User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Lomax OP
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,641
Electrical Accessories Wiring.

I just picked up a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure and am looking for some advice as to where to hook up all the electrical accessories on it. With the battery in the belly of the beast this is not clear to me.

I see that there are two spare fuses on the fuse block in the glove box but where do these terminate? Are there special wires under the headlight where I can hook up to these? I would think that the GPS and heated grips would be good candidates to hook to these circuits.

The powerlet socket and Battery Tender lead may also be used for things such as a heated vest so they should be as close to the battery (or starter?) as possible.

To be hooked up.
Powerlet socket. I may use a tank bag so I do not know if putting this in the glove box is a good idea.
Heated Grips.
Battery Tender lead.
Garmin GPS hard wire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Marc
Old 05-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
Marc,

Congrats. Here's what I did.

I ran 14 ga doubled sheathed wiring direct to the battery terminals. All normal and proper wiring rules apply. Use top grade stuff, heat shrink with adhesive tubing etc.

I terminated the wiring in an SAE plug (battery tender) pigtail that exits right at the handlebars. My tank bag is electrified, and plugs into this pigtail, so I now have continuous power going to the tank bag when it is plugged in. I did this so my phone can charge while I'm getting a bite to eat, my air compressor will be directly powered from the battery, it provides a perfect spot to plug in the battery tender. I can also unplug the tank bag and take it with me. Need to remember to unplug it so battery doesn't drain.

I have in the tank bag: AutoComm, XM radio, Phone, 3 cig outlets, and HAM radio. Nice not to have to undo all that stuff, plus I don't want all that crap on my handlebars. I did not use a Centek or Blue Seas fuse box. Too much stuff.

Heated grips get plugged into the ACC which is switched, can't remember which one. They are located behind the headlight/speedo and say ACC1/ACC2 on them. Easy to figure out which is which with a voltmeter. I used the Dual-Star kit. 29 clams and you don't need to wrap the bars, super easy and they work great.

GPS gets hardwired to the other non-switched outlet. Nice to not have to reboot every gas stop. Also need to be vigilant about remembering to turn it off. 176C mounted in TT holder in dashboard.

Some of the details I posted here
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
ZenMoto
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 677
The two ACC leads terminate just behind the headlight (They are zip tied agasint a support with a bunch of other wiring and are marked ACC1 & ACC2). IIRC, ACC2 is the one that is always on, and ACC1 is switched with the ignition ...I might have that backwards, but it's easy enough to test while you're in there. KTM was even nice enough to fit the neds with female plugs, so you just need to solder on a male spade connector to whatever you're wiring in. Installing my GPS power line took less than 5 minutes.

They are rated at 10 Amps, so they are fine for using GPS, heated grips, etc. For something like a horn though, they aren't robust enough; for something with that kind of draw you'll want to run a heavier guage line from the battery (and instrall in inline fuse).

Best of luck.

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Lomax OP
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,641
Fantastic Information. Just what I needed to get me started.

When you installed the Battery Tender Lead directly to the battery did you just cut a notch in the top of the battery box to run it out of? Then I assume just judicious use of routing and tyraps to get it up to the steering head?

+1 on the Dual-Star heated grips. I have them on my KLR and they are an easy install and work great. I just happen to have an extra set laying around.

Thanks so much.

Lets hear other ideas as wonderful as these.

Marc
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
boxercup03
Jim Taylor

Oddometer: 438
I Use An Ap1 Accessory Fuse Block.it's Mounted In My Glove Box And Hard Wired To The Battery.very Clean And Easy Way To Do It And You Can Power Up To 8 Accessories Off Of It Without Tapping Into Your Wiring. I Have Autocom,radar,2 Gps,and Cb Running Thru Ap1,
boxercup03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
When you installed the Battery Tender Lead directly to the battery did you just cut a notch in the top of the battery box to run it out of? Then I assume just judicious use of routing and tyraps to get it up to the steering head?
Spoken like a man who has seen the battery box. Whacked out a slot with a utility knife. Yep, it took a couple tries to get it right. Originallly I pulled the wires too tight, and it broke off the ring terminal due to vibration. I eased up the tension, installed a new ring, and re ziptied. I really like the Ancor wire. Super heavy duty, pre-tinned and double sheathed. No need to worry about chafe.

The battery tender lead was kind of a fluke. I couldn't get any powerlet outlets and I really like to solder and crimp. So I decided to use the SAE plugs. After the fact, I realized that I had dodged a bullet and wired the pigtail and battery tender lead so pos=pos and neg=neg.

I love my setup. I also ran aux lighting off the battery lead, switched by a relay via high beam. Works great. I hid the switch in the glove box as I didn't want any glowing LEDs looking at me.
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Here's how I did it...

At the battery (I now have a 30A fuse there on the positive lead):

In the glove box (I now have 3 flat plugs and one "cigarette lighter" socket hard-wired there - and no fuse):

That gives me enough for GPS power, two thermostats and 12v socket for phone charging/iPod, etc.

FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Doog
The Complete Squid

Oddometer: 101
ZenMoto is right - Acc2 is always hot. Acc1 turns off with ignition.
I found out the hard way when I left my grips (wired to Acc2) on overnight last week.
And I also found out that these bikes cannot be jumped - you have to have a charged battery for the ignition to work...

Old 05-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB
At the battery (I now have a 30A fuse there on the positive lead)
30 amp fuse? What gauge is that wire? It doesn't look all that heavy, but then again, the pic might be deceiving.

I know some of the tables say you can go smaller than 10 gauge on a short run, but I wouldn't go anything less. YMMV

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
It's regular lamp cord.

I have the 30A to protect against a dead short and to stand up to a charger.

Probably a lot more than I need, but it may be supporting electric vest, electric gloves, GPS and phone/iPod at the same time.
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB
It's regular lamp cord.

I have the 30A to protect against a dead short and to stand up to a charger.

Probably a lot more than I need, but it may be supporting electric vest, electric gloves, GPS and phone/iPod at the same time.
If the lamp cord is 14 guage, you might want to take that fuse down to 20 amps. I've seen some resources that say that you can use 14 gauge for 30 amps on a short run, but I don't think I would do it.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
La_Poderosa_3
It's not freezing!!!!

Oddometer: 164
Here's how I did it....

This was a fun project. And from the numerous posts you can see that there are about a million ways to do it.

This is my story. My advice, drink a lot:

http://shitebunny.com/blog/_archives...5/1799142.html

I have since relocated the GPS to behind the windscreen using the touratech mount.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
dtrides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Ok folks, I have a new 950 SM and am atempting to use the acc 2 behind the head light for my GPS. Only problem is no power at plug. Either plug (1 or2) for that matter. checked at the fuse block and every thing is fine there. Ohm'ed the plugs and the grounds are fine. Ideas????
dtrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,415
Post #12. 05-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Post #13 Today, 08:25 PM
Gotta love a post that fast-forwards 3+ years!

Quote:
Ok folks, I have a new 950 SM and am atempting to use the acc 2 behind the head light for my GPS. Only problem is no power at plug. Either plug (1 or2) for that matter. checked at the fuse block and every thing is fine there. Ohm'ed the plugs and the grounds are fine. Ideas????
Doesn't sound likely... If you have juice on the *fused* side of the fuse box and no juice at the end of the wire, the only real possibility is a loose connector or severed wire. Try ohming out the power lead between the end bullet connector and the fuse box and see if you can isolate the fault.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
fireproof46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
[QUOTE=FastEddieB]At the battery (I now have a 30A fuse there on the positive lead):

In the glove box (I now have 3 flat plugs and one "cigarette lighter" socket hard-wired there - and no fuse):

That gives me enough for GPS power, two thermostats and 12v socket for phone charging/iPod, etc.

Hi Fast Eddie,
I'm truly intrigued by your set up to get additional power outlets. May I know how it has been after 3 years?

Thanks

FP46
fireproof46 is offline   Reply With Quote