User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
JBSmith OP
Ink-stained wretch

Oddometer: 1,030
Sidehack questions

Questions for all the Ural loons and other three-wheelers out in ADVland...

I busted up my left wrist pretty badly in a car crash and it'll be some time (doc says could be a year from now) before it's strong enough for me to ride again. Even then it might not be strong enough to ride anything with a forward-leaning riding position (weight on the wrist) or anything very heavy (in case I drop it and have to pick it up). I want to keep riding, though, so I've started thinking about sidehacks.

I put a few hundred miles on an EML BMW rig years ago, and about 1000 on a factory H-D outfit. But my recollections of them are foggy, esp. WRT how much effort it takes to steer them. I know a single-track vehicle is virtually effortless by comparison, but that a properly designed leading-link front end on a hack reduces steering effort substantially.

The fact that I'd never have to pick up a sidehack appeals to me, but if the strain on my wrist is going to be the same as or worse than that which I'd experience on a two-wheeler, well, it's time to start thinking in some other direction.

Words of wisdom, hackers?

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
If you've spent time on a hack you already know they require lots of steering effort. However, your problems lie in your left wrist, not your right one. When I ride my hack it seems my right arm gets the workout because the bike is trying to drive around the hack.

As much as I hate to say it, if you want something to be easy on your wrist without the risk of falling down you might want to consider a trike conversion to a large touring bike. I can't stand trikes and every one I've ridden seems to handle like a truck, but they are a lot easier to steer than a hack.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
Cheap Ryder
Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer: 550
Sidecars

I started riding sidecars seriously because of the steel in my leg. I still ride them with the plate and screws in my left arm. If you have a rig set up with very reduced trail in the front end you might be surprized how easy they handle. I also have seen several people ride with a prosthesis for one arm or one guy I switched the throttle to the left side because his right arm didn't work. He rode a Honda 450 automatic so he didn't have a clutch. There is always a way just how creative do you want to be?
Here is a photo of a sidecar I am selling for a guy who is losing his eyesight, eyesight would be a little hard to work around riding a bike.
Attached Images

Cheap Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,248
I had a MuZ hack and although it was small and light it required a lot more effort and muscle to ride than a normal moto.

Get a Big Ruckus or a Burgman. Seriously.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro

Get a Big Ruckus or a Burgman. Seriously.
A really good suggestion. Seriously!

I can't believe you thought of it

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
Zekester
Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer: 254
How about that new Piaggio MP3 scooter with two front wheels?

http://www.mp3.piaggio.com/index_eng.html

Zekester screwed with this post 05-23-2006 at 02:17 PM
Zekester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Herr Director
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Laugh steering effort

JB, my 1980 EML airhead rig only requires a lot of arm strength when making large direction changes at very low speeds. At speeds over a few mph the bars only need a slight push pressure to initiate a turn or a lane change. It takes a bit more force on the bars to hold their position through some high speed turns than what a single track bike requires, but you hold em with a pull not a push so it shouldn't be too hard on your wrist. Take a well set up rig for a spin and it will all come back to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSmith View Post
Questions for all the Ural loons and other three-wheelers out in ADVland...

I busted up my left wrist pretty badly in a car crash and it'll be some time (doc says could be a year from now) before it's strong enough for me to ride again. Even then it might not be strong enough to ride anything with a forward-leaning riding position (weight on the wrist) or anything very heavy (in case I drop it and have to pick it up). I want to keep riding, though, so I've started thinking about sidehacks.

I put a few hundred miles on an EML BMW rig years ago, and about 1000 on a factory H-D outfit. But my recollections of them are foggy, esp. WRT how much effort it takes to steer them. I know a single-track vehicle is virtually effortless by comparison, but that a properly designed leading-link front end on a hack reduces steering effort substantially.

The fact that I'd never have to pick up a sidehack appeals to me, but if the strain on my wrist is going to be the same as or worse than that which I'd experience on a two-wheeler, well, it's time to start thinking in some other direction.

Words of wisdom, hackers?
Herr Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Why not a regular 2 wheeler? Just get one w/ upright position.

My hack takes a lot more effort then my regular bike.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Director View Post
JB, my 1980 EML airhead rig only requires a lot of arm strength when making large direction changes at very low speeds. At speeds over a few mph the bars only need a slight push pressure to initiate a turn or a lane change. It takes a bit more force on the bars to hold their position through some high speed turns than what a single track bike requires, but you hold em with a pull not a push so it shouldn't be too hard on your wrist. Take a well set up rig for a spin and it will all come back to you!
Well said. Sidecars do not have to be hard to steer, do not have to pull to the right and can be easy to ride. Reducing trail goes along way stoward this. Smaller tires with minuimal wheel lead can make even slow speed steering quite easy.
I had a nasty compound fracture of my right wrist back on 2000 or so. It took a while and I rode with a wrist support ( even solo bikes) for a long time but it rarely bothers me today. Hope your experience is as good JBSmith.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Agreed, Sidecars need not steer hard however with very light steering they can be a bit twitchy on the road. If you build a rig build it with less trail then usual, if you buy a rig, it might be possible to reduce trail further depending on just what you buy.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-68-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Erm.....ahh...the OP and the next five posts were SEVEN YEARS AGO guys....

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Bump

.... just because. Even though I agree with Tarka.

Oh, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYgbaM0uCu4 Just for listening pleasure while you browse the web.

DavePave screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 04:34 PM
DavePave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,200
My Bonnie rig with DMC's triple trees steers effortlessly.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
In 07 I had my left knee replace.Just so I could ride I bought 92 RT/EML sport.The leading link front made it like power steering.I could ride it with using just my right hand..The modified front end made piloting the rig easy. Good luck with your surgury,and good luck looking for your rehab rig it does help..don't see many motorcycles in front of a shrinks office..
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote