User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #1561
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
dealer

No dealers close to home.Called Joe's in Dayton and they had no leftovers. Went to an unnamed dealer in Columbus and the snot nosed kid I talked to didn't know a Triumph from a Volkswagen and treated me like an inconvenience. Went to the other dealer in Columbus...Motohio...they had a '07....treated me like a customer. Bought the bike on the spot.Pretty good deal w/ the $1,000 in accessories. I'm a happy dude.
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #1562
scrambled
hillbilly

picture from Sunday's ride

From Sunday.......
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #1563
NVarmr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
1459, 1470

Reread posts 1459 and 1470, did not miss them before. They are more statements about stats power the way I read them. I am more concerned about actual feel on the throttle. From posts in this thread and a couple of others mention of low end light switch type throttle control with EFI seems to be a possibility if not really tuned right. I read this as meaning at lower rpm the throttle control could be touchy. Something of a concern for me as a relatively new rider overall, not a big fan of surprises.

Probably troll by the dealer again this next weekend and see what type of deal I am looking at locally.
NVarmr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #1564
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVarmr1
Reread posts 1459 and 1470, did not miss them before. They are more statements about stats power the way I read them. I am more concerned about actual feel on the throttle. From posts in this thread and a couple of others mention of low end light switch type throttle control with EFI seems to be a possibility if not really tuned right. I read this as meaning at lower rpm the throttle control could be touchy. Something of a concern for me as a relatively new rider overall, not a big fan of surprises.

Probably troll by the dealer again this next weekend and see what type of deal I am looking at locally.
FWIW, the tests that I have read about other Triumph models have said that the throttle control on EFI is really good, so I would expect no untoward surprises.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:08 PM   #1565
scrambled
hillbilly

Question tailbag ?

Would love to hear about a particular brand/model of tailbag that fits the Triumph accessory rack/solo seat. I have a Triumph tank bag but it's kind of a pain to install (have to remove seat to attach mounting pad to tank). Not too handy for spur of the moment excursions. Would like to find a small tail bag for camera, rainsuit, etc. The tailbags that I already have don't fit the odd shaped rack very well.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #1566
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
Would love to hear about a particular brand/model of tailbag that fits the Triumph accessory rack/solo seat. I have a Triumph tank bag but it's kind of a pain to install (have to remove seat to attach mounting pad to tank). Not too handy for spur of the moment excursions. Would like to find a small tail bag for camera, rainsuit, etc. The tailbags that I already have don't fit the odd shaped rack very well.
Until I got the Ventura system I just used an army surplus gas mask carrier, but I am thinking you want something a little more uptown than that.

Emily Bronte
Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #1567
scrambled
hillbilly

Laugh yeah

Maybe just a little more uptown......am not one to worry too much about looks but the Scrambler is so daggone purty. I have a milk crate bolted to the rack of my army green KLR and on that bike it looks like it belongs there. Maybe something just a wee bit more upscale would be appropriate on the Scrambler.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #1568
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Maybe a nice picnic basket from Pier I would have the look you are after.

Lexington RAT is having a ride this Sunday, Jun 1. They are meeting at the courthouse in Versailes, KY at 1pm if you are looking for somewhere to go for a ride.
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #1569
scrambled
hillbilly

huh ?

What's a Pier 1 ? Do their picnic baskets come with BBQ ribs already in 'em ? Might be interesed if they do.
Thanks for the info about the Rat ride this Sunday. Probably won't be able to make it. It looks like I'll be working and if not, I promised my two teenage boys that we would load our 4-wheelers and go ATVing at Wayne National Forest the next available opportunity. I normally only get 1 all day Sunday a month for my rides. Do the bulk of my riding in 1 or 2 hour spurts. I went on a ride w/ the Dayton Rat Pack last month. Great group of guys. Next month, would like to check out a "dual sport ride". Have never been on an organized dual sport ride. Am curious to check one out. Preferably nothing too "hairy" at first. Haven't taken the Scrambler offroad yet. There is a state forest APV area close to here. Have been in there on the KLR and ATV's. Pretty mild trails but can be greasy when wet. Will probably try the Scrambler there after the trails dry out.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #1570
BarkSlayer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I'm noticing the blue/white color scheme with the blacked out engine in the last few pics. What model year is that bike? I wasn't aware that the black engine was available with the blue/white paint.

I miss my Triumph Tiger...and I really need one of these bikes!

"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent
BarkSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #1571
Ringadingdoo
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulviapaulo
Hi guys!

Been watching this thread for sometimes but on a random basis as I don't have any Triumph but really like the ones with a "hint" of cafe racer, besides that my uncle owns a Thruxton among others.

Anyway, last year I saw this Scrambler in a classic and vintage auto and moto show but din't get any photo, just remembered it said somethin' like being a special edition. Yesterday I was at an automobilia show and to my surprise there were more bikes than cars (still dunno if I should be glad or sad ) and at the same seller's stand there was the same Scrambler (1st pic) and a new one (2nd pic)

Still can't find nothing on the net about the Scrambler but that setup really makes me mad On the side panel it says Jumatsu Special Edition. The other one also says Jumatsu. And here is my question(s). What is Jumatsu? Any of you ever heard of it? (sorry if my question is somewhat dumb but I'm completely off the scene regarding Triumph)

Cheers
going to bump this too, I would be really interested who built these two machines!
Ringadingdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #1572
scrambled
hillbilly

Laugh blue/white paint w/ black motor

My blue/white paint w/ blacked out motor is a 2007. Bought new last month(leftover). The blue & white ones are the fastest.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #1573
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVarmr1

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be a smartass. I just remembered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
The EFI Scrambler isn't here yet either - but I have done plenty of saddle time on the other 270 cranks...

It's a smoother motor with efi - like really smooth engine for a twin...
Good fuel injection is better than carbs and for me virtually indistinguisable, ie meaning I can't tell what's pumping the fuel. Some manufacturers nail FI and those bikes are a joy to ride. Other's mess it up and yes those bikes can be a pain to ride. My own personal experience from the bikes I have owned and ridden is that Kawasaki and Triumph seem to nail their FI. My MeanStreak and Jodie's Ninja had flawless FI. Likewise the Tiger I spent time on had very good FI. Riding all these bikes, you never think about what's happening with the fuel delivery, it just works, perfectly, all