ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
tbirdsp OP
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Routing issues 60Cx/Mapsource

Did the maiden voyage with my new 60Cx this past weekend. The organizers of the rally sent out the route as Garmin .gdb files.

1. Although I had auto-recalc turned off, whenever I highlighted a route and hit "navigate", the screen said "calculating..." as if it was rethinking the route.
I'm not sure if it changed anything, but I think it did. I also don't know what mapping product was used to lay out these routes (I have City Select v7) but if mis-matched maps were the problem shouldn't it have promted me first?

2 . If you are navigating a route that you loaded into the unit and hit "recalculate" does it
a) come up with a new autoroute to the destination of your original route with no regard for it (leaving your original saved route intact)
b) change your original route?
c) route you back to your route at the nearest via point or waypoint
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
tbirdsp OP
REMF

3. What speed figures does the unit uses to arrive at your "ETA at destination" ? Does it use current speed only, posted speed limits, or the speeds you put in Mapsource for your normal traveling speeds on certain types of roads?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Why do you think it changed anything?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
Middleweightboxer
Middleweightboxer

Oddometer: 680
I understand your delima. After I uploaded their latest firmware my 60C was useless for uploaded routes. I think I have worked around the new software benefits.

I set route tracking to offroad and I set it to prompt for recalculation (as I am using R&R maps, you might want to try the prompt for recalc setting first). When prompted, tell it NO for recalculating and it should display the route you uploaded without telling you what route it thinks you should follow. I just tried this last night and it looked like it was going to work but I haven't tested it on the road.

After I uploaded the latest software, I uploaded Roads & Recs routes and it was displaying starfish shapped or multiple parallel straight line routes. Absolutely useless and it was continually recalculating.

I have had major software problems with their last two versions.

I can't help you with #2.

#3 - I think it uses the calculated average speed for your ETA. When you start riding your ETA will fall until your averaged speed calculation flattens out.

Good Luck.

Tiger 800XC, R1, FZ1, RD400, CB400F
R80ST, R90S, Monster S2R, Penton 125 JPS, T25T

Middleweightboxer screwed with this post 05-22-2006 at 02:10 PM
Middleweightboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
tbirdsp OP
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Why do you think it changed anything?
I'm going to download the routes from the unit and see if they match up with what I uploaded. There were several cases where the routes didn't hit the via points as intended, instead of a loop it would take you up to a via point and then back.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
The 60-series always does a recalc when you start navigating a route. From the GPS's POV, a "route" is not the squiggly line that existed in MapSource, but simply a sequence of via points and waypoints that define the route - it rethinks the way to get between the points at activate time.

In addition to the recalc time, this can bite in other ways. If you're using someone else's route, they may have laid it out with a different set of maps loaded, or perhaps never intended that the route be auto-routed at all - it may be a direct route. (Most off-road or adventure-tour routes are intended to be used as direct routes, not auto-routed.) And routing preferences may have changed between MapSource and the GPS.

If you have the same map database in both MapSource and the GPS and the same routing preferences, the GPS "should" compute the same route as MapSource. There have been reports of discrepencies, although I'm never noted any.

While underway, a recalc generally takes you to directly to the closest viapoint/waypoint and then recomputes the route from there. Again, the routing between points is computed on the fly and never saved anywhere.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #7
tbirdsp OP
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
The 60-series always does a recalc when you start navigating a route. From the GPS's POV, a "route" is not the squiggly line that existed in MapSource, but simply a sequence of via points and waypoints that define the route - it rethinks the way to get between the points at activate time.
In addition to the recalc time, this can bite in other ways. If you're using someone else's route, they may have laid it out with a different set of maps loaded, or perhaps never intended that the route be auto-routed at all - it may be a direct route. (Most off-road or adventure-tour routes are intended to be used as direct routes, not auto-routed.) And routing preferences may have changed between MapSource and the GPS.
If you have the same map database in both MapSource and the GPS and the same routing preferences, the GPS "should" compute the same route as MapSource. There have been reports of discrepencies, although I'm never noted any.
While underway, a recalc generally takes you to directly to the closest viapoint/waypoint and then recomputes the route from there. Again, the routing between points is computed on the fly and never saved anywhere.

- Mark
Thanks Mark, your first point was my biggest question. I figured that's what it was doing, but wasn't sure. In one instance, the guy who sent out the route intended for there to be a loop through 2 via points. When I loaded it the 60Cx took me up to hit both points but instead of completing the the loop it sent me back down to where it had started.
My buddy has a Quest 1 and he said he got a "routes do not match maps" error. He had to redo the routes with extra via points to get them to go as intended. I should have used his modified routes rather than the originals. And even then we might not match because he has different mapping software.
I've been very careful to make sure at least MY routing preferences match between Mapsource and my units. I probbaly should have opened the original routes and then hit "recalculate" on the PC to see what it would do (while saving the original elsewhere of course).
No insurmountable problems here, mostly just my own learning curve
Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 AM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
No insurmountable problems here, mostly just my own learning curve
Good attitude. There's a lot of folks who really get thrown by this stuff. We're still in the infancy of GPS technology and there are a lot of rough edges, especially in the map data.

