Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #46
JamesRRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I hate to sound like I'm trying to sell you a 250, I have no reason to try to sway, but my GPZ1100 feels buzzier and more numbing to my hands than my 250 did. I realize that the perception of buzz is subjective. Now I will say that the seat for me was pretty uncomfortable, especially when not on curvy roads. Also, the front forks have a lot of dive when braking hard unless you modify them. When I went to a BMW RS with Corbin seat it felt like I was cheating (comfort wise). I also had an XRL. My whole body would be numb after a long stint on the freeway on that thing, but it was geared pretty short to be fair. It's definitely buzzier than the 250 though. Something I haven't seen noted is that the 250 has really well thought out aerodynamics. The mirrors split the air just in front of your hands and the windshield works better than you would think while not making a lot of noise in your helmet. I really miss mine.

James
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #47
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,117
I never had any kind of buzzy type of problem on my ninja,. If you're really serious about this, (You won't listen to the 50 of us that have given great review) then call a dealer, set up a test ride and try it for yourself. Because it's smaller, they should let you. As far as the price goes, the dealers probably won't budge - it's not marked up very high. I rode 450+ mile days, and I didn't think the seat was uncomfortable.
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #48
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKat
I never had any kind of buzzy type of problem on my ninja,. If you're really serious about this, (You won't listen to the 50 of us that have given great review) then call a dealer, set up a test ride and try it for yourself. Because it's smaller, they should let you. As far as the price goes, the dealers probably won't budge - it's not marked up very high. I rode 450+ mile days, and I didn't think the seat was uncomfortable.
Motocat, I asked the dealer about a test ride, he said he can't do it, all the bikes are dry. No fluids. I doubted that statment and was proven correct when someone bought a bike, they went to bring it around for service and the mechanic started her up and drove out the front door. I should try another dealer, maybe they are not such liars. ha.

I am serious about buying a second bike, I just don't want to end up selling it in 6 months because I can't feel my hands.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:22 AM   #49
JamesRRS
Gnarly Adventurer

If you can find a dealership with a used one, then you'll probably get a test ride. Another option is posting on this website...

http://forums.ninja250.org/

Ask if anyone is willing to let you ride their bike in your area...this is the most helpful bike specific user group I know of.

James
JamesRRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #50
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
Motocat, I asked the dealer about a test ride, he said he can't do it, all the bikes are dry. No fluids. I doubted that statment and was proven correct when someone bought a bike, they went to bring it around for service and the mechanic started her up and drove out the front door. I should try another dealer, maybe they are not such liars. ha.

I am serious about buying a second bike, I just don't want to end up selling it in 6 months because I can't feel my hands.
Stop gushing like a Elk in heat and do some more research...there are plenty of these out there for sale used and plenty of KLR 650's which might make you a better bike and which also gets decent mileage and you can ride in a normal position....tell the dealer who won't deal or allow a test ride to ^%%$$ off. Don't bend over the couch like many BMW riders do at poor service or ridiculous pricing. Don't even think about buying a 250 without a test ride...you might be happy or might be miserable....bikes and women are just like the city bus,,,there is always another one coming along in another 15 minutes....this 250 is supposed to be a good little bike but was built for small people or starters. The dealer knew the minute you asked about financing that he had you and didn't have to deal!
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #51
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by westnash
bend over the couch

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #52
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

I have been looking around, and I am not one to bend over. When the second guy said he can't do anything on the price I walked. But if no one will budge from the list price, That will not force me to buy a used bike. The other dealers are much further away and I can't run down there quick.

%80 of the used bikes are abused. If it is going to cost my 1800-2200 for a well used, scratched bike that someone learn to fall on, I will go new. I would guess, from what I have seen so far, that about 3-5 percent of the Ninja 250's are what I could accept. SO that narrows the field alot.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #53
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,686
I bought a '95 with 17,000 miles in 2002 for $1000. Kept it about 6 months until I decieded I needed a bigger track bike. Sold it for the same $.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #54
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,661
I don't think the 250 is very comfortable on the highway, but then again I'm 6' 3" tall. For that matter, I don't find my GS1150 very comfortable on the highway either.

The buzzing wasn't the problem for me, it was the cramped ergos (and the fact that you get blown around a lot). But seriously, does anyone buy a 250 to do regular 450 mile days?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #55
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWW
I don't think the 250 is very comfortable on the highway, but then again I'm 6' 3" tall. For that matter, I don't find my GS1150 very comfortable on the highway either.

The buzzing wasn't the problem for me, it was the cramped ergos (and the fact that you get blown around a lot). But seriously, does anyone buy a 250 to do regular 450 mile days?
I am 5'10" and the riding position should be ok. The buzzing is what I am worried about.

I don't plan on doing 450 every day for a week, but knowing I can makes it worthy. I work alot, usually 6 days a week, 10-14 hours a day and if I get 2-3 days every few months, I would like to know the bike I use to save gas, is pretty good at wasting it once in a while.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:27 PM   #56
mb182
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
My dealer had taken one on trade and I took it out for a spin. Was impressed with the ride smoothness and speed, but it IS gutless!
I am keeping an eye out for a small bike for the work run but think a dualsport will give a bit more performance and still sip the gas

MB
mb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #57
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb182
My dealer had taken one on trade and I took it out for a spin. Was impressed with the ride smoothness and speed, but it IS gutless!
I am keeping an eye out for a small bike for the work run but think a dualsport will give a bit more performance and still sip the gas

MB
I have an XRL, it sips gas but I am looking for something that only uses the fumes. And also to put some miles behind me when the mood strikes me. Still looking on flea bay but shit, they have some crap on there!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #58
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello everyone,
Myself and 6 close friends have all bought new EX250's this spring, 2 are new riders. I have been riding for 30+ years.
So far we are all enjoying the bikes and are amazed at the fuel economy of these capable little machines.
The first weekend of June several of us headed to Elkhart Lake Wi to witness the races at Road America, one of the new riders joined us for the 800+ mile 2 day journey on his 250 with the rest of us on or larger bikes (1100-1300).
We were all pleased that he had no issuses with keeping up with us and his comfort level was on par with ours. His fuel milage at 75-80mph was still over 70mpg, he is very happy with his new purchase.
I purchased my 250 to encourage the newer riders to follow suit, it has worked out well (Muuuhhahahaha, the sheep have followed).
As it turns out, I am truly enjoying my 250. It has become my daily ride.
The fun factor of these bikes has me really packing on the miles, several 200 mile days just for the fun of it........no regrets on this purchase.
Fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #59
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallacy
Hello everyone,
Myself and 6 close friends have all bought new EX250's this spring, 2 are new riders. I have been riding for 30+ years.
So far we are all enjoying the bikes and are amazed at the fuel economy of these capable little machines.
The first weekend of June several of us headed to Elkhart Lake Wi to witness the races at Road America, one of the new riders joined us for the 800+ mile 2 day journey on his 250 with the rest of us on or larger bikes (1100-1300).
We were all pleased that he had no issuses with keeping up with us and his comfort level was on par with ours. His fuel milage at 75-80mph was still over 70mpg, he is very happy with his new purchase.
I purchased my 250 to encourage the newer riders to follow suit, it has worked out well (Muuuhhahahaha, the sheep have followed).
As it turns out, I am truly enjoying my 250. It has become my daily ride.
The fun factor of these bikes has me really packing on the miles, several 200 mile days just for the fun of it........no regrets on this purchase.
Since you all have larger bikes what was the reason you gae the other that made them baaaaay (get it, sheep? go baaa? never mind...) a new bike?
Reading your post, I think I should just run out and buy new. Just took a 80 miles ride this morning on the XRL. Did the beach tour (no camera, no pics) and was loving the ride. It was great, and it takes about 30 minutes to warm that BRP up to where it should be. Very cool day here on Long Island, and windy as hell. (I been there, its windy.) But it was running great. If I had the Ninja, I might be in Conneticut by now...
Old 06-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #60
drecian
token asian guy

Oddometer: 104
i just picked up a ZZR250, which is the same engine as the GPX/EX250 (i'm still a n00b as i've only been riding for a year or so) and as i'm fairly pinner (5'5", 135lb), i've found the ergonomics to pretty much be spot on for me. since i'm stepping up from a '80 yamaha YB100 2-smoke with all of 8hp and 99kg/220lb, i'm still getting used to the size in slow manoeuvers, but the power is awesome compared to the 100. fuel economy hasn't really changed for me but the 18L tank lets me get 300 odd kms before any hint of worry.

my $0.02