Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Performance tuning the Wee

Hey all,

I have about some 8,000+ miles on my Wee and am considering a few upgrades perfomance-wise.

What I am hearing about is people installing K&N air filters and Iridium spark plugs. Some say you need to remap the fuel injection chip, some say you don't. Some say you will only get some performance increase with a sport exhaust. Some say... Some say... Some say... But all agree on increase of fuel consumption! haha!

I know it is not a racing bike, but if I can safely squeeze out a few horse-power and/or a little bit extra torque and/or a better feel to it, why not?

If somebody reading this did such performance upgrades, can you please tell me what you did, what was the expected result and what was the real result of it?

Thanks in advance!

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen
gtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
randomride
Bike whore

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtludwig View Post
Hey all,

I have about some 8,000+ miles on my Wee and am considering a few upgrades perfomance-wise.

What I am hearing about is people installing K&N air filters and Iridium spark plugs. Some say you need to remap the fuel injection chip, some say you don't. Some say you will only get some performance increase with a sport exhaust. Some say... Some say... Some say... But all agree on increase of fuel consumption! haha!

I know it is not a racing bike, but if I can safely squeeze out a few horse-power and/or a little bit extra torque and/or a better feel to it, why not?

If somebody reading this did such performance upgrades, can you please tell me what you did, what was the expected result and what was the real result of it?

Thanks in advance!
The installation of an aftermarket exhaust will increase HP and torque, but not by much (usually around 7% give or take a little). Adding a PC III/V will also help make a couple of more ponies. The K&N is a push on gains.

All of this will empty your wallet some $600-$900 dollars and maybe give you a net gain of 7-9hp. The trouble is, most of this gain will be above 7K rpms where most spend very little time riding.

Just keep the engine serviced and spend that money on better gear or more fuel
Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomride View Post
The installation of an aftermarket exhaust will increase HP and torque, but not by much (usually around 7% give or take a little). Adding a PC III/V will also help make a couple of more ponies. The K&N is a push on gains.

All of this will empty your wallet some $600-$900 dollars and maybe give you a net gain of 7-9hp. The trouble is, most of this gain will be above 7K rpms where most spend very little time riding.

Just keep the engine serviced and spend that money on better gear or more fuel
Get a Vee2...it will be cheaper and more satisfying in the long run.
The Wee is a fine bike, but getting a significant power increase without affecting driveability and reliability is near impossible.
You can't get 10 gallons out of a 5 gallon pail.
Many have tried though...
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
If you must spend money then spend it on suspension. Also my Wee didn't really break-in until it have 20K miles on it. I changed the fork oil and added 25mm spacers to the dampening rods to increase the travel and put a DL1K shock with 25mm rising links on the back. That made the bike faster than anything I could have done to the engine.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Thank you for your input!

For Vee2 you meant the new redesigned DL1000? It looks nice, but I much rather prefer the analog speedometer. But it's just me being a prick!

"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." – Steve McQueen
Old 11-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
If you must spend money then spend it on suspension. Also my Wee didn't really break-in until it have 20K miles on it. I changed the fork oil and added 25mm spacers to the dampening rods to increase the travel and put a DL1K shock with 25mm rising links on the back. That made the bike faster than anything I could have done to the engine.
By DL1K shock you mean something like this?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55 View Post
If you must spend money then spend it on suspension.
^^^ THIS ^^^

If you change exhaust then do it for the weight reduction NOT for HP
Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Is it THAT significant?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Is it THAT significant?
Yes YES YES it is THAT significant. The v-650 has enough power, I know it is somewhat uninspiring and kind of Vanilla in it's delivery but it is a GREAT engine that will very likely never let you down.

Invest in some Progressive Suspension front and rear and you will fall in love with your bike. If you can afford it take it up another notch and shell out for Öhlins

Old 11-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,756
go to vstrom.info for an insane amount of information, most with detailed pics. Not too much traffic, but you can get an informative answer pretty quick.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thank you for your input!

For Vee2 you meant the new redesigned DL1000? It looks nice, but I much rather prefer the analog speedometer. But it's just me being a prick!
Yes...and I too like analog gauges, more so tach...a dig speedo I do not mind.
BTW, I had a chance to drive the new V2...not very far...but it seemed to have, and most reviews state that the suspenders are real nice.
And, yes, as others have said, a good suspension upgrade is possibly the best mod you can make, especially to a "budget" bike. In no means do I insult the Wee, but it IS built to a price spec. The suspension and more so the brakes fall into the "budget" category. The engine, on the other hand is an utter gem! Possibly one of the nicest, most efficient,overall, motorcycle engines ever built.(power and cost wise)

Toto screwed with this post 11-19-2014 at 06:54 PM
Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Yes YES YES it is THAT significant. The v-650 has enough power, I know it is somewhat uninspiring and kind of Vanilla in it's delivery but it is a GREAT engine that will very likely never let you down.

Invest in some Progressive Suspension front and rear and you will fall in love with your bike. If you can afford it take it up another notch and shell out for Öhlins
Nice picture!

So, essentially, for the rear, I would want something like this, right?

And for the front something similar to this?

What about brakes? Steel braided brake lines?

gtludwig screwed with this post 11-19-2014 at 08:27 PM
Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #13
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Damn!
Just went to ebay and found this.
Same year as mine, but with ABS and very low mileage at quite an affodable price. But I'd need to be living in the US and have the cash ready...

Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice picture!

So, essentially, for the rear, I would want something like this, right?

And for the front something similar to this?

What about brakes? Steel braided brake lines?
If you pop over to the STROMTROOPER forum, you can find all sorts of stuff.
I think some guys do a GSXR? brake swap with adapter mounts.
Check the forum out if you havn't already.
A GREAT bunch of guys and gals.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
gtludwig OP
Adventurer

Thanks all for the bits and pieces of information you shared with me here.
I will direct my questions to the vsri and stromtrooper forums.
These possibilities just sparkled a lot of new and exciting ideas!

Safe rides!