want me to ride around on a brand new bike in Hollywood. Funny though, all those sales guys are gone, as well.

Well, The RT's started to peal in a few spots, there are several scratches on the top of the tank and I've dropped her enough times so that matching the mirrors has been an impossible nightmare for years. I am now repainting the bike a stock BMW car color, "Metallic Black" It has hints of blue in the metallic. I am being charged $1200.00 for a 3 stage paint with a metallic base, plus dismantling and re-mantling the fairing.

Now I'm SICK of the Rocky Meyer Seat. Another thing I've fucked with for years. Because of lack of air flow behind the fairing my balls and crotch get red and blistered on long rides. Rocky fucked with the the seat, at least twice and I had another local company insert memory foam, once. which has turned as hard as stone. I recently bought an Alaskan Leather Sheepskin Seat Cover and believe it or not, it has provided the best comfort on long rides. All my bikes have them now. The only problem is, when traveling through farmland I get followed by rams and goats all the time.

Can anyone recommend a saddle that will be as comfortable for long distances as my Harley Touring saddle? I can put 600 miles a day on that.

Also . I want to up grade the exhaust. I was thinking of a Brembo. Any other suggestions. Oh, I have 37000 miles on the BMW and 22000 miles on the Road King. Even though I know the BMW is far safer, I consider the RK my summer bike. I never get a rash.

On a roll

Thumper
Not a bad rant. Not bad at all. I'm gonna knock ya points 'cause you didn't use the F-word once tho. No Cobbie for you!

re: seats. You wanna try out a comfort seat, PM me. I'm in the SF South Bay area. We can meet halfway-ish and go for a ride... One of the things that I've found over the years is that synthetics are much mo bettah for your crotch than cotton. Whatcha wearing different on the 2 bikes?

re: exhaust. Stick with Staintune or Ztechnic. 2Brothers systems are generally considered 'too loud.' I haven't heard of Brembo exhausts. I personally have a 2Bros cat eliminator that's looking for a muffler... I had a line on an R1 muffler, but the guy hasn't emailed me back in a while.

Good luck with the color switch. Should turn out very nice. I like the RT in black. 'Course I'm partial to Charcoal Grey Metallic too.

M
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Thumper OP
OLD BRIT LOVER

Fuck fuck fuckety fuck fuck.

[QUOTE=Gummee!]Not a bad rant. Not bad at all. I'm gonna knock ya points 'cause you didn't use the F-word once tho. No Cobbie for you!

Hows that?

Thumper
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Fuck, Fuck, Fuckity, Fuck, Fuck

Hows that?

Thumper
fucking way better now.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #10
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Don't scratch that new 3 stage black or you are going to go through the same match problem you had with the Red FYI BMW offer usually 3 different shades of one color (color chips) to offset age and fading, looks like your painter did not do their match up work right.

OBTW Nice rant
Old 07-23-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Thumper OP
OLD BRIT LOVER

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
Don't scratch that new 3 stage black or you are going to go through the same match problem you had with the Red
I have a can of touch up paint, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
FYI BMW offer usually 3 different shades of one color (color chips) to offset age and fading, looks like your painter did not do their match up work right.
What would you expect from a Honda Dealer's painter?

T.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #12
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
BMWRT.Com?

Are those lovely gentleman still around? "King Davids" court.
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Thumper OP
OLD BRIT LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHoof
Are those lovely gentleman still around? "King Davids" court.

How would I know? I got tossed outta there 4 years ago for posting "objectionable photos". This was right after "King" David got into all that trouble, riding like an idiot at the Gunnison BMWRT Rally.

That's how I found you guys.
I've since reregistered with an alais but, I don't even remember what it was.
I have to jump into the wayback machine to find out.

I posted this picture of David, as a registered David Baker, here and almost got thrown off of this group. That's how I met Fish
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #14
Karl in NY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
>>>"Mystic Red" one was the only one they had in stock, for sale. A beautiful color, I must admit. They clipped me an extra $2000.00 for the color.>>>

You're obviously not income-challenged...

I really can't begin to identify with being affluent enough to spend
$2K for a color-option on a motorcycle...that's enough for a second bike where I wuz raised (OK...trailer parks).

If you're going to repaint the bike, why be a slave to BMW colors, especially BMW automobile colors, especially metallics? There are plenty of other paints that will be infinitely easier to match if you need to do so in the future...

Just my opinion, of course.
Karl in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
Thumper OP
OLD BRIT LOVER

[QUOTE=Karl in NY]>>>"Mystic Red" one was the only one they had in stock, for sale. A beautiful color, I must admit. They clipped me an extra $2000.00 for the color.>>>

You're obviously not income-challenged...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl in NY
"I really can't begin to identify with being affluent enough to spend
$2K for a color-option on a motorcycle...that's enough for a second bike where I wuz raised (OK...trailer parks)..
I kinda lied about that. That's what they told me it cost them. I did pay extra for the color though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl in NY
"If you're going to repaint the bike, why be a slave to BMW colors, especially BMW automobile colors, especially metallics? There are plenty of other paints that will be infinitely easier to match if you need to do so in the future...

Just my opinion, of course.

It is way too late. Kit has been black for about a month.I just walked by a car, which happened to be a BMW M3., and that was it.