Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillChao
Any info on the H.I.D. kit and the sliders? Link please?

Here is mine. Picked it up about two weeks ago. My second 2001 Duke. I was dumb enough to sell my 1st (Titanium) and was lucky enough to pick up another.

I purchaced the H.I.D. kit from a Austrian member of this site, I did a search but couldent find the thread. His name is Michael Fredel. I think he has his own web site. The axil sliders I bought of the clearance table at my local Cycle Gear store, then I just attached them with some all thread, washers, and nuts.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:27 AM   #17
mynameis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Heres my beloved,(after my family of course!) bought it April this year. Its a 2004 model on an 2005 plate,the private plate came with the bike so i decided to keep it,its something different.The only mods i have done are to remove the emissions stuff,remove the petal from the `y` pipe,drill the throttle slide,modded airbox cover and a rejet.........so far.
Why do some of the Duke II have spoke wheels?Is this a personal mod or something to do with the year of manufacture.

Andy UK
mynameis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:22 AM   #18
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCifu
Finally, something worthy of spending my 1000th post on (I sure wasn't going to burn it in JM )

1996 Third Edition #443: pure, concentrated adrenaline

Larger pics and write-up on my website
Except for the yellow gas tank vent line that looks like mine, # 438. CW claimed only 100 to be imported to the States in '96.
I hate this bike. Bought new. Big mistake. Wish I'd never seen it in CW. Still have the magazine. I think that is what sold me. Only good thing was that it got me back on street bikes after a very long absence. Still, it was just a bad choice of a re-starter for me. Handles great!
Sits in my living room with 5810 miles on it, & $9300 into it. $8500 new + Delorto carb, ( before Quicksilver got me killed!), $400, + $400 for new flywheel & stator. My labor.
I have 3 other street bikes & need to sell this one, but I am going to lose my ass.

This didn't help. What a surprise! : (

Sorry to add a sour note guys. The 950 Adventure seems like a kick ass ride, but this bike has made me very leery of KTM.
Oh, I didn't really try this aux saddle last year, but it might be more comfortable.
Bike is pretty cherry.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:43 AM   #19
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeem029
I just found a NEW 2002 Duke II at the dealer in Soldotna Alaska. I haven't done anything to it yet and it looks just like the one in the above pictures. I bought it for my wife and she really loves it. She has 134 miles on it and rides it to work every day.
That is the 3rd Duke that I have heard of in the State.
Think it was a Duke II I saw in the shop at TMS here in Anchorage, 2-3 years ago. Someone bought it outside & brought up.
New 02?! In 06, WTF?! Maybe we should talk. Want another?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #20
Crow OP
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Spoked Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
...Why do some of the Duke II have spoke wheels?Is this a personal mod or something to do with the year of manufacture. Andy UK
The Duke I had spoked wheels. The Duke II, cast, with one exception. Some 2001 Duke II Chili Red came with spoked wheels. The spoked wheels are a bit heavier than the cast, but stronger. Being stronger, they're preferred by those that go offroad more seriously, do jumps, etc. Less likely to bend, dent, and the like! Sizing of the spoked wheels on the Duke I and Duke II is the same, they're swappable. The rear spoked wheel fits other LC4 motos, but not the front. The front is a 17mm axle size, while other LC4 motos run 20mm or 26mm. It is possible to purchase a 20mm or 26mm front wheel, then have a machine shop create a sleeve to size it down to 17mm, but it takes connections, some money, and a good machinist.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #21
klxstiffler
righhhtttt

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebud
Here is mine!

man i love these bikes. that is sick!
Old 05-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #22
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
This didn't help. What a surprise! : (

Sorry to add a sour note guys. The 950 Adventure seems like a kick ass ride, but this bike has made me very leery of KTM.
Wow, that sucks but...well, that's a known problem on 96 KTM's and it's not really their fault. They bought a bad batch of rotors. You fixed it so you're done with that one.

I fried the starter clutch (my bad). I swapped an ATK-spec Dellorto onto the bike. It was very hard starting (wrong pilot jet). That hard starting beat the heck out of the one-way clutch.

I don't know what kind of roads you have around Anchorage. You have to live in a specific environment to get the most out of a Duke. I have a half-dozen uninhabited twisty road loops within one-tank of my house. That means out of 9 street legal bikes, the Duke spends more time on the road than any other. It's my favorite street bike for anything under 200 miles.

List yours in the flea market and see what you get. You REALLY don't want to know what I paid for mine (but it WAS from a friend).
Old 05-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #23
exiledinaus
Get off my land!!!

Oddometer: 185
Here's a few of mine....

Duke 1 LastEdition. I bought it new in the UK in 2000 - it was a 98/99 model so i got a decent deal on it. Its no longer pristine and is well overdue for a good clean and some tlc, but I love her and she will never be for sale now...

sorry about the variation insize of the photos, photobucket seems to randomly resize them...

exiledinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:11 PM   #24
exiledinaus
Get off my land!!!

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Finally, something worthy of spending my 1000th post on (I sure wasn't going to burn it in JM )

1996 Third Edition #443: pure, concentrated adrenaline

Larger pics and write-up on my website
that puts the condition of my duke 1 to shame. I am a bad bad daddy. i am going to go out and polish her now... sorry...

Nice write up btw - http://www.cifumotorsports.com/mc/1996duke/index.html
exiledinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #25
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
Wow, that sucks but...well, that's a known problem on 96 KTM's and it's not really their fault. They bought a bad batch of rotors. You fixed it so you're done with that one.
I guess it is a known problem on '96's now, but not then. I only fixed it last year, at the time did not know it was a 'known problem'.
Only indication was the terrible 'box of rocks' sounds when you tried to use the electric starter. Damn thing still ran fine. At least after I put on the Dellorto. Then it went downhill from there, so I never really got to fine tune the new carb. It is a lot better than the un-tuneable Quicksilver. No stall/die at the wrong time. Would not start with the elec starter, sounded like a lot of busted gears somewhere. Oh, noo! By then I had another bike I just loved and rode & rode. So it sat. Nobody had a clue where to start to look. I am sure it went when still under the 5 minute warranty they had on the bike. 3 months really. : )
I still think it is KTM's problem, but to late to worry about that. New flywheel, magnets are enclosed.

Quote:
I don't know what kind of roads you have around Anchorage. You have to live in a specific environment to get the most out of a Duke.
'Zactly right! Totally agree. Unfortunately we do not have the roads for it, at least not close enough to me. Should have gone with my first instinct. Get a used dual sport, go from there. Only one I got to ride was not fast enough for me on the road. Wanted to get back on to it asap & short summer was slipping away.
Quote:
List yours in the flea market and see what you get.
I think I need to sell it here. Think shipping $$$ would kill it for anyone outside of the limited Alaska road system.
BTW, thanks for your tip on your site about where I might try to sell that Edelbrock QS carb. I'll have to look into it.

Hey, 'mynameis' in the UK, I think you got your answer. Better to post those questions on the board maybe, more knowledge spread around. Did not know what to tell you. Don't thnk you have to worry about yours.
Keep 'em shiny side up guys!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:52 AM   #26
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Another thing!

Would have been nice if the manual had told that the nut that holds that flywheel on is a left hand thread! What a pain! I built the 'special tool' to hold the flywheel after I could not bust the nut loose with a big wrench & a hammer to wack it. By then I had overtightened it enough that I could get a fingernail on the few exposed threads to tell it was a left hand thread. I had thought about that, then forgot. Duh!
Just a warning if you did not know.
Did I mention that I did this in my living room? Well, it was a lot warmer than the garage, and the bike was already there----
Old 05-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #27
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Only indication was the terrible 'box of rocks' sounds when you tried to use the electric starter. Damn thing still ran fine.
SONUFABITCH! My 97 Adventure is making that EXACT sound right now! I thought the rod and main bearings were gone! I've been putting off a rebuild. I need to pull that stator cover and have a quick look-see. 'Box of rocks' is exactly how I've described the noise to people.

Thanks for posting the picture of the new part. I didn't realize you could tell them apart. The new part is smooth inside, the old one has exposed, individual magnets. I'm going to take a look this afternoon. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
mynameis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
The Duke I had spoked wheels. The Duke II, cast, with one exception. Some 2001 Duke II Chili Red came with spoked wheels. The spoked wheels are a bit heavier than the cast, but stronger. Being stronger, they're preferred by those that go offroad more seriously, do jumps, etc. Less likely to bend, dent, and the like! Sizing of the spoked wheels on the Duke I and Duke II is the same, they're swappable. The rear spoked wheel fits other LC4 motos, but not the front. The front is a 17mm axle size, while other LC4 motos run 20mm or 26mm. It is possible to purchase a 20mm or 26mm front wheel, then have a machine shop create a sleeve to size it down to 17mm, but it takes connections, some money, and a good machinist.
Cheers for that,just wondered which was which.

Andy UK

mynameis screwed with this post 05-28-2006 at 11:37 AM Reason: Poor spelling!
mynameis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #29
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
SONUFABITCH! My 97 Adventure is making that EXACT sound right now! I thought the rod and main bearings were gone! I've been putting off a rebuild. I need to pull that stator cover and have a quick look-see. 'Box of rocks' is exactly how I've described the noise to people.

Thanks for posting the picture of the new part. I didn't realize you could tell them apart. The new part is smooth inside, the old one has exposed, individual magnets. I'm going to take a look this afternoon. Thanks!
Only when using the starter. We will expect a report!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #30
getagripgreg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Talking

Here's my '01.

Bought in Dec. '03 with 1550 miles and no front end. Was hit head on by a Ducati in '01 and stored while the owner recuperated.

The crash destroyed everything ahead of the steering stem. Everything was available in the US except for the fork parts, so I kept trolling ebay. In the meantime, I had a spare chassis for my 77 XS500, and out of boredom, tried to fit the forks. They fit, so what the hell, I tried riding it! Desipte the steep rake, spindly 35mm legs, and 19" wheel with a K591, it rode acceptably. So I rode the piss out of it for 500 miles or so before it finally got too scary (had to raise the idle to 1900 to keep it from bogging on the brakes). Then I found a set of Duke 1 forks, which I thought were the same. Turns out they are 40mm instead of 43, and the caliper mount's different. Bought a caliper adapter from yoyodyne and fit it with minor fettling, sourced a longer brake line from a KLR, and have been riding for over a year now. My bike had the rare spoked wheels, and I couldn't find a front replacement, but found a local Duke owner selling a pair of mags and he part-traded me for my unbent rear spoker.

The Metzler Z6 tires I have on it are fine for commuting, but the front absolutely sucks ass in anyting other than dry conditions.

Long story short, I love my KTM. Wish I could have afforded to buy an unmolested one, but who cares. It's great fun as long as I can keep my license.
Attached Images

getagripgreg screwed with this post 06-01-2006 at 10:35 PM
getagripgreg is offline   Reply With Quote