ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
RL Lemke OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Arkansas 341

I have been riding Arkansas 341 for some time now. However, it appears that the world has learned about this road. The new road to nowhere with perfect traction and constant turns which climbs over a mountain.

Apparently, there are some injuries and even a death due to riding above required skill levels. This has caused this road to become a special enforcement area.

Riding there this weekend, we were busted on our return ride. For the time being, pass on this road during weekends. They appear to have spotters in the trees with LEOs on either end.

Fortunately, there are plenty of other road options, which I will keep to myself.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,600
Well RL, that really sucks. Hopefully the other good roads around there will remain as they are.
I got a performance award of my own this past weekend coming back from the HSTA TWISTAR rally in WI. 79 in a 55 on IA Hwy 3. Damn instant on got me in spite of my Valentine 1
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
gman350
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Well that's a shame, although I can't say it comes as much of a surprise.

Seems like more people every time I go down there.

Lots of good stuff in AR and southern MO.
gman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,811
Sure hate to hear that RL but, I was afraid the squids would find that road.
been riding 341 for quite a while and usually have only seen hunters pickups in the fall.

RL did they get you with radar?
sound like you do like we do, up and back, and they got you on the return huh?

I hope to make your fall ride again this year, broke my pelvis just before the 04 ride.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 AM   #5
RL Lemke OP
Beastly Adventurer

It appears that it was quite an opperation. We went up to the top of the mountain from the south end, then turned around to go back to 14. The LEO was waiting on the side of the road about half way down. He knew that we were turning around, that we had radar detectors, and that we were videoing the ride. I suspect that there was another LEO at the north end waiting for us, when we didn't make it assumed we turned around. Maybe there were others lurking in the trees. When the instant-on was illuminated, we were maybe 10 over. We were going to be stopped no matter what. We were let off with a warning and lecture about the deaths and lost leg they have had to deal with in the recent past.

BTW: The video came out real fine. The topper was the LEO standing in the middle of the road stopping us. BUSTED.

Locals say that most of the injuries are from locals trying to ride like us. However, we had a tag-along rider go down on 16, and saw another rider go down on 16 too. You have to know your limits, and be prepared for the eventual fall. Thankfully, the two falls on 16 were low sides and no serious injuries, to the rider or bikes.

For myself, I'm slowing down (or trying to). The LEOs are becoming better radar users. My deal is holding speed in the turns and just enjoying the scenery in the straight bits.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,591
That's bullshit. All but one of the wrecks requring an ambulance, or care flight this year were OUT OF STATE riders. There were NO local riders injured the year before. Someone's lying or ignorant. But I will say, the more people that stay away for what ever reason, the more I like it.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
RL Lemke OP
Beastly Adventurer

Local or out-of-state, it doesn't matter. When riders push their limits, whatever that limit is, and get hurt, it ruins it for all of us. When riders blast thru towns, whether with speed or loud exhaust, it ruins it for all of us.

I long for the days, just a few years ago, when I was the lone rider on so many backcountry roads. Fast, but quiet and respectful of town speed limits.

Riders should wear protective gear, maintain their bikes, and commit riding fundamentals to subconscious memory. However, in this day of helmetless riding, and very powerful sportbikes, there will be continued death and injury to riders everywhere.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
JamesC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
This post specifying the obvious identifier to everyone isn't exactly supportive of the cause. You could have used any of the other common names and gotten the point across :)

As Albie specified, virtually all of the accidents were non-locals. When you directly stated locals were at fault - I would say you made it 'matter'.
Insulting the locals doesn't seem like good karma to me ..and is not my experience personally. Hope you work past that successfully.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,811
RL, my riding buddy was down there a couple of years ago riding 341 at his own pace, not a slow pace, he used to do some roadracing and got passed by some squids.

they were wearing full leathers but they were dragging knees riding real agressively. a few miles down the road he came upon the carnage when a guy on a Honda went down. his bike was wedged in between two trees with the front end snapped off.
plastic everywhere, and the guy was up and walking like nothing happened, talk about lucky.

It's a road not a racetrack, some people never learn.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Push Mountain Road

We were at a MSSR rally 2 weekends ago, heard about the new high level of enforcement on 341, we went North and rode some really great stuff in Missouri. Left at 6:30am sunday morning and rode 341, evidently the lfo;s do not get up that early. had no problems, rode 14, went over and rode 123, then 16 back into Oklahoma. Had a blast. We think the article in cycle world, or rider is the one that got so many people riding 341. Too bad, will just have to pick and chose when we ride it.
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #11
ShakinNotStirred
The Deer Whisperer

Oddometer: 1
I have to relate an experience I had with one of the local AR riders. I was riding 341 on a 70mph sweeper when a deer shot out of the woods at full speed and nailed me in the side. (I didn't even have time to let up on the throttle.) Soon a local rider stopped and spent 45 min. with me at the scene, then led me down the mountain to the nearest hospital. I decided to try and make the trip home to OKC, so he followed me to a gas station, paid for my gas (wouldn't take no) and called me at home that night to make sure I made it OK. I did, but I had 7 broken bones in both hands, arm and ankle. I know it was stupid to ride home, but if you'd seen the hospital . . . ;-)
That guy was awesome and I'll never forget his kindness.
ShakinNotStirred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
Many many many great roads in Arkansas. First time I did 341 South off 16 was on a DR350SE loaded with camping gear and it was still fun. Now days I rather go play Arkansas on my KLR rather than me R1150GSA.
Then, as I'm sure RL knows, when you start adding the gravel roads, oh my!. And, you don't see so many others there. ;-)..... LEO's or Squids.

Other hints for enjoying Arkansas. Durning the week and in the winter.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #13
jsimmons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
The last two of times I rode 341 I met a pack of sportbikes. About 20 in the pack both times. All jammed up together, leathers and looking like something on a racetrack. I thought one of them was coming over and going to take me out as I passed them going the other way. That kind of riding is going to get cops out there. No way around it. We have been riding there for years in that area with no problems at all. But, there looks to be some really great gravel rides in the same area. So next trip down the oilhead is staying home and the F650 is going south.
Fiddle player
Fry Cook
jsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #14
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,130
So many roads...

Why settle on just 341. As stated by others, there are many great riding roads in this area. 341(Push Mtn) has turned into some kinda mecca for bikes.
I recently had a good, informative visit with the Sheriff of Baxter County. John is a motorcycle ride who understands and appreciates why we ride and why we ride like we do. He also understands that 341 is becoming more populated on the northern end and folks don't appreciate bike riders strafing them in the corners.
There are no "spotters" in the trees. The county leo's on the southern end are a pair of brothers from Big Flat who are deputy's. They are basically responsible for the the road from Lone Rock south. A patrol unit is covering the northen end. Baxter County doesn't have the resources to have extensive coverage on this road. This is not to say that there isn't/won't be leo presence on 341. It's just not consistent.
The one fatality that I'm aware of was a gentleman who had a heart attack while riding. His death is unfortunate, but not a result of his activities. He was an accomplished long distance rider who had made his way here from Alaska to visit some friends. Other accidents are mainly local/regional riders who find the edge of the envelope. I agree, there are track days for pushing it hard, but some folks just won't do that. They insist on using our public roads for a way to show just how fast they are.
Bring yer dual sports. There's miles and miles of pavement/gravel combos to enjoy. Check out RL's Fall Color Tour. I love living in this area and having such a wide variety of roads to choose from. Ya'll come visit, have a good time, and make it home safe. I'd rather read about your trip in ride reports rather than face plants.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:47 AM   #15
Shadowfax
Thinkin' 'bout that

Oddometer: 4
Why settle on just 341. As stated by others, there are many great riding roads in this area.

Very true. My son and I were over that way thursday and didn't even ride it. We rode so many different ones, I don't even remember all of them. We were on a day trip out of Bentonville. Wanted to make it over to 9 near Marshall, but ran out of time. We did sections of 12, 23, 74, 123, 14, 65, 86 (in Missouri), some dirt roads. We came through Kingston, Boxley, Jasper, took 74 (I think) east of Jasper. At 123 we turned north, instead of our usual south (On what I call the Arkansas Dragon), and somewhere up there we took a dirt road, attempting a "short cut" over to 14, but we came out back on 123, having missed a turn somewhere on that dirt road. Anyway, we rode a lot of 14 north of Yellville and as it was getting late, we used 86 in Missouri for a quick route back to NW Ark. It was all good. I like to ride over in Madison, Newton, Carrol, and Baxter Counties, southern Missouri, etc.

If I am by myself, I just head out, wind around, and come back. Half the time I couldn't even tell you which roads I am on. They are all good to better.

Got the Bentonville BMW sponsored ride in the morning. It's all good riding around here. I've been riding since the early 60's, though I'm a recent convert to the BMW GS and this kind of riding.

Just thought I'd post in here, since I'm a born and bred Arkansawyer, er Arkansan
"There is a principal which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ingorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." - Herbert Spencer

"I don't think that ain't right." - Lloyd Huggs
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote