Oddometer: 409
Here's another...
Attached Images

getagripgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 PM   #32
getagripgreg
Gnarly Adventurer

For giggles, here's the two bikes showing the yamaha front end I used for a time...
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM   #33
getagripgreg
Gnarly Adventurer

And here it is in Frankenduke form... Please, divert your children's eyes.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #34
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCifu
SONUFABITCH! My 97 Adventure is making that EXACT sound right now! I thought the rod and main bearings were gone! I've been putting off a rebuild. I need to pull that stator cover and have a quick look-see. 'Box of rocks' is exactly how I've described the noise to people.

Thanks for posting the picture of the new part. I didn't realize you could tell them apart. The new part is smooth inside, the old one has exposed, individual magnets. I'm going to take a look this afternoon. Thanks!
Well? Did you look? What is the story?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #35
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,740
[hijack]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Well? Did you look? What is the story?
No, I haven't looked at the Adventure but you may have saved my Duke. I have that same glued rotor as you showed in the photos. I pulled it apart today for the starter clutch (failed girdle spring in the one-way clutch). In fact, I just ordered the parts from KTM Cycle Hutt. I wouldn't have replaced the rotor if you hadn't shared those photos. I didn't know they were so visually different. Mine was absolutely the old one and just waiting to fail ($275 for the rotor BTW).

As for the Adventure, I haven't torn into it because I'm not optimistic. It's got a box-of-rocks sound but it began with a light rod knocking. I'll find out soon enough but I can only have 2-3 bikes in pieces at any one time.
[end hijack]
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 AM   #36
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
[hijack]

No, I haven't looked at the Adventure but you may have saved my Duke. I have that same glued rotor as you showed in the photos. I pulled it apart today for the starter clutch (failed girdle spring in the one-way clutch). In fact, I just ordered the parts from KTM Cycle Hutt. I wouldn't have replaced the rotor if you hadn't shared those photos. I didn't know they were so visually different. Mine was absolutely the old one and just waiting to fail ($275 for the rotor BTW).

As for the Adventure, I haven't torn into it because I'm not optimistic. It's got a box-of-rocks sound but it began with a light rod knocking. I'll find out soon enough but I can only have 2-3 bikes in pieces at any one time.
[end hijack]
Damn, & you were the one that said 'known problem' with the '96's. So thought you had it covered. Wish I'd known about the problem before instead of being an alfa tester. : ( I was just to early. Never again.
$275? Well, you didn't have to buy the stator too.
Can't find my reciepts just now. Was right @ $400 for both.
Can't say anything about the rod knock. Maybe 2 different problems? Yuk.
I understand about having too many pieces scattered about. Gotta have at least 1 to ride. 2-3 is better.
Good luck, keep us informed.
Emm, did I say KTM's suck?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 AM   #37
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Just remembered that I thought about replacing that starter clutch spring too. Seemed loose. Could not buy only the spring, had to buy the whole clutch. $$$

That's just wrong.
Never would have guessed that my used '96 Buell S1 that had been in a bad fire would be more reliable than the KTM.

Tom S screwed with this post 06-02-2006 at 04:11 AM
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #38
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak
My 2000 Duke II. I just picked it up about three weeks ago. I traded my KLX400 for it.
I see your in Topeka. I am there once a week on the KLR. That is a very nice looking Duke. Wish I had a SM since I ride 90% pavement it seems
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #39
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
[hijack]

[end hijack]
Hey Greg,
about the rod-knock. I was at Dirtrider's place last weekend and he had a rod that was bad. On a section of the rod, it had some pitting. It was at the section where the rod actually was connected to the bearing journal. And it was only in that section. Really wierd if you ask me.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #40
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
I don't know if this helps but my '97 620 RXC/e had the retaing clip (cir-clip)break and get wedged in the pulse generator. The starter made an occasional "rocks in the tub sound" but the bike didn't run.

Here is a picture of what I pulled out:

Here it is. It's part #4:

The freewheel hub is sold as a whole unit. You can't just buy the clip .
Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #41
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Damn, & you were the one that said 'known problem' with the '96's. So thought you had it covered.
Yeah, I knew it was a 'known problem' but nobody knew how many bikes got the bum rotor and I didn't know the difference visually. Mine hadn't done anything in 7000 miles so I figured I was lucky or my bike wasn't affected. Thanks to your pictures I now know I was just lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
On a section of the rod, it had some pitting.
Thanks Nate. I'm getting to the two Adventures (been working on ATK subframes). While you're off cruising around Colorado in the snow, I've been working on stacked up projects. I thought you were married with kids. How do you get away?

And FWIW: I have a spare starter clutch circlip now It looks identical to the one on the ATK / Rotax but now that I have it out, the KTM is larger in diameter. I could have messed with finding a girdle spring but it wasn't worth it to me right now--I just want it running. It looks like that's the failure mode for that 'type' of starter clutch.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:56 AM   #42
jonpcovington
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Thanks for the photos, Greg Cifu. I just finished putting a hugger on my 2001 Duke II and that was a lot of help figuring it out. I'd send pictures but I don't know how yet. Crow, does that Stealth sprocket come in green to match my Duke? (Dream on!)
jonpcovington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 AM   #43
Crow OP
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonpcovington
...Crow, does that Stealth sprocket come in green to match my Duke? (Dream on!)
Uh...no! Ha. KTM orange! The real color.

Actually, I love the Lime Green. That was my favorite Duke II color prior to the Adrenaline Orange coming out. Still would love to have one of those Limes. At least I can ogle it in the 2001 brochure I have!
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #44
jonpcovington
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, I think the green is bitchin' too. Is the orange on the seat as hard to get clean as the green? Mine is the only Duke I've ever seen in the flesh (steel?) but I've heard that the orange some metalflake in it and really looks great. As far as I can tellI think I have the only Duke in northern NV. I've been in touch with Renazco and they said they could make the seat a LOT more comfortable, so I'll get 'er done this winter.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:22 AM   #45
jonpcovington
Studly Adventurer

Question

By the way, do you know about the KTMDuke site on Yahoo? It's pretty good.