Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #1
gpothoven OP
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Americas - All the way up, all the way down...

So, here it goes, first ride report. Hopefully it will be a long and continuing one, as the planned route is Miami-Alaska-Tierra del Fuego, with the only schedule being Alaska in August, and Tierra del Fuego in December. No set route either, I'll be seeing which way I take from one day to the next.

Left Miami on May 17th, in 90 degree heat and pouring rain. Took the “scenic” Florida Turnpike out of Miami, to get out of the rain as quickly as possible. It finally let up around Melbourne. Kept going as I wanted to get to Daytona Beach. Nothing to report there, I’m sure you’ve all seen plenty of it and I was generally unimpressed anyway. Rode on to Flagler Beach, where I found a motel and dinner for the night. Used the time to pack and re-pack, and try to get things to fit a little better on the bike.

On the 18th I was planning to ride to Savannah, GA. Always wanted to see it as I had heard good things. Halfway there while stopped for lunch I got on the laptop to check emails and see what was up on ADVRider. Much to my surprise, the 2006 Eastern Rendezvous was scheduled for the weekend. Really didn’t want to miss the chance to meet some of the people there, and ditched the plans for Savannah, and headed fast for Hot Springs, NC. Made it to Clinton, SC for the night. More re-packing to make things fit.

Next morning it was off to Hot Springs. Made it there by noon or so. R1100Rick was there setting up, and was kind enough to let me set up camp within his reserved area in the campsite. The inmates started arriving shortly. I was talking to someone about how the locks on my cases were keyed differently than my ignition, when JohnTM said he could re-key them for me, but I’d have to fetch him beer all weekend. Seeing as he didn’t look like the type to ever wonder too far from the keg, this seemed like a good deal. I promptly agreed to be called “PissBoy” all weekend, and he got to work. Not 15 min. later he was done, and I was pumping the keg. Thanks JohnTM!

Rained cats, dogs and more cats Friday night. Soon found out the Eureka 3xtsomething tent doesn’t like too much water. A few minor leaks, but a few more leaks than I expected on a new tent. It was a LOT of rain though. Next day was uneventful, at least for me. Many went on rides that turned out longer, rougher and more accidental than expected. I just hung out around camp and town. The evening was lively, and it seemed the campfire grew as the kegs shrunk. Funny correlation there.

Packed a lot of wet gear on Sunday morning, and took my time getting out of Hot Springs, with no set destination, kind of thinking of heading south to Savannah, which I had skipped a few days ago. As I left Hot Springs, I was passed by DazdConfsd and BlueLghtning, on Aprilia Caponord and V-Strom 650 respectively. I tagged on behind them, as they seemed to know where they were going and I didn’t. A few miles later I found they were headed to Atlanta, so I followed along. As I was tailing and not navigating, I’m not sure which back roads we took, but they were awesome. Scenic twisties all the way. A good part on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Loved it. DazdConfsd was kind enough to invite me to stay at his house in Atlanta, and I was more than happy to oblige. Next day I headed again for Savannah, but made a short stop at Blue Moon Cycles in Atlanta to pick up a few things for the bike. Mostly a BrakeLED light, a socket to hook direct to the battery and an oil cooler protector. Well, DazdConfsd has a well stocked garage, and I invited myself to return to his house and use a few tools. As expected, the work took longer than estimated, and I stayed another night. DazdConfsd and his girlfriend both ride a lot, and seemed understanding of the situation. Thanks guys!!

That night I found out that my parents will be in Michigan (from Argentina) in a couple of weeks, and decided to start heading north the next morning to meet them. Savannah was not to be, for now.

Tuesday morning I made a stop by BMW Atlanta, picked up some boots and a jacket, which I was lacking, and moved on. Not sure which way to take, I followed one of the suggested rides in Gary McKechnie’s “Great American Motorcycle Tours” book. He calls it the Georgia Hills Run, and it did not disappoint. It starts in Dahlonega, GA, going north on 19 to Suches, then to 180 and 17 to Helen, on to Clarkesville, up 441 to Clayton, Dillard and 106 to Highlands, NC. I went a little further on 64 to Franklin, where I called it a night at a quiet campground.

This morning I headed to Asheville, where I took the Blue Ridge Parkway North. Great ride. Made it as far as the 16, where I headed south down to Charlotte, NC. Will report again soon. Still figuring out how to put up pictures and else, and lacking fast internet connections, so be patient, I'll get better at this report stuff.

gpothoven screwed with this post 05-26-2006 at 08:09 AM
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,513

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
DRglidarn
Panzer pilot

Oddometer: 455
Have a nice ride...

and thanks for reporting!
DRglidarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
jp4evr
I'm a dad, have a ceegar

Oddometer: 345
Love it...

great start.... Cant' wait to see more roads like this one in your story...

If you come down through CA on your way from AK to TDF... stop by Sacramento. there are plenty of inmates here and I know my wife and I would like to reminisc about Argentina... travel safe.

jp4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:43 AM   #5
B12Teuton
Thumpwhore

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4evr
great start.... Cant' wait to see more roads like this one in your story...
There is only one Wolfpen Gap Rd.!!!

Keep 'em coming

B12Teuton screwed with this post 05-26-2006 at 10:48 AM
B12Teuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
gpothoven OP
whatever

A few pics of the Blue RIdge Parkway in NC...

Does a 1200GSA fit in a motel room? Yes, not easily, but yes.

I tried to trade rides with Herman Munster coming into VA, but he would have none of it!

Rode up the Skyline in western VA.

Then it was east to Washington DC

And back west to WV.

Awesome roads in WV, both paved and gravel. Completely miscalculated the time it would take me to get through the mountain and gravel roads. Finally got to a motel at 1am, lost, soaking wet, but had a blast.

Left bike running and in neutral while taking the cheesy "Welcome to X" pic. Bad idea on a 9% grade as I found out!!

But it was all good, got help, and got someone to take a pic.

Rode through Ohio with little to report. In Indianapolis I thought I'd check out the Speedway. There was a "small" gathering of 99.99% Harleys for a local charity event.

ROde with a few for a while.

And then on to Chicago...
Old 06-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Outstanding! I really like your format.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
gpothoven OP
whatever

In Toronto now, leaving for Newfoundland/Labrador in two days. Anyone know if TKCs required for there, or can I stick with the Tourances? Where can I get some around here? Thanks.

gpothoven screwed with this post 06-15-2006 at 09:22 PM Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:45 AM   #10
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Nice pics and story.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpothoven
In Toronto now, leaving for Newfoundland/Labrador in two days. Anyone know if TKCs required for there, or can I stick with the Tourances? Where can I get some around here? Thanks.

May want to post this same question in the Canada forum.

I've been to Nova Scotia, and street tires are fine there, but can't speak to NF. Sorry. (Though my guess is the Tuarances will get you most places)

Cheers,

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,731
Very nice pics. I love those bends. And yes that trike is sweet.

Btw, Mr. Packmule, i love those 46ers
Old 06-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
gpothoven OP
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
May want to post this same question in the Canada forum.
I did, actually before posting here. No responses yet. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #14
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,740
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpothoven
Tourances will be fine for 90% of your tour until you hit Alaska. The roads are paved on the 'Rock' (Nfld) ya know.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #15
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
I don't know about back east but out here in the west the front TKC has been back ordered since Jan.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote