Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2006, 02:11 PM   #31
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,544
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster
Wife has decided to sell hers. PM me if interested.
2003 Ninja 250 with 6800 miles. good paint (green), good condition, the usual wear & tear but no dents. Does have a little goo stuck to one of the mufflers - looks like someone melted a nylon pant leg on a hot pipe??

Just got back from a short twisty ride and filled her up. Last tank = 75 mpg. I would keep it but I am a big fan of a little thing we call torque.
Prolly gonna put it in flea market later.....
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #32
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider
Heck, shop around, check craigslist and ebay and cycletrader. Of course a lightly used one with low miles is still more than I could buy one up here new for, but that's California, or Florida or most of the NE for you. Some psycho had one listed on craigslist for $7,000...I think enough people bitchslapped her that her grandchildren will have red cheeks...
Pay attention to this. DO NOT buy new if you can help it. Especially little bikes like this one.

HTH,

M
Old 06-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #33
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
Pay attention to this. DO NOT buy new if you can help it. Especially little bikes like this one.

HTH,

M
Why?

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #34
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!

HTH,

M
I bought mine new and rode it for a year and when I sold it I lost $100.
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM   #35
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,704
Since the US has very few good starter bikes, seems they hold their value pretty well. I wouldn't worry about it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #36
Jon Boy
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ninja250 : 74.2MPG, 101 MPH, MSRP $2999

In the February 2006 CYCLE WORLD there was an article on "Petrol Pinchers" that reported the Ninja250 with 74.2MPG, 101MPH, etc. Of possible interest is that even with great MPG#'s, the Ninja250's gas tank is rated at 4.8 US gallons. If you want to learn more go to Ninja250.org You could also go to Ninja250.net or Ninja250.com, but I prefer Ninja250.org when entering this web sight.

Now for a little research of the profiles...
Leon: finished 12th !!! in the 2003 Iron Butt on a Ninja250!!!!!!!
Duke Dunsford: finished the the 2005 Iron Butt on a Ninja250!!!
Troy: at the bottom of his profile he shows his bike set up for "touring":
note the factory made rack with Givi top box, etc. (Has the
VENTURA RACK that is made in New Zealand been discussed on this
web sight? They claim to make racks for a vast # of bikes...)

Next if you go to the FORUMS (but before you actually enter the General Ninja 250 Forum), look down and you'll see HALL OF FAME. In the Hall Of Fame is the excellent EIGHT part article on Bill's 100k miles report on his Ninja250!! Bill Hoddinott is 65+ years young and has over 100,000 miles on his Ninja250. His very detailed report is a great read...

If you want to know more, try the FAQ , FREQUENTLY DISCUSSED TOPICS ,
or the FORUM, etc. Also try the SEARCH feature.
Jon Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #37
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
Since the US has very few good starter bikes, seems they hold their value pretty well. I wouldn't worry about it.
All the ones I have seen on flea bay are starter bikes. The newest is owned by a girl and she says it has been down on BOTH sides and cracks and scratches and ....She is read for a bigger bike? DAM! I dont think she is but hey, what do I know. These people should learn to ride before buying! Buying new is looking like the only way to get what I want from a Ninja 250. I am CRAZY when it comes to keeping a car or bike in new condition. My PU looks new (except the chip from AK in dec.) and I want this to look that way also. SO either I luck out real soon, or new it is.

I am not worried about it loosing value, I ride bikes and drive my truck without thinking about resale values, Thats what I bought the for, to use. I keep em clean for the value. (and they look purty!)
Old 06-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #38
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
All the ones I have seen on flea bay are starter bikes. The newest is owned by a girl and she says it has been down on BOTH sides and cracks and scratches and ....She is read for a bigger bike? DAM! I dont think she is but hey, what do I know. These people should learn to ride before buying! Buying new is looking like the only way to get what I want from a Ninja 250. I am CRAZY when it comes to keeping a car or bike in new condition. My PU looks new (except the chip from AK in dec.) and I want this to look that way also. SO either I luck out real soon, or new it is.

I am not worried about it loosing value, I ride bikes and drive my truck without thinking about resale values, Thats what I bought the for, to use. I keep em clean for the value. (and they look purty!)
All the used ones around here were 2500
The one I bought was for my wife (tho' I am loving riding it) so we bought a pretty new one...as in brand new and pretty

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #39
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

anyone in NJ or CT know what the dealers are like? Do they give a little in the price dept?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #40
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,464
I'd sell you mine, but I'm not going to sell mine I would say buy used. I got mine, 2004, 800 miles, for $2,300. It is a lovely dark blue and has never been down. What a great machine. It's actually my wife's bike but it is so damn fun to ride around town at 12k RPM that I can't stay off of it.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #41
XJMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Ninja 250's are awesome bikes. I used to have one for commuting, I put 17k on mine, excellent MPG's and performance. Very easy to maintain, nothing had ever gone wrong with mine, except basic maintenence and tires. They lack a little bit on the highway if you plan to ride in the left lane the whole way, but depending on your size, they can hit around 100mph or so. They have decent power for a little bike and thrive in the higher RPM's. I put a Yosh pipe on mine didn't really notice much diff in MPG's but the added power was nice. They are actually pretty comfy on long rides, the only thing that I added was a decent sized tank bag, which helped add some upper body / head support to kind of lean on, because on longer rides like 100miles or so I used to feel a bit cramped, after all it is on the smaller side. Very worth the price and an excellent bike. And unless things have changed since I owned one, the helmet lock is absolutely useless, if you use it, it rests your helmet right on the really hot exhaust can
XJMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #42
wabbit45
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Goo on your muffler?

I had goo on my Concours... damn girlfriend was leaning her heels back and melting the soles of her shoes on my mufflers... BOTH SIDES!! Hard as hell to get off!

As for the guy claming 70mpg on his 650 bmw? I highly doubt it. I have the lighter, more flickable Suzuki Vstrom 650 and it has a whopping 5.8 gallon tank. Even when I go easy on it I have one gallon left at 275 miles. That's WAY short of 70mpg, but I will say I probably get 55 mpg on it, and it has the throttle-body fuel injection same as the bmw. In fact, I hear from dealerships that a lot of those beamer owners are trading theirs in on the 650 and 1000 Vstroms. I tend to believe it. Same bike if not better for half the price.

Have owned 2004 Concours, 2003 and 2005 FZ1, a couple 1982 Yamaha 650 Turbos, and the 2005 Vstrom in the last few years. My fav is still the Turbo. Best ergos I have ever experienced, best while riding in wind gusts, and talk about freaking out people on litre crotch rockets?! *lol* They can't believe the pull of that bike.

The ninja 250's a cute bike. Great starter bike, no doubt about that. at 6'2" and 175# I tend to be leaning to far forward on that little bike to call it an upright ride. Now if you're 5'7"-5'9" it probably feels great. But being a light bike it also suffers a jittery and simplistic (not very adjustable) suspension system. To alter that bike to something I would be happy on everyday would cost me as much as the bike did to begin with. Sorry, I don't think buzzing along on the highway at 9000rpm is very appetizing. And that buzz transfers itself to your butt, your wrists, and your legs on a long ride. Yes, I have ridden them before at length. The mirrors are only useless because they vibrate as much as the bike does. If gas mielage is the main thing for you then by all means buy one.

But I don't do twisties at speed anymore. My ride is more the daily grind to work, going out joyriding almost daily after work, and the occasssional cross-Florida jaunt. I bought the gel seat for the Vstrom and a center stand. It's an all day rider, not just a one tank comfortable bike. I love it, but it too is bulbous in front and prone to gusts of hiway wind and trucks because it is so lightweight. I wish it was more SV650 up front, very sleek. Oh yeah, tall riders only... it sits pretty high... even higher with the gel seat. But the ergos are wonderful.

Is there a perfect bike? I doubt it. Just whatever is perfect for you.

Stan

wabbit45 screwed with this post 06-03-2006 at 10:19 PM Reason: addition
wabbit45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #43
jimmyjam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit45
As for the guy claming 70mpg on his 650 bmw? I highly doubt it.
I was rather surprised too, but I wasn't claiming that the bmw got 70mpg - www.motorcycle.com did a shootout at http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mccompa...Mid_Standards/ (subscription required).

They listed the bmw as getting an average of 73.64 mpg.

Maybe it has something to do with the dual plugs and relatively low revs?
jimmyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #44
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
As for the guy claming 70mpg on his 650 bmw? I highly doubt it. I have the lighter, more flickable Suzuki Vstrom 650 and it has a whopping 5.8 gallon tank. Even when I go easy on it I have one gallon left at 275 miles. That's WAY short of 70mpg, but I will say I probably get 55 mpg on it, and it has the throttle-body fuel injection same as the bmw.
Over at the Chain Gang, people [I]routinely[I] report 60 to 65 mpg on their F650's and quite a few report 70 now and then, Enough to believe the guy above. As for your Strom 650 being "lighter" than the F650, not even on a good day. Its a good 30-40 pounds heavier. Both are good bikes.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #45
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit45
. But being a light bike it also suffers a jittery and simplistic (not very adjustable) suspension system. To alter that bike to something I would be happy on everyday would cost me as much as the bike did to begin with. Sorry, I don't think buzzing along on the highway at 9000rpm is very appetizing. And that buzz transfers itself to your butt, your wrists, and your legs on a long ride. Yes, I have ridden them before at length. The mirrors are only useless because they vibrate as much as the bike does. If gas mielage is the main thing for you then by all means buy one.

Stan
fifty people say it is a great bike and I was at about %85 sure I would go for the new one. ONE person says a negitive, and I am back to %0. Have you ever ridden a XRL? Thats what I have now and I am looking for something less buzzy then that. Everywhere I read about the high MPG';s and some getting over 75 while taking it easy. I am looing for high mpg, but not if it sucks to ride it. I know myself and the first free weekend I have, I am taking off for a LONG ride, first out east, jump on the Orient Point ferry to CT and ride ride ride. Then back to the ferry for the last crossing of the day.

SO, is it that buzzy? Buzzy enough to make me say, "MY HANDS! what happened to my fingers!" ? Or is it just more buzzy then a vstrom?

Anyone that has one or even ridden one can answer also. I need to know.

Anyone have a 250 on long island or CT that is willing to trade for a short ride together so I can see the buzz? I buy lunch?