Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2006, 03:22 AM   #16
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2
I'm thinking of buying a swag for the OCR.I'll be taking a small tent also in case of bad weather.What's style of swag would be best and why.
Go and have a look at amart allsports in shellharbour. They have quite a few swags in there. I am looking at one in Nowra thats about $130 and seems to pack down fairly small.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:27 AM   #17
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,170
Thumb

I used a swag for my 6 weeks half-lap od Australia back in 1991.
Got stuck in Townsville with some wet weather while I waited for the shops to open so that I could put on new chain & sprockets.
I used ocky straps (would use Andyz Strapz now though) to secure it - no problemo.
There's something great about waking up in the middle of nowhere, rolling up your swag and taking off into the sunrise.
I'll have a lok at the brand tonight - I bought mine from a queensland outfit who used a heavy-duty plastic base which was water and dust proof when rolled up, seam-sealed, and the swag was water-proof. I had a self-inflatring mattress rolled up in it, deflated. After a hard day in the saddle, it was easy to sleep. Every 6-7 days or so I treated myself to an overnight motel, mainly for privacy reaons I guess - whilst I was on the east coast.
I have just received my Bibler Ahwahnee tent I purchased on fleabay - I will put it up on Monday - tomorrow is the big ride east of Perth with Pete & Steve :o)
The tent weighes 3 kgs packed; it needs a compression sack I think - it's a bit bulky in it's orignal bag.
For over-nighters, I would still be very tempted to use the swag. I'm also going to check out lightweight sleeping bags; bedding is one of the space-consuming items when travelling I have found, along with food/water supplies; I've bought an expensive tent, which I intend to use.
Who knows - maybe after a squirt on Pete's R1200GS tomorrow it will sway me to a big-bore tourer [?]

Cheers,
Dave
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #18
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,990
http://www.outfitters.com.au/html/biker_swag.html
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #19
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuddyLogic
Ripping out the foam mattress, and using a thermo rest will reduce bulk, also using a good hiking sleeping bag, and a silk liner. (I used to carry a donna as I hate sleeping bags)

You used to carry a donna

Spose she would keep you warm

She wouldn't pack down as small as a sleeping bag tho
Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #20
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoto16
You used to carry a donna

Spose she would keep you warm

She wouldn't pack down as small as a sleeping bag tho

Is that like that rock star Medoona

She'd fold up pretty small though
Old 05-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #21
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeglessOne
Is that like that rock star Medoona

She'd fold up pretty small though
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #22
FuddyLogic
Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer: 1,048
lmao Scott....whoops

Well what's a guy supposed to do on those cold lonely nights out on the road..

Here's the biker swag from ATGreg's link with a Donna

Fuddy

Is it cider o'clock yet?
----------------------------
KTM 640 ADV, Yamaha TTR 250, BMW R1150RT

Ride Pics
FuddyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 PM   #23
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
lmao Scott....whoops

Well what's a guy supposed to do on those cold lonely nights out on the road..

Here's the biker swag from ATGreg's link with a Donna
That's the one I've been looking at.There's 2 types,one that does'nt close at the end ( not for me-don't want to share me swag with anything that might be cold through the night and is looking for somewhere warm to sleep ,you know like spiders,snakes,Leglessones).The other one has a mesh screen at the end and a flap that covers it.The second one is $250.
A2

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:08 AM   #24
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
I like the tent option.

I get to a site and set up a good size Dome tent in around five minutes (only use four pegs) and put my luggage in the tent. I then use one of the bags/panniers as an esky and enjoy the afternoon. All my gear is in plastic bags in the tent so I can find it easy and it is dry if it rains. Plus I can read or have a mini party in the tent should the weather not be kind and there is no other available shelter.

Tent or swag don't really matter - so long as you are out there
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:24 AM   #25
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Another vote for a tent.
2 poles , 4 pegs , about 2 minutes to set up.
Macpac 2 perston tent that cost $500 , but has lasted 10 years of Tassie (and a few trips to the big island) camping.

Swags have always seemed to big and bulky to me.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:49 AM   #26
voidifbroken
dirt-n00b

Oddometer: 27
I must confess i like the tent option myself.

Dome tent - quick and easy to put up especially if you cant get pegs into the ground. Once youve put em up and taken em down a couple of times you get into a nice quick routine.

Plenty of room to get all your gear inside, stretch out and be comfortable.Especially if its wet.

Mind you if a blonde like that came with the swag....
Old 05-21-2006, 04:27 AM   #27
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Howdy Andrew,

Nothing beats the look of a loaded bike with a swag across the back...

I understand what you're saying about tents, the idea of putting up and packing up each day on the road becomes a hassle. Having said that, I carry a tent for extended wet weather, and privacy when at caravan parks etc.

I've got 2 swags: 1 the simple envelope type, and the other is the hooped type with the mesh top, and rear window.

Up north with the envelope type you have the choice between being as hot as hell in the swag, or being eaten alive by the mossies.

The hooped type is more bulky, avoids the mossie problem, but can still get bloody hot.

A swag's great cos all your bedding is in the one place, and you just simply roll it up and secure it across the bag seat. At camp the swag doubles as a seat.Travelling, your bedding stays dry, and the swag make a great backrest on the longer hauls. Ripping out the foam mattress, and using a thermo rest will reduce bulk, also using a good hiking sleeping bag, and a silk liner. (I used to carry a donna as I hate sleeping bags)

If I travelled oz again, I'd take a simple envelope type swag, some mossie netting, and my hiking tent - all rolled up on the back seat

Saw these at the camping shop the other day.
Bivi Bag
They were $$$, not as roomy as your typical swag, but would sure weigh a lot less. Might be worth a look...
I happen to agree with the swag option for a few reasons,
If you individually have a sleeping bag, tent and a bed roll the chances of one of then comming loose and falling off is quite high, I lost my tent on the second last day of a two week ride and had to ride 1000KM in one day to get home, after this I decided to go for a swag, OK they can be heavy, however you can have your Thermorest, down sleeping bag and extra clothes inside, 100% water proof, and only requires two straps to hold it onto the back of the bike, and as Andrew said it can make a good back rest and a seat,
Look for a X-large swag, mine is a side entry with a full length mozzie net, in the summer the outer flap acts as a tarp to keep your gear under, in the winter they are great, nice and warm down to - 12, outside and -5 inside the swag.....
Also getting a swag leaves room in the panniers for other things that the tent and sleeping bag would have taken up, read the posts further down and the shade cloth is a top idea also.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #28
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,349
Howdy Andrew,
Well you saw my beastie at Albert, just throw it out on the ground, how much more convenient can it get? I didn't like the mattress though, i'm thinking my poor old back needs more support so i'm replacing the foam mattress with an air bed, should roll down a bit smaller too. Got the swag new off ebay a coupla months ago, a touch over $200 with freight from memory. Stacks of room, well made etc etc. Had a look at the biker swags which were the same price but about 150mm narrower which would make it a bit cramped i reckon.
Just my .02 worth.

“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #29
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,835
Interesting thread.

On my first trip into Rudall I used a home made swag. 9 oz canvas I think with just a cheap $10 K-Mart closed foam mattress about 10mm thick. I loved being able to just roll it out and fall asleep within seconds. When I'm knackered at the end of a long day, my priorities are food and bed. Not putting up a tent, sometimes in the dark with a head torch

I debated for weeks what to take on the trip this time. If it rains or there are a lot of mosquitoes, nothing beats a tent. Spread your stuff out, cook in there.

At the moment I don't have one and would have to buy. In the end I left my two man Eureka "Hobbit" (2.8kg) behind and took a little
one man tent (1.9kg). Put it and the Earth Mat, sleeping bag and a small tripod seat in a canvas bag on the back. Probably took up about as much space as a swag with the added advantage of being able to put other stuff in the bag, light weight jacket, etc.

I am still debating the issue. I think most commercial swags are too heavy and with the hoops, fly screens, etc you may as well have a dome tent.
My Hobbit will go up without any pegs if need be, in about 3 minutes.

Andrew2's idea of a swag and a small tent for a long trip isn't bad. Tent for when there are mossies, rain or you're in a caravan park and need privacy, swag for all other times. But then again, it feels like you're doubling up.

Descisions, descisions.

Andrew Linton.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #30
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 9,019
l lived in a swag for two years in various stock and fencing camps in the territory and fnq - the best swags I've seen and used consisted on a sheet of good canvas roughly 12' * 12'.

With a piece this size it gave you the option of folding it over the top of you including over your feet and head, flicking it over a rope for a tent style A frame, plenty of space around it for putting your gear etc.

Most commercial swags I've seen look terrible, the canvas is too small and they seem full of stuff like zips and bug screens that appear woftam. Plus they are way too bulky.

Buy a sheet of canvas, put in your self inflating mattress, a king size blanket or polar fleece version and use your clothes for a pillow. Job done.

Swags are not useful day shelters, when in camp we usually got in well after dark and were out before the false dawn.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote