User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,170
Swags

I'm thinking of buying a swag for the OCR.I'll be taking a small tent also in case of bad weather.What's style of swag would be best and why.

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,114
One's made of canvas are usually the best

Want the mozzie sceen to go all the way to the bottom - so it's cooler in summer.Nothin worse than being warm already and having canvas over ya legs - my 2c

I've got a DB Swag - had it for nearly 20 yrs - dunno if they are still about.I think they were one of the first swags that were fully enclosed - not the old envelope type.Cost me nearly $400 back then - has turned out to be great investment.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
Dee Cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Andrew I have been using a swag for many miles and many years and it rolls up as large as the average sleeping bag. It comprises of a good quality down sleeping bag (small and light), a three quater self inflating mat ,a blow up pillow and the swag itself is the lightest canvas available with a mossi net chucked in that you can hang up on a hot night if need be. Swags can be notoriously hot if you have to close them to hide from the bugs. The mat is proberly on the thin side for most people but it does keep the bulk down. I tried a cheap plastic tarp once but they tend to sweat on a cold night and are really noisy if you are having a restless night.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #4
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2
I'm thinking of buying a swag for the OCR.I'll be taking a small tent also in case of bad weather.What's style of swag would be best and why.
My swag is the basic model about 15 years old, large piece of canvas folded over twice with verco straps. Its a bit big and bulky for the bike but possible normally use it for 4x4ing. The newer swags look a lot lighter fold up better and could pass for mini tents.
http://www.rangercamping.com.au/Rang...wags/index.htm
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
mike cramb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
me to

Im after a small swag also my 20 year old darche is a bit big to carry on the bike. I want one that will use one of those self inflateing mattrees and roll up to fit on the back of the KTM.

MIKE
Old 05-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

Is there any pros and cons of different styles of swags,anything that I should avoid etc.The one I'm looking at is zipped down one side with a mozzie net and flap at the end and can be tied up to a tree or bike handlebar around the head area.It does'nt have the semi circle loop at the ends.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2
Is there any pros and cons of different styles of swags,anything that I should avoid etc.The one I'm looking at is zipped down one side with a mozzie net and flap at the end and can be tied up to a tree or bike handlebar around the head area.It does'nt have the semi circle loop at the ends.
IMO if you're going that way i would get a small tent like the one ARB sells, its yellow tubed shape and takes about 2 seconds to erect, packs flat but about a metre in diameter. and a decent sleeping bag. i also like the Jumbuck which i think is more tent than swag http://www.rangercamping.com.au/Rang...gs/Jumbuck.htm but thinks a good s/bag would also be needed.
ed
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:43 AM   #8
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

I'm a tent man too but I'm thinking putting the tent up and down everyday for 4-5 weeks is going to get monotonous,so am considering the simplicity of the swag.

Old 05-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #9
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_r1200gs
Andrew that's true, and if I don't feel like putting tent up and I'm confident with the weather (which is most of the time) then sleeping bag on the ground sheet is fine.
Pete

I don't think that's going to be an option in the desert in the middle of winter though

Old 05-20-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,332
A plain swag might work for me - they all seem super bulky for bike travel (I'm happy to be convinced otherwise).

My problem is claustraphobia. Its irrational, I suffer from it. I feel uneasy in the back seat of a car - near door is better than the middle. Those small coffin like tents, sarcoficus, speed humps don't help me at all. Out in the open is ok, or the minimum of a 3 person tent - zips only patially closed and a waxed sleeping bag zip is the go.

Wasn't there a thing called a bikerz swag marketed once - oiled cotton thing?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 01:38 AM   #11
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,114
Hey Biatch,
you saw my swag (which is fairly big) on top of the rallye at albert.Wasn't too big - will look small on the PIG. Trust me
Old 05-20-2006, 02:06 AM   #12
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Those small coffin like tents, sarcoficus, speed humps don't help me at all.
Wot, like this?:

Quote:
You could try these: http://www.kidamanoilskins.com.au/swags.htm

There's 'bivvy bags' for hikers, but they're not popular here and thus they're expensive. But at least they're very light. Those Hennesey Hammocks are pretty good but you need a couple of trees. I can't see the point of canvas swags on a bike ... by the time you tie the thing on securely enough, you might as well have pitched a tent!

I'll probably be bringing the 3-man tunnel to Alpine just in case the weather is effing miserable ...

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #13
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeglessOne
Hey Biatch,
you saw my swag (which is fairly big) on top of the rallye at albert.Wasn't too big - will look small on the PIG. Trust me

It's gotta be big to get you in it

Old 05-20-2006, 02:34 AM   #14
FuddyLogic
Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer: 1,048
Howdy Andrew,

Nothing beats the look of a loaded bike with a swag across the back...

I understand what you're saying about tents, the idea of putting up and packing up each day on the road becomes a hassle. Having said that, I carry a tent for extended wet weather, and privacy when at caravan parks etc.

I've got 2 swags: 1 the simple envelope type, and the other is the hooped type with the mesh top, and rear window.

Up north with the envelope type you have the choice between being as hot as hell in the swag, or being eaten alive by the mossies.

The hooped type is more bulky, avoids the mossie problem, but can still get bloody hot.

A swag's great cos all your bedding is in the one place, and you just simply roll it up and secure it across the bag seat. At camp the swag doubles as a seat.Travelling, your bedding stays dry, and the swag make a great backrest on the longer hauls. Ripping out the foam mattress, and using a thermo rest will reduce bulk, also using a good hiking sleeping bag, and a silk liner. (I used to carry a donna as I hate sleeping bags)

If I travelled oz again, I'd take a simple envelope type swag, some mossie netting, and my hiking tent - all rolled up on the back seat

Saw these at the camping shop the other day.
Bivi Bag
They were $$$, not as roomy as your typical swag, but would sure weigh a lot less. Might be worth a look...

Fuddy

Is it cider o'clock yet?
----------------------------
KTM 640 ADV, Yamaha TTR 250, BMW R1150RT

Ride Pics
FuddyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
FuddyLogic
Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
A plain swag might work for me - they all seem super bulky for bike travel (I'm happy to be convinced otherwise).

My problem is claustraphobia. Its irrational, I suffer from it. I feel uneasy in the back seat of a car - near door is better than the middle. Those small coffin like tents, sarcoficus, speed humps don't help me at all. Out in the open is ok, or the minimum of a 3 person tent - zips only patially closed and a waxed sleeping bag zip is the go.

Howdy Dave,

There was a biker swag, was narrower than the standard, and packed up nicely...sorry not sure which brand.

I get a bit claustraphobic in tents too, that's the other reason I love the swag

Fuddy

Is it cider o'clock yet?
----------------------------
KTM 640 ADV, Yamaha TTR 250, BMW R1150RT

Ride Pics
FuddyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote