Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #46
motomartin
Banned

Oddometer: 758
stick a swag in a hiking tent ? best of both worlds and you don't need to use the tent all the time 'cept in bad weather.

http://www.campingworld.net.au/?page...ategoryId=2451

There must be something similar over here to these 'biker' quick-erect lightweight type ? ..surely ??

http://www.khyam.co.uk/product_tent....acking/Cycling

Autostream screwed with this post 03-11-2009 at 02:03 AM
motomartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #47
Russ

Oddometer: 15,803
Quote:
stick a swag in a hiking tent ? best of both worlds and you don't need to use the tent all the time 'cept in bad weather.

http://www.campingworld.net.au/?page...ategoryId=2451

There must be something similar over here to these 'biker' quick-erect lightweight type ? ..surely ??

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #48
maccajim
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
Swagman swag

The pros and cons of swag versus tent basically at the end of the ride I cant be stuffed setting up a tent. Swag just roll it out job done plus in the cold much warmer than a tent as u have a confined space like having double sleeping bags.
I stuck to a tent for a few rides thinking it was smaller more room etc, but after multiple days i was sick of rolling up tent making sure it is dry rolling up bag mat etc.
On the bike

Swag is much better this is mine it has a mat and sleeping bag in it so instant camp waterproof and mossie proof.
I thought it would be no good for hot muggy temp but this is inland from Coffs Harbour in Jan (28c day) and it was fine.
Setup string attached to bike holds it as an A frame and bit of security.

I thought i would still use the tent for warmer stuff but apart from tropical QLD and the NT i will stick to the swag.
maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #49
The Fireman
on the edge

Oddometer: 257
another vote for swag

I have both , I prefer the swag to sleep in ,,got 3 different types......
- very basic bike swag,
- king single ultra thick (3") foam with big down doona,
- double with self inflate mat in as well as high density foam.
++(bottle of red/scotch/rum etc rolled in!!!)
+ small tarp off the Ute/bike and all is good.

But in bad weather you can't beat a small dome or hike tent to get out of the elements, and you can shot all your gear in and it stays dry too.
inside either a therma rest, sleeping, bag liner, or swag.

All depends on mode of transport for me, on the offroader pack light, on the roadie, bit more comfort, trailer the bikes, then all out comfort.

like most have said personal choice and application judge it..

My $00.02 worth.

Macka.....

98% Of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
- Anonymous

The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #50
Micl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I have had a bushwalking background so my gear is light and small which is ideal for bike touring. Just bought an exped inflatable matress, these things are expensive but they are basically an airbed with down or hollowfil in them. They provide better insulation than the normal self inflating matresses roll up half the size and are 3-4 inches thick and so much more comfortable than any other camp mat I have used. Seriously if you sleep on one you will never go back. Sleeping bag I have a good down one that is small and light. Tent wise I have a few options but prefered for long trips has been a tent and a bivy bag. The bivy bag is like sleeping in a body bag, works well in most conditions but sucks if really hot or pissing down or if you turn up somewhere early and want shelter but don't want to go to bed. So if I am just doing a quick stop and sleep in reasonable conditions the bivy bag is great if longer I put up the tent. My tent pitches with fly and inner combined and i can put it up in sub 5 minutes. Total weight of everything is probably about 6kg and it takes up stuff all room.

Mic
Micl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #51
Racketeer
Must escape......

Oddometer: 881
Try a Bivi????

Hi Andrew

I have also been thinking about a swag..... they are just tooo heavy I reckon.

But what about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Used-Genuine-...3286.m63.l1177

OR

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

What do you think about these....???

Something else to think about anyway....
Racketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #52
maccajim
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
swag

good
packed with air matress and sleeping bag, much quicker to setup and pack up camp.

Unpacked camping so simple and this is in hot summer near coffs harbour in Jan full summer keeps out the mossies and lets a breeze through.

maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #53
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:

Faaark, 4kg, that's one heavy mofo where does the lightweight come in?

I'm going tarping for a while, stuff the tents & swags, be one with the creepy crawlies

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #54
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,456
Bit more in the middle maybe

http://www.bdel.com/gear/tripod.php
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #55
miyata610
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I was thinking of using my little hike tent (1.9kg), leaving my thermarest and sleepping bag inside it and just rolling it up like a swag. It just has two little poles and only needs a few pegs. Best of both worlds maybe.

Haven't tried rolling it up with the bedding inside yet tho.

Here it is....

Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #56
gxdoyle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
This is what I use - a cheap $190 swag from Ray's OUtdoors, a $100 sleeping bag and a $80 self-inflating mattress from Anaconda. Once I had sealed the swag (seams with wax and canvas with spray-on sealant) it all worked fine in all conditions.

The swag does not have a fly so I wear a fly veil thinggy if their are bugs. I am considering velcroing some fly screen into each end.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #57
Passion_Fingers
showers arnt for everyone

Oddometer: 113
i have a mantis 2 was gonna use it on longer rides incase of bad weatehr but thought that a swag for up to a week would be the go roll out and bed thats it the bikerswags seem very interesting but i recon im a tad too large for it to be roomy

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/Bignhairy/
Passion_Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #58
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
I just bought an OzTrail Biker + one of CanoeGuy's sleeping bags..seems good so far..and wraps up very small..

L0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #59
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,798
until it pisses down

I am a big fan of the swag - but a small tent allows you to get you and your gear out of the rain... try putting your riding gear in your swag with you!!! I love my swag but find my small tent best - espeically on multi day rides..

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccajim
The pros and cons of swag versus tent basically at the end of the ride I cant be stuffed setting up a tent. Swag just roll it out job done plus in the cold much warmer than a tent as u have a confined space like having double sleeping bags.
I stuck to a tent for a few rides thinking it was smaller more room etc, but after multiple days i was sick of rolling up tent making sure it is dry rolling up bag mat etc.
On the bike

Swag is much better this is mine it has a mat and sleeping bag in it so instant camp waterproof and mossie proof.
I thought it would be no good for hot muggy temp but this is inland from Coffs Harbour in Jan (28c day) and it was fine.
Setup string attached to bike holds it as an A frame and bit of security.

I thought i would still use the tent for warmer stuff but apart from tropical QLD and the NT i will stick to the swag.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #60
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
I am a big fan of the swag - but a small tent allows you to get you and your gear out of the rain... try putting your riding gear in your swag with you!!! I love my swag but find my small tent best - espeically on multi day rides..

Joe
I have an Oztrail biker swag and its very very good in cold weather but really sucks when its wet. It doesn't have enough room to put your gear in and the little vestibule at the end does not protect stuff well enough.
On my last trip I used my new Outer-limits Orbit 2 tent and was glad I did because it rained constantly, but apart from packing up a wet tent, I was dry and comfortable.

What I need to make things a bit more compact is a quality self-inflating mattress.

I'm a tent convert!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote