Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #61
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
The first one to decide to purchase a EX250 was my daughter, I weakened and bought one at the same time.....somehow I had all my riding gear with me.....
Next to buy was her husband who also has a Honda ST1300 closely followed by his younger brother.
The following week an old friend bought 2, one for himself to use as a commuter and one for his son for his first bike.
Then a few days later another good friend that I had just taught to ride the week before made the plunge, he is the one that went to WI with us. He owned the bike for 4 days and he had 1000 miles on it.....seems pretty hardcore to me.
It's great fun to get out together on the same mounts and just enjoy the ride.
Fallacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:00 AM   #62
spike13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I was looking for a 250 and wanted new for the same reasons you posted. But then I started looking at craigslist and there's tons of these with like 100 miles that people bought to learn on and never rode. I just bought one with 136 miles on it, the kid hasn't even made the first loan payment - for $1000 below what it would have been at the dealer!
spike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:49 AM   #63
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
You found a great deal.
All of us are racking up the miles on ours, the fuel mileage makes it seem almost free.
Still very pleased with the performance and economy.
Cruising 85 into a 25mph headwind makes it work but all other conditions are done with ease..........still having fun.
Fallacy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #64
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I bought a 250 Ninja new in 01 and immediately fitted a 15:41 final because the OEM final was way too short for me. Now the rpm/ speed works out to be 6000/60mph, 7000/70mph, etc in 6th. Rolling along at 60mph on the flats it will pull 90mpg but if you add hills, twisties, a passenger, wind, a touring load, or higher rpm you are down to the 70's to 80's.

Though I'm only 5'7" I do find the seat to peg height a bit too short for me. I'm in the process of having the seat reworked to add about an 1"-1 1/2" (the front pocket area of seat) of height which should end the problem. Otherwise, it is a superb little bike. As a matter of fact I'm looking to pick up a second to set up as a touring mount.

Also have 650 BMW GSD and 250 Priller. The 650 has pulled 62mpg with a full 1 up touring load (panniers and top bag) and about 65-68 with solo rider. Think the Priller gets 20 on the track, how about that for contrast.

But like most of you I DON'T ride motorcycles to be "on the cheap" when it comes to fuel or any other aspect of riding. It's just an added perk. And unfortunately for me I can't use a bike for commuting to work.

The little Ninja may not work for everyone but for those who prefer smaller machines it's the best of the lightweight class.
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #65
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Rolling along at 60mph on the flats it will pull 90mpg but if you add hills, twisties, a passenger, wind, a touring load, or higher rpm you are down to the 70's to 80's.
Your the first persopn to claim this high an mpg figure.

I rode all day today, 210 miles and the only thing that hurts is my ass. That XRL seat must have been designed by a sadist.

The upright riding position on my bike is the way I like it. I do find myself sitting back too far, and my hands let me know is within 2-3 minutes. I dont think I could ride The Ninja for very long with out my hands going to sleep from leaning so far forward.

I am still looking for someone to switch bikes with me and go for a ride together. I would like a test run to see if I can even ride this little beast/
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #66
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe on this forum but others have reported (other forums) near 90 mark figures when using a taller final as well.

With a 15:41 final (most all rave about making this change) and keeping the rpms between 5500 and 6000 seem to be key. Anything over 6000 and high rpm shift points and you can forget it. I done some modest spirited riding on back country roads at 7000-8000+rpm and for a days run (240 mi) calculated mileage figures in the lower 70's. The lowest I ever got was about 60 but there was alot ot of 8-10000 rpm activity that day. Have not had the need for 10000+ yet, I have better bikes (2 strokers)for that kind of stuff.

Others have reported figures in the 50's but I would bet they are still running the OEM final and spinning the engine at 8000+ all the time to get anywhere.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:50 PM   #67
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
I just picked up an 02 in Portland, OR a few weeks ago with 19K on it. I love this thing. I got a sweet deal on it for $1,600 and it came with all the best mods you can do to one. List of mods include:
Pirelli MT75 tires
RaceTech Cartridge Fork Emulators
Sonic .80 kg/mm Springs
EX600 Shock
Sylvania Silverstar headlight
Extra brake/running lights in rear pods
Progrip Gel Grips
StompGrip on tank
GenMar Risers
Throttlemeister
"Cramp Buster" Throttle Lever
Duke Arctic Shield
Duke Standard Shield
Jeb Rack
Givi E350 "Flow" Topcase
RK GB520GXW Chain
AFAM 15T Front Sprocket
SW Motech Quick-Lock Tank bag
Wooly Mullet Seat Cover
Cobra ESD6200 Radar Detector/With
Helmet Mounted Speaker
Ive been getting 70 mpg but havent been flogging the hell out of it. With the bar risers and the seat pad its as comfortable as my beemer with the Corbin touring seat. I added a 1/2" thick piece of blue carpet padding under the sheepskin cover. The motor is actually really smooth for a twin and I would say just as smooth as my K75's.
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #68
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Bugtussel, that is quite a positive thing to say that the 250 is as smooth as a K75. I won't disagree with you because it IS smooth for a twin. Another thing is that the 250 surely shifts better. I have an 89 K75 also, and it is like riding an ox, but it is electric motor smooth.

With 19K on the clock someone took reasonable care of that engine to this point for you to still get 70mpg. In my search for a 2nd bike (250) I've run across many a neglected engine with only 10k on the clock. Some of these people never thought of changing the oil or checking the valves. My favorites are the ones that have been converted to the street fighter look because all the body work has been destroyed; can't get away from those fast enough.

Thanks for the set up list, I'm checking out the GenMar risers.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:22 AM   #69
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,992
My friend came in 12th in the 2003 IBR on one.

The version we get in Canada is downright gorgeous!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:44 AM   #70
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR_Ron

That is sweet. I'd love to get one for my son.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 08:46 AM   #71
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,880
Quote:

It gets all the way to Canada and we can't get them?
Ron, how much do they list for? What do you know about the specs and performance compared to the Ninja?
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 AM   #72
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 7,992
It's WAY more expensive. Has perimeter aluminum alloy frame, 17" wheels, adjustable levers and suspension. Same basic engine block, with
digital spark control, etc.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #73
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle
I just picked up an 02 in Portland, OR a few weeks ago with 19K on it. I love this thing. I got a sweet deal on it for $1,600 and it came with all the best mods you can do to one. List of mods include:
Ok, Ill give you $1,800...and my left nut since I don't have a use for it...
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #74
closet_motorhead
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
It's WAY more expensive. Has perimeter aluminum alloy frame, 17" wheels, adjustable levers and suspension. Same basic engine block, with
digital spark control, etc.
Ron, I just got an '04 ZZR - where did you get the flush-mount rear signals?

I didn't really realize how different our Canadian models were until this post!
closet_motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #75
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,703
Moved to SK from MN, saw the zzr in the flesh at the local stealer's a while back. Great looking bike. I'm seriously considering buying one so I can keep it when I get back to the states.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote