Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #91
coughinhk
CoughinHK

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I'm still unsure, but you are right the sight glass should show a higher level when hot than when cold (thermal expansion of oil increases its volume). I am pretty sure the bike must be very level when reading the glass, and always wait a few minutes (5 at least) before reading to allow the oil to drain down and settle in the crankcase, or be diligent and wait for the reading to stabilize.
Could it be the oil ? I'm using a mix of 15W50 and 10W60, both Shell Helix. Yes, I know, I shouldn't follow a mate's advice.... She isn't burning oil, just this weird hot oil level. I don't really care, so long as she keeps a grin on my face, but all the [IMG]images/icons/eek.gif[/IMG] REBUILD HORROR [IMG]images/icons/eek.gif[/IMG]stories here stop me enjoying my beer.
coughinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #92
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
REBUILD HORROR stories are just because the LC4 model line is getting old. Pretty soon we'll all be gummin' our lips and poppin' geritol like qualudes...

Mixing oils shouldn't change the laws of physics; they'll still expand under heat.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #93
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,597
Hi Braaap.

Immune?
In my dreams. My ride/life can turn to shit as quickly as anyone's.

Blessed?
Most definitely, after 11 days on the road with perfect weather every single day. Somebody upstairs smiled on me for sure.

Lucky?
Somewhat, although I think you make your own luck to a degree.

Happy?
As a pig in shit mate. As long as my KTM doesn't do an impersonation of a hand grenade.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #94
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon5
1. 620RXCe
2. 1998
3. new
4. 15k miles
5. shorter suspension (29"inseam),Edelbrock off-road only mods+pumper kit , skid plate, opened air box, rear disc gard, 95 model tool box@charcoal can mount, geared down=1 in front+add 6 in rear (way down)
6. normal maint., water pump+brgs, wheel brgs/both ends many times,fork seals, all cables+speedo 10+ times?, petcock, rear axle replaced when permanent side came off, new DOT5 every year!, radiator fan, left bar switch, chain gard
7. water pump seal, blue fork seals, fork seal skins, monster hvy duty tubes , brush gards, spare set of wheels
8. Kenda DS+Bridgestone Knobs
9. 80% dirt
10. yes but, newer
11. not yet
You mentioned blue fork seals... Do you have 40mm inverted WP forks? If so, where did you get the seals and how are they working? KTM doesn't even supply 40mm seals at this point and the K&S set I got last year lasted 1/2 a season. Also, what seal skins are you running?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #95
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,772
1. Bike: 620 RXC
2. Year: 1997
3. Bought used or new: new
4. Current mileage: TK
5. Modifications done: Tag 1 1/8" handlebars, Acerbis rally guards w/ spoilers, RAM mounts, mainshaft roller bearing upgrade, snorkle removed, T-vents on carb, springs replaced for my weight
6. Mechanical work done: Normal maintenance, some mods to make the TM40 fit
7. Upgrades done: KTM aluminum skidplate, Scotts sharkfin, Mikuni TM40 pumper carb, SXC muffler, solid magnet stator, heated grips, power for heated vest & GPS, set of 17" motard wheels, gel seat, Touratech tailbag, Moose spare tube fenderbag
8. Current tires on the bike: MT 21
9. Percentage of road versus dirt use: 50/50
10. Would you buy another one?: yes
11. Did you replace the main shaft bearing (if applicable): Yes
12. Pic of the bike if available:

Beez screwed with this post 04-03-2009 at 02:22 PM
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #96
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!
Yes, you are truly blessed, and immune Godsilla... the 2003 model is unquestionably, the most reliable and un-problematic of them all...

tick, tick.... KaBoom.

All hail the everlasting 03 LC4 640 for it is truly an immortal & everlasting motorcycle

75 500 km on mine now. Might give the carb a birthday as she's started using a touch more fuel than normal, & maybe a new thermostat as she got a little hotter than normal a couple of times recently too. Otherwise all good.

That head & piston look nasty Braaap, mine looked mint when we gave the head a service @ 50k km, maybe it's the higher temps in Oz?

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #97
samolapraga
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I read this topic before going on my trip, i never thought i would get to post in it too. I have a problem, BIG one that is, so i'm asking for your advice.
My bike is6 year old, 2003 that is and 40000kms on the clock. Being in Altai mountains, near Ak-Tash and going to Mongolia, i dropped it in a big pond, with some mud in it. Not getting to stop the engine quick enough, it got a few gulps of dirty water in the carburettor and then in the engine. Changing the air filter and the sparkplug seemed to make it work fine at that time, so i went on with it. But after 500km or so, it started consuming lots of oil. So much that it freaked us and decided to head back to Barnaul, where we opened the engine and found the piston rings were worn out. Changed them, and the bike still has little power, low compression as one can feel in the kick pedal and also most alarming of all consumes lots of oil, about 1 liter/300km.
At this point i don't know what to do next, if it is valve rings wear, then mybe we can try getting and fixing them in Amaty, as we are now 900km from it, but if it is cylinder wear we have no choice but to drive it home as it is and complete the oil every 100kms. When we opened it, we could not see any visible signs of wear, and yet, the oil is going away like crazy.
Do you have any idea where could it be from?
samolapraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:22 AM   #98
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
I think Jerome's on around 140K km but he's on his second engine.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #99
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by samolapraga
I read this topic before going on my trip, i never thought i would get to post in it too. I have a problem, BIG one that is, so i'm asking for your advice.
My bike is6 year old, 2003 that is and 40000kms on the clock. Being in Altai mountains, near Ak-Tash and going to Mongolia, i dropped it in a big pond, with some mud in it. Not getting to stop the engine quick enough, it got a few gulps of dirty water in the carburettor and then in the engine. Changing the air filter and the sparkplug seemed to make it work fine at that time, so i went on with it. But after 500km or so, it started consuming lots of oil. So much that it freaked us and decided to head back to Barnaul, where we opened the engine and found the piston rings were worn out. Changed them, and the bike still has little power, low compression as one can feel in the kick pedal and also most alarming of all consumes lots of oil, about 1 liter/300km.
At this point i don't know what to do next, if it is valve rings wear, then mybe we can try getting and fixing them in Amaty, as we are now 900km from it, but if it is cylinder wear we have no choice but to drive it home as it is and complete the oil every 100kms. When we opened it, we could not see any visible signs of wear, and yet, the oil is going away like crazy.
Do you have any idea where could it be from?
Is your bore in good shape ? Do the crosshatch hone marks show good in the cylinder? Do any scratches or scoring show on the cylinder wall or piston? Maybe the bore will need a light hone to get the rings to seat....

I'm nearing 102,000 KM on my 03 640 A and for my engine I have found the valves are quite worn around the 40,000 KM and should be refreshed at that time.. I've had the valves done at 40,000, 80,000 and plan to refresh again at 120,000....

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 06:18 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #100
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,037
Here is an interesting write up on worn valves:

Worn Valve Stems and Guides
When wear has taken place on valve stems and valve guides, the vacuum in the intake manifold will draw oil and oil vapor between the intake valve stems and guides, into the intake manifold and then into the cylinder where it will be burned. If this condition is not corrected when new piston rings are installed, an engine is likely to use more oil than it did before because the new piston rings will increase the vacuum in the intake manifold. When gum or deposits on the valve stems are removed - a procedure recommended when overhauling an engine - the seal previously formed will be removed and leakage will be more pronounced. This is particularly true on overhead valve engines where loss of oil may occur on the exhaust valves as well as on the intake valves. High oil consumption caused by too much valve guide clearance can frequently be cured by reaming or nerraling the valve stem. In some cases new valves may also be required. Use of a permanently bonded valve stem seal will give added insurance against oil leakage on complete engine overhauls or on valve jobs....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #101
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
1. Bike: 640/E : 625 SMC
2. Year: 00 : 05
3. Bought used or new: U : U
4. Current mileage: 235 : 3k
5. Modifications done: None : Corbin seat, CF bits
6. Mechanical work done: Cleaned it : Oil changes
7. Upgrades done: None : 950 SMC Mirrors
8. Current tires on the bike: OEM : OEM (Pirellis)
9. Percentage of road versus dirt use: TBD : 75/25
10. Would you buy another one?: No ( I can't wear these two out)
11. Did you replace the main shaft bearing (if applicable): Neither require engine work at this time
12. Pic of the bike if available:
Attached Images

Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #102
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
The SMC:
Attached Images

Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #103
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
11/2005 Sm

Bought used in Feb with 530km from new (old guy with a shed-full of bikes).

Now has 6800km on it. Some oil seals were hard and weeped a bit (t/stat hsng, sight glass), then just started leaking from base gasket (apparently common to my eng no., but wasn't fixed under recall - poop).

Mods: headlight and spotlight that WORK, drilled twin muffler endcaps, drilled BST40 slide and 170main, no SAS or emissions, 150/70R17 Pirelli rear, 120/90R17 Mitas E-08 front, 17/38 sprkts, gel seat, gear rack.

Howzit go?: 1/4 mile 13.52secs @ 96mph
21km/L economy (averaged over 2500km trip, steady 125kph)
top speed over 170kph (speedo showed 179kph) loaded
Goes around corners telepathically (but betr with 120/70 fr)

You can replicate these figures with just about any 600-ish thumper, just some need susp work, some need motor tweaks, some need lights, but they all end up doing the job. Iwent to the dealer for a DR650, but for the same price got this (Brembo's, WP, 17's).

If a bike doesn't move you, don't buy it. If you need a rational list to make up your mind, just buy the damn Beemer and be done with it man
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #104
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
I'm nearing 102,000 KM on my 03 640 A and for my engine I have found the valves are quite worn around the 40,000 KM and should be refreshed at that time.. I've had the valves done at 40,000, 80,000 and plan to refresh again at 120,000....
Gunner, what did you do to your valves at the above intervals? Are you talking setting the clearance or a valve job with seals and re-grind?

Mine is making some hellatious noise up there. Got to pull it apart this weekend and see what's up. I've been through an intake roller once about 10k ago. She has 32,000 miles to date. I'm thinking it's time to freshen her up a bit. Maybe top end or the whole shooting match. Anyone know of any threads or links to such rebuild? Any idea of cost???
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #105
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,314
1. Bike: 640 adv r
2. Year: 00
3. Bought used or new: U with 9k miles
4. Current mileage: 21000 miles
5. Modifications done: Suspension, FCR, renazco
6. Mechanical work done: Oil changes, instruments. Threads for fuel pump mount stripped - helicoil, oil drain - helicoil. Busted gas tank had to be replaced
7. Upgrades done: exhaust, lights
8. Current tires on the bike: 2 sets of wheels
9. Percentage of road versus dirt use: 50/50
10. Would you buy another one?: Well, may be not because 950/690 getting affordable now.
11. Did you replace the main shaft bearing (if applicable): Yes
12. Pic of the bike if available

So far valves needed adjustment only ones after I got the bike. I check them every 2-3k and I didn't find any changes.

666 screwed with this post 09-03-2009 at 01:15 PM
666 is offline   Reply With Quote