I've hard reports that the fancier GPSs (like the 2600 series) do read and use a representation of the route from MapSource which has more intermediate information than just the via points. If true, this would presumably force routes to carry over between databases and preferences more similarily.

Generally, I never use someone else's routes without loading them up on my MapSource and confirming they go where I expect. If the provider was intending direct routes, it usually takes a fair amount of work to get things to auto-route in a reasonable way - with direct routes, the waypoints may be off the roads completely and you'll get all kinds of weird routing when you are close to the waypoints. If they're designed for auto-routing, then the tweaks are usually minor.

Carry on,

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:46 AM   #9
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Here's how I figure it, based on a small amount of data...

In adition to earlier (no map) models, I had a Vista before I bought my 60C.

Mapsource used to send my PC autogenerated routes to my Visa with all the necessary turn directions in it. When I got my 60C (an autorouting GPS) all that got send from the autogenerated routes was the two endpoints...

I believe mapsource is DESIGNED to do this because you can buy the 60C without any mapping software, and if it sent the route the same was as to the Vista, then lots of people (like me) would have no reason to upgrade the maps to autorouting (on the GPS) maps...

I could get around this little jewel by first downloading the route to the Vista, then using another downloader product, move it to the 60C, but what a hassle. I eventually bought CitySelect and have upgraded to CityNav.

I'd guess that with the 26XX series GPS's, maps are included, so they let the route move with more detail in it...

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
tbirdsp OP
REMF

OK, I think I've got this now. One thing is you have to make sure the routing preferences are the same in Mapsource and on the GPS. However, the 60Cx has no "prefer minor roads - prefer highways" variable slider like Mapsource now does. Have any of you played with this enough to know what slider setting most accurately replicates what the 60 will do? Right now I just left mine centered in Mapsource. Or does it matter?
How do you know how many via points have to be added to make sure the unit follows your route exactly? (trial and error I'm sure).
Old 05-30-2006, 03:15 AM   #11
araspitfire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
If you know you want to go to certain roads on your route, the best thing to do is to make via points on it and force a visit to those spots.

Put a 2 point route in Mapsource...

Use the selection tool, and click on the route... drag the route over to the particular road you know you want visit... repeat...

Download the route to the GPS and the 60C will recalculate it... but will include your via points... so will match it in all the places that matter...

Al...
araspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
How do you know how many via points have to be added to make sure the unit follows your route exactly? (trial and error I'm sure).
Really depends on the length of the route and on the roads. And YMMV depending on the unit.

My 376 will try to send me back to a via point for quite some time, if I take a different road en route. Quickest way to get it to stop seems to be when you are back on the route at a closer point to the the next via or to the destination, to turn the route navigation off and back on. Recalc might work, haven't tried it. I guess I could go in and adjust the via points, but that is kind of hard while moving.

And sometimes based on the routing preferences (fast, direct, etc.) it will do even stranger things if there is a connecting road that you want, and a "faster" road nearby.

I'm not complaining about the unit, as it is an incredible piece of technology. But I do realize it happens and I retain my privelege to think independently and adjust my route while driving/riding.

I think the short answer is that if you put a via point at each turn on a road, and ones at intermediate points if you have a really long stretch, you will likely get the route you want. If not, it may try to route you up on the interestate and back if it thinks that is a better way to go.

An alternative is to set up a track, and navigate the track instead. That way there is no routing involved.

Dave

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #13
riderchick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Bluhduh now totally confused

OK I'm now totally confused. I'm having some of the problems mentioned in the thread. I planned specific routes for an upcoming trip to Canada using Mapsource on my laptop. Yesterday we attempted to transfer the routes, waypoints & maps to our 60CX and all that went over of the routes was the waypoints, not the actual roads that show up on Mapsource, and that means all that shows up is the start location and end.

When we let the Garmin route the trip between the waypoints it planned a completely different route than what came up on Mapsource. Still no superhighways, toll roads, etc but a longer route (for example, from Wilmington, DE to Wellsboro, PA via Jim Thorpe, PA -- on Mapsource 248 miles 6 hours, on the Garmin 322 miles 7.5 hours). May not seem like a prob to most, but we're riding 2-up for 10 days and with this being my first week long m/c trip, I'm not sure how many 300+ mile days I can handle.

Any ideas how a GPS Noob can get the stinkin routes from Mapsource to load on the 60CX exactly as seen on the computer?

Jennifer
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #14
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderchick

Any ideas how a GPS Noob can get the stinkin routes from Mapsource to load on the 60CX exactly as seen on the computer?

Jennifer
First - you have to have exactly the same maps (and versions) loaded. Then you have to make sure that you have all the routing preferences set the same. Use the same "avoids", type of vehicle, road pref.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:09 AM   #15
riderchick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Question

Do you mean transferring the maps & waypoints first and then transferring the route? We did all three simultaneously during the transfer step.

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD
First - you have to have exactly the same maps (and versions) loaded. Then you have to make sure that you have all the routing preferences set the same. Use the same "avoids", type of vehicle, road pref.