User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #61
maccajim
Holding the Awesome

Oddometer: 550
Tent or Swag

It depends where u are riding I reckon East coast QLD coast And Tropics use a tent as the chance of rain is pretty high. For over the great divide in winter and dessert trips not much chance of rain swags are much quicker to setup and i reckon warmer.

I was sick of mostly packing up the tent on a long trip as i had a bad system, Tent in its own bag, matt in its stuff sack and sleeping bag, so packing up in the morning sucked and seemed to take ages stuffing them into 3 seperate bags.
In hindsight I should have got a bigger bag for the tent so i could leave matt and sleep bag in the one.

With the swag the only thing hard to put somewhere when raining is the MX boots got to put them in the vestibule bit and may get wet, everything else can go back in Andy panniers wich have waterproof liners, I have ridden in heavy rain for 2 days with them and not wet bits.
maccajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #62
trussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
anaconda sale

Gidday, I was in anaconda today and as usual they have a sale on.

They had 40% off denali tents again, there is a hiking/lightweight model (zephyr 1) that ends up being about $100, it is the same shape as a swag, but about 2.7m long and a metre or so wide and high at the front. they also have a zephyr 2 which is a bit bigger.

i actually bought one to use for the NSW xmas trip, but ended up staying with rigs in his room, so it is still new in the bag.

just me 2 cents.
trussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #63
Mighty Steed
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Swags

Just purchased a canvas swag 700mm wide with flaps that zip all way round,sliped in a self inflating matress and also my -5deg sleeping bag.
Swag and matress only cost $180Aud from a local camping store on the North Coast. Seems to me like a good set up!!!!
Whole lot rolled up in a water proof bag is only 700mm wide by about 250mm to 300mm thick. (depends how much effort i put into rolling it nice and tight)I reakon the lot on the bike is just the right size only weighs 6kg.
I also have a two man tent that can fit in my throw over soft panniers.
Hope this will help.

Me and my Mighty Steed
Mighty Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #64
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,254
Swags V's Tents

G'day all ,

A recurring theme in this thread seems to be that with a swag you cant keep your gear dry when it rains , WELL with a bit of a think , it becomes a no brainer .

Anyone that was at the Moonan Flat pissup and was still there in the morning would have seen my set up . I have a swag , with a self inflating 7.5 cm thick mattress and sleeping bag all rolled up in the swag and a poly tarp , with tent poles and pegs and ropes to act as a fly all rolled into one sort of compact package.
At Moonan it rained most of the morning and none of my gear got wet , as my tarp covered my bike , my swag and all of my gear , the tarp is a 12 ' x 12' and the poles are just the old four piece tent pole which once pulled down all rolls into the swag for carrying to the next camp site. pic below shows it all rolled up on the bike. small bag on top carried my pub clothes.

Cheers Alan
Old 03-12-2009, 03:00 AM   #65
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
I'm not a big fan of tents, always preferd a swag.

I picked up this Campout Biker swag in Alice after my old one fell to bits on the Tanami. It came with a 25mm foam matress and the bottom side is PVC ? coated canvas, I ditched the foam and use a old style inflatable instead.

Its the most comfy compact sleaping kit I've ever used.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 AM   #66
FuddyLogic
Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer: 1,048
Posted in this thread many moons ago ... but here are a couple of pics of my set up.

Swag on bike (the sexy blue'n'orange one)...

Tent set up on the left ...

The swag rolled up contains the tent/poles/pegs (1.7 kgs), silk liner, -5 sleeping bag, 3/4 thermorest, off the bike clothes, and wet weather gear if weather is fine.

From personal experience, just throwing the swag out is very handy when you get kicked out of your camping ground in the middle of the night, and have to relocate! ...

ps.thanks Scott & Middy for the pics

Fuddy

Is it cider o'clock yet?
----------------------------
KTM 640 ADV, Yamaha TTR 250, BMW R1150RT

Ride Pics

FuddyLogic screwed with this post 03-12-2009 at 03:09 AM
FuddyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #67
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_Fingers
am looking at getting a single swag to use on the bike and in the forby, i have currently got a mammoth double thing thats nearly as big as me (and i a bit on the large side ) was poking round on the net and found thease any ideas for or against? was going to get the single one with the mozzie net and put a self inflating materess in it. would mainly be used for shorter trips and overnighters. its either this or mouses idea . also WHEN WILL THEY MAKE A SLEEPING BAG FOR THE BIG FELLA! if i get them zipped up i have trouble unzipping them
I've got a caribee(sp) -10degC jumbo and it's huge (just like me ).So warm that even camping in the snow i still have it unzipped and use it as a blanket.But that could be because I have extra insulation.

As Al (Oldfatbeerman) says with planning a swag is as good as a tent and easier.

Shane
Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #68
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Revival

I dug up this old thread rather than start a newy. I am tetering on buying an OZtrail bike swag. Wondering if anyone has bought one and didnt like it

it seems that they have changed thier design from the one pictured in sidetrack one's post

to this ....

Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 AM   #69
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,490
Have the new one and it works great. Ditch the mattress and use a thermorest of some type, rolls up half the size.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:19 AM   #70
Lupine128
That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer: 925
i just got back about 4 hours ago from a 4 day, 2000K trip using the new oztrail biker swag.
it worked fine.
it's the first time i've used a swag and the first night was a little claustrophobic, after that all good.
the mattress supplied was ok, but not great. i'll probably get and use a therma rest to fit.
it rained at yetman last night (just briefly) and everything stayed dry so, yeah, result.
takes a couple of minutes to set up. it's easiest to get into through the top or you look like an idiot crawling in through the end. when you get up in the morning you'll want to take a minute to straighten everything up before you close it up again so it all rolls up right.
i bought a $5 tarp that goes over the bike with everything under it and my boots were sat under the stand side where the tarp covered them so everything was good.
can't compare them to any others as i haven't used any others but it seems good to me.
cost me $160 including shipping from snowys in melbourne.
hope that helps.

Dropped from full Team F5 sponsorship due to family commitments.
Stupid family.
Lupine128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 AM   #71
Eaglebeak
Aussie BM rider, West Oz.

Oddometer: 1,823
I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now. It's done at least two Perth to east coast trips and numerous others in WA.

Warmer than a tent. Quicker to put up.

I pack a 3/4 light Therma Rest in it, plus a -0.5 C down bag, silk liner and a full size, real pillow.
Even with the pillow I reckon it's not too big.

I love it.

Another useful feature of swags. If staying on the floor in someones house you can just throw it down and it's all there.

I always carry a tarp as well for rainy nights and a couple of home made doweling poles, light as a feather and I usually roll the poles into the swag.

regards
Andrew.
Eaglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #72
Andrew2 OP
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,165
I can't fit in mine anymore

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #73
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 761
I also have an oz trail biker swag.
I use an xped mattress and sleeping bag wihich just roll up in the swag.
I also use a tarp and some rope to tie off to the bike and or trees.
I stuff the whole lot into a 100lt water proof duffle bag. Never had a wet bed yet.
Takes very little time to set and pack up.
I much prefer travelling this way. compared to a tent.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM   #74
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
I can't fit in mine anymore
Did it shrink or you grow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #75
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
This is my swag, it's a canvas polly mix tarp.

rolled up

peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote