User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #16
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,897
Get It!!

My brother got one on my recomendation for a first bike. He is 5'10" and about 250 lbs. He rides it everywhere. Longest trip for him was 300 miles to come see me so we could go riding! Takes his wife two up around town too. Everything on it is stock and it runs just fine. I borrowed it once. I had been riding my klr 250 a lot at the time. I wasn't paying attention, just shifting through the gears. 90mph comes fast enough!

It's the only street 250 with a tach...

I owned a 500 ninja for four years. Great bike and very similar. 500 mile days no problem!

Cauldron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:33 PM   #17
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,533
Excellent posts. I read the pashnit story a while back but my CRS being what it is, and the fact that I thought Ninja was a bad, crazy word, I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.

The dealer should be open when I leave work(sucks) tomorrow so it is off on my XRL to the dealer to see what I am dreaming of. I will let you guys know...
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
thanks for the posts folks

Going to look at one today at 4:30.....

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #19
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
Going to look at one today at 4:30.....
New? How your dealer is a little better then the one I just left.

Bastards.
I go in the door, Look around and found it right away. A blue Ninja 250, just what I wanted. I sit my stuff on the floor, and jump right on that bad boy. first impression (after getting off my XRL) WOW! My feet are flat on the floor! AND My knees are bent! Is this right? Wheel it out of the bike domino line and prop it up on the center stand. Put both feet on the pegs and it is comfortable. In fact, very comfortable. I am leaning much further forward then I am on the XRL and this riding position is completly new to me. All the bikes I have owned, I sat upright on the bike, holding the handle bars. On this one, I am leaning forward, on the handle bars. After the first 30 seconds, I start to think there is no way I could ride 500 miles in day like this, much less even 200. I catch a salesmen walking by and ask if I can test ride it. [salesline] There are no fluids, you couldnt even if we wanted to ride it[/salesline] Ok, that switched my mode from ready to buy it now, pick it up this weekend, to no sale. It is not much smaller then a 500, which was right next to it. Ok, I tell him I am interested and if he can do soething better on the price, he should think of a price that will make me say "I'll take it." He says he CAN do better. Cool.

I start looking at helmets, explain I applied online for the credit and he says lets check out your credit line. 60 seconds later, he laughs and say' You can buy five. Can I have one?" Funny. We go back to the bike and he is going to ask about an XXL flip up helmet for my huge head, so I start looking at some helmets on the other side of teh store. Theres only 4, takes me 30 seconds to walk over, look at all 4, see they are not flip ups and I walk back. Sales whore has someone else in his offcie and I am standing next to my(possible) new bike, looking like a mugging victim. Ok, maybe the other guy is checking onthe helmets in the back. New sales guys come over and tells me his name, and starts trying to get me to buy a 650 Ninja, then 500 Ninja, a Vstrom, claiming tthey all get about the same mileage. yeah, ok. No thanks, I want the 250. "Are you sure? It is a VERY entry level bike, and not that good." Huh? WTF? I am sure I want that one. I have gone fast enough, long enough, many many times to know, I want to ride, and get high MPG. He says ok. I mention that the other guy said he can do something with the price. New guy says, yeah, no, there is very little mark up on these and that is the bottom line. Really? The First guy said he was sure he could do soething with the price. No, 2999 is the best.

Ok, well, I will have to think about it. CYA.

I left. Now I admit, it was getting hot inside the building, no ac and the doors were open and me carrying my jacket, walking backa dn forth, trying on the flip ups helmets, which were WAY too tight, and I was loosing my smiley disposition. Then they start trying to bump me up to the next bike, and leaving me for a guy that wanted a more expensive bike, it didn't much more for me to walk away.

So, if I could have ridden it, I would have most likely bought it on the sopt, based on what everyone says about the bike. But not being able to ride it, and the salesmen telling me it is not very good, I couldn't make her mine.

One more thing, He said "Kawasaki makes up buys these" WHo knows if that is true, but with all the other nonsense, I didn't believe it.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #20
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
We just got a red one

and I am getting a long slow knobber

Dealers didnt do anything for us either
I called several
I dont know aboot the limited mark up but they do seem to sell fast

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
beyondhelp
likes cheese too.

Oddometer: 515
The only drawback to riding a tiny bike is the look you get from others when replying to the "what bike do you ride?" question. Every time someone asks me I get the same "oh hum" look and they quickly change the subject or leave. I've started getting creative with my answers. Well it's a '95 ex-5 gets the most positive response. I guess if they don't recognize that it's a little bike then it's cool. It's kinda like my little secret.

I surprised the heck out of one of our local squids yesterday, he gave me the "I'm outta here" wave on his flamed/polished/modified whateverbike and took off. Well, between the flapping t-shirt and no mirrors I guess he didn't realize I kept up with him through the traffic for several miles to the exit. I ride a 500 'cause I know I'd ride alot worse on a faster bike. The bike keeps me from misbehaving too much.
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:59 PM   #22
jimmyjam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
and I am getting a long slow knobber

Dealers didnt do anything for us either
I called several
I dont know aboot the limited mark up but they do seem to sell fast
http://www.otdcyclesports.com/bike.aspx?bikeid=459

I checked out LA Cycle Sports - this huge volume discounter in LA, with the lowest prices (because of volume) of any bike dealer in the western US, if not the entire US.

OTD, the Ninja 250 is 3499, which tends to lend creedence to the theory that there's virtually no markup.
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

I know dealers can be shittheads. But when he said, it is no good, I think my jaw dropped open.

I am trying to get the feeling on whether or not this bike is what i am looking for. The way he made it sould, it would take off like a old 2 stroke worn out moped, and ride like an old baby buggy. Is he just trying to sell me more then I want?
Old 05-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Zekester
Liquid Hot Magma Core

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
I mention that the other guy said he can do something with the price. New guy says, yeah, no, there is very little mark up on these and that is the bottom line. Really? The First guy said he was sure he could do soething with the price. No, 2999 is the best.
That's disappointing, 100. I was sure you were going to buy today. According to their website, there is (or at least was) a factory-to-dealer incentive on all '06 and earlier Ninja 250's. Sounds like you were right to walk.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 PM   #25
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,250
David Edwards' column in the July Cycle World calls it the best petrol pincher. To quote him "We'd almost forgotten how good this ankle-biter buzz-bomb really is." He claims 75 mpg if you whale on it and better if you don't. I've been interested in them for years. Mybe I should find a cheap used one.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #26
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
David Edwards' column in the July Cycle World calls it the best petrol pincher. To quote him "We'd almost forgotten how good this ankle-biter buzz-bomb really is." He claims 75 mpg if you whale on it and better if you don't. I've been interested in them for years. Mybe I should find a cheap used one.
They are kind of cute...and grow on you.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:03 PM   #27
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
I'm thinking you should shop around.

Dealers even here in Oregon will steer you to bigger bikes continually, using EVERY tactic imaginable. They've been called "loss leaders", and are well known for being "smart money economical bikes that are used as bait to get people into the stealership", its then the salescreature's job to steer you to something so they can make more $$$PROFIT$$$.

Talking to several guys who have worked at dealerships, there is apparently little profit to be made on the Ninja 250. If a guy works on commision he probably makes more on a single Ninja 650 than he'd make on selling 2-3 Ninja 250s.

Heck, shop around, check craigslist and ebay and cycletrader. Of course a lightly used one with low miles is still more than I could buy one up here new for, but that's California, or Florida or most of the NE for you. Some psycho had one listed on craigslist for $7,000...I think enough people bitchslapped her that her grandchildren will have red cheeks...

I'm thinking some dealers are sort of in a state of shock. These bikes have been a long term "fringe" bike, and now they are selling more than they can order, while their huge expensive pieces of sculpture with wheels are gathering dust.

If you had a way to test ride various bikes, that would be an awesome way to feel what fits your and your needs best. I guess its good I love my bike since its what I have.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #28
jimmyjam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
The MSRP is $2999. for a 2cyl, 4 stroke, 6 speed trans and a 14,000 redline. I am the furthest thing from a ricky racer, but 70-80mpg gives me a chubby.
Speaking of which, if you really want a nice 70 mpg bike, look at a new bmw f650. More advrider friendly, and two spark plugs and fuel injection can't be beat.
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #29
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam
Speaking of which, if you really want a nice 70 mpg bike, look at a new bmw f650. More advrider friendly, and two spark plugs and fuel injection can't be beat.
i had looked into that but at about 2x the price, I didn't look too long. Tried to find a used one for cheap, but no luck. gotta go to work.
hey zeke
Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 739
Wife has decided to sell hers. PM me if interested.
2003 Ninja 250 with 6800 miles. good paint (green), good condition, the usual wear & tear but no dents. Does have a little goo stuck to one of the mufflers - looks like someone melted a nylon pant leg on a hot pipe??

Just got back from a short twisty ride and filled her up. Last tank = 75 mpg. I would keep it but I am a big fan of a little thing we call torque.
Prolly gonna put it in flea market later.....
foster is offline   Reply With Quote