ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Which 950 to get? Seeking advice

Okay, I've finally decided I have to have a 950 this summer. I've been pretty close to doing the deal before but have not pulled the trigger.

My main ride is an 03 R1150GS Adventure which I plan on keeping and riding it for many years to come. The KTM will be it's stable mate.

Lately, there have been a bunch of 950's for sale in the Flea Market, and some local to me in Colorado as well.

I am currently considering the following:

In the running are:

#1 2004 Non-S. Fully Loaded. 2500 Miles. Color: Black. Has the normal
extras that most folks put on (CF Guards, metal guards, tank bag). also has the Gobi tail box and a low-Gel seat in addition to the stocker. Has a Remus stainless exhaust. But no warranty and too late to buy an extended warranty. Had 600 mile service done but no TSB's have been done. Bike was purchased in 8/04. Asking Price: $10,500. This is a local bike for sale by a friend.

#2 2004.5 S Model. Color: Blue with GO Graphics. Located in Colorado Springs. (In the flea market here right now) 9239 Miles. Has Gobis, all TSB's completed, just serviced, one owner, and extended warranty till 5/08. Asking Price: $11,000 or best offer. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138534 I am 6' tall with a 34" inseam and won't know until tomorrow when I'm scheduled to see the bike (and sit on it) if I will be able to reach the ground or not.

#3 2005.5 non-S. Color: Orange. Low miles: 5200 miles. Fully loaded with Gobi's and Gobi tail box, after market cans, Renazzo seat, yaddie yaddie. Asking Price: $10,500. Location: California, so have to budget $500-600 to fly to CAand ride it home. And, it's likely to be sold to a local before I can get it anyway. For sale in flea market. Likely selling price: $10.5K. Link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138439

#4. Last Option: New 2006 from a Colorado dealer. Miles: 0. Color: Orange. Brand new bike for $12,300 + Tax (making it $13,200 OTD). This includes the
Gobi bags, all TSB's, and a 1 year warranty that I can extend for 2 or 3 more years at the end. I would have to spend $750-1000 to add the CF guards, engine guards, tank bag, and a Renazzo seat. I can live w/o an aftermarket exhaust for the time being but would likely add a Wings or Akro later. So, $14,000 or so to do a brand new one.

#5. Wait till next spring and get a 990 FI bike. I like FI, but not sure I can wait.

I rode an 05 today but it had 28K miles on it and wasn't in the best of shape. They wanted $9K for the bike and I just felt a bike with that many miles may not be worth it.

So, I am looking for advice. What's the better deal?

- The 04 is a great deal if I can get it for $10K with all of the extras and the low miles. But no warranty and I'm sure it will need a bunch of TSB's done. Let's call this the $10K option.

- The 04 S with the GO graphics look stellar. It has < 10K miles and looks to be perfect. Just need to add a tank bag and I'm set. Not sure what the final price would be. Let's call this option $11K.

- A brand new 06. New, no miles, I can do all of the work myself. No TSB's. Full warranty that I can extend. Let's call this option $14K.

What say you?

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
I don't know about the bike selection.... BUT your avatar needs more ORANGE in it for posting on the crush..... You are already as good as converted!

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Duh -> Forgot the Sales tax on the used bikes.

Now that I think about it more, I'm going to have to pay some sales taxes on ANY used bike I register here in Colorado. I may be able to (ahem) put a lower price on the title for the price paid than I actually paid, but I'm still going to have to pay taxes of at least $7-9K on any used bike like these. The MVA will snag me if I say I paid only like $5K for either bike.

So, I should add about $592 to the price of either of the used bikes to cover the 7.4% sales tax in colorado. This would be if I reported them as purchased for, say, $8000. If reported at $10K the tax would be $740.

When you register a bike, you have to pay the sales tax if you haven't already done so at the dealer.

This would make the

#1 Option: $10,000 (guessing on final negotiated price) + $592 = $10.6K.

#2 Option: $11,000 (not sure of final price) + $740 tax = $11.75K

#4 Option $12,300 + $910.20 = #13.210.20

To me, makes option #4 look even better.

The prices of the add on items appears to be as follows with a 10% discount. I think my salesman/dealer will give me 15% for the first 30 days.

- Tank Bag: $108
- CF Tank Guards: $196.27
- Metal crash guards: $283.15

Total: $601.xx + tax for the upgrades I need right up front. Plus 1st service in a week or so. Hmmmm. Love the Akros but the price is sky high. May go with Wings or Staintune.

Tom
Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
you're 6' tall and worried about the S ?

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat
you're 6' tall and worried about the S ?
???

I rode a 05 non-S today and I was on tip-toes in my riding boots. My understanding is that the 04 S was very tall. Why does my question rate your response? I said I have not yet sat on it.

My GS Adventure is pretty tall but I can deal with it.

Just asking for advice here....

T.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
Mike955i
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Option #4, no decision necessary. Brand new, full warrantee, the knowledge that no one else has f%#k'd it up for <$3K; thats cheap peace of mind and a no brainer to me. Plus, Orange is best!

Good luck, it's a great bike in any choice!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #7
Infracaninophile OP
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike955i
Option #4, no decision necessary. Brand new, full warrantee, the knowledge that no one else has f%#k'd it up for <$3K; thats cheap peace of mind and a no brainer to me. Plus, Orange is best!

Mike: Thanks for the input. I can get the new 06 in Black as well for the same price. I like black as well. Someone told me the black bikes are faster than the orange....

T.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,464
Hmmmm....sounds familiar!

Somebody else in the same predicament as myself. Very interesting read.

I too have been quoted a similar price for a new 06' 'S' and am unsure what to do. Seems to me like they hold their money so well, it's worth getting a new one!! Also, if you buy a new one from that dealer, they will more than likely knock you 25% off all the extras you buy at the same time which makes it even more atractive to me!

$15K for a new 06' 'S' with Akras, CF guards, top box, KTM guards, bar risers and TT&L......Hmmmmmmmm

What we gonna do?!?!?
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,225
I don't think the gs is going to see much more daylight just quietly...

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
craft
Aventurero

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike955i

Agreed...Something sweet about breaking in your own 950, your own way. Oh wait, the "orange is best" part, I don't agree with that.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,736
Option #3 is sold as of this evening. Boy, that was a nice deal. And it was Orange......
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #12
taco

Oddometer: n/a
Wicked option

[quote=Accumulate less, live more
Old 05-17-2006, 05:04 AM   #13
Louge
silence of the limbs

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
I don't think the gs is going to see much more daylight just quietly...
Come clean Mouse, stop baiting the man
Louge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #14
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 354
I've got a 950S '04 and get both feet down no problem with my 32" inseem. The bike is so balanced compared to a GS1150 (my previous) that one foot is all you ever need at stops anyway.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #15
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
???

I rode a 05 non-S today and I was on tip-toes in my riding boots. My understanding is that the 04 S was very tall. Why does my question rate your response? I said I have not yet sat on it.

My GS Adventure is pretty tall but I can deal with it.

Just asking for advice here....

T.

My point is, if i can do it (04 S) anyone can, 5'10" (31" inseam) here.

You'll be damn glad to have the S when you get offroad. Remember, the 950 is alot lighter than the GS.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote