Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 AM   #91
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithkeyboard
Yeabut that OTD price, does it include tax and reg? Those prices go down on a used bike. Im finding plenty of year 2000+ for under $2,000. Just missed a 2002 today with 2100 miles for $1,900. So it has a couple of scratches, I'll probably put a few on it too. Too each his own, but for good value, slightly used is the way to go, especially if you have patience.
How long have you been looking? A few scratches is an understatment. I take care of my stuff in a slightly fanatical manor. I see descriptions on ebay claiming the bike has never been dropped, except for this one time that broke the signal, cracked the fairing and scratched the exhuast. Patience? I will keep looking around for a few weeks, then maybe pop in to the honda dealer for one of these. MPG be dammed! I can always change the sprockets on the XRL and with this BRP I can cruise the roads in comfort. Will I still be an ADV rider???

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:35 AM   #92
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Yeabut that OTD price, does it include tax and reg? Those prices go down on a used bike. Im finding plenty of year 2000+ for under $2,000. Just missed a 2002 today with 2100 miles for $1,900. So it has a couple of scratches, I'll probably put a few on it too. Too each his own, but for good value, slightly used is the way to go, especially if you have patience.
Yeah that OTD is after tax, tags, fun and profit (freight and prep). I agree that there are some steals on the used market and these bikes can run high miles so 2100 miles is almost new. It's just not much of a commitment to get a new one if you plan to keep it a while....that said, I've never bought a new vehicle.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:54 AM   #93
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
....that said, I've never bought a new vehicle.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #94
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg
Laugh now...but my nissan trucks go 250,000 miles before I think about selling them. My last one made it there with only brakes, a starter, and an alternator. I consider those wear items at 200k. My "new" one is at 100,000 right now with only new brake pads. (I bought them both with about 30k on them). I pick my bikes the same way...slightly used. I've had excellent results so far and have done all my own maintenance. Buying new and taking the hit is for suckers. In the case of the little ninja, there's not much of a hit.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #95
dwsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Here is one for sale in Ohio. I don't know the guy just happen to see the ad.
dwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #96
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,009
Looked at a 98 last night for $1,600. 1700 miles, bought by a chick learning to ride, or so the story said. Went to look and it had been slid hard on left side, fairing severly cracked. Had been "dropped" in a parking lot on the left side and the sproket? cover had needed replacing, with an old scratched up unit. When I asked about why the turn signals were disconnected, the husband said it was from the last track day. Told them I'd think about it overnight.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #97
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looked at a 98 last night for $1,600. 1700 miles, bought by a chick learning to ride, or so the story said. Went to look and it had been slid hard on left side, fairing severly cracked. Had been "dropped" in a parking lot on the left side and the sproket? cover had needed replacing, with an old scratched up unit. When I asked about why the turn signals were disconnected, the husband said it was from the last track day. Told them I'd think about it overnight.
If he went to the trouble to disconnect the signals, he surely pulled the odometer as well. It's pretty easy to spot a ragged out bike. I've been looking around for a few days and these little ninjas are EVERYWHERE. You should be able to find a <3000 mile bike in perfect condition for $2k or less.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #98
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsmith
Here is one for sale in Ohio. I don't know the guy just happen to see the ad.
It cracks me up that people ask $2750 (before taxes) for a used bike with visible damage when the bike sells for less brand new (2006 model). Out the door is $3250 around here on a new one.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #99
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
If he went to the trouble to disconnect the signals, he surely pulled the odometer as well. It's pretty easy to spot a ragged out bike. I've been looking around for a few days and these little ninjas are EVERYWHERE. You should be able to find a <3000 mile bike in perfect condition for $2k or less.
Good luck with that thought. I have looked, 80% have been dropped by the "Girlfriend" Another 15% fell over. I am still looking for the other 5%!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #100
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,009
Found this doing a little research. The 86-87 model seems to be a collector item. Different seat and fairing.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #101
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

wow. that is in perfect condiftion! You say you found it, does that mean you bought it?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:30 AM   #102
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good luck with that thought. I have looked, 80% have been dropped by the "Girlfriend" Another 15% fell over. I am still looking for the other 5%!
There are tons of perfect ones. I'll say that my search hasn't been limited to my immediate area. I'm willing to do a fly and ride if the price is right.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:58 AM   #103
100mpg OP
This sentance intent

Quote:
There are tons of perfect ones. I'll say that my search hasn't been limited to my immediate area. I'm willing to do a fly and ride if the price is right.
I am willing to drive a good distance but a fly and ride with this bike negates any savings over buying new. Unless you know a rich guy with his own plane and will fly you there for nothing?

If you find something in NY let me know. I hae not given up on buying one, yet, just gave up on spending hours looking.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:33 AM   #104
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am willing to drive a good distance but a fly and ride with this bike negates any savings over buying new. Unless you know a rich guy with his own plane and will fly you there for nothing?

If you find something in NY let me know. I hae not given up on buying one, yet, just gave up on spending hours looking.
I bought my dr650 in holland, michigan...I live in Texas. The plane ticket was about $120 and I camped on the way home (and stayed with a friend in memphis). I spent a couple hundred dollars on fuel and food etc but it was a hell of a vacation. Why not make a ride of it? Do you plan to ride the bike? Why not now?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:24 AM   #105
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
It cracks me up that people ask $2750 (before taxes) for a used bike with visible damage when the bike sells for less brand new (2006 model). Out the door is $3250 around here on a new one.
No kidding
My buddy just bought the same bike (color and all) with 1100 on the clock for $2200. Had a couple skuffs on the mirror and pipe from "falling over"

When I was looking all I say was a shitty green one for 2650 so we bought a new one in a color my wife likes. Wife...yeah...I need to give her the keys back because its got 100+ of my miles on it and only 15 of hers

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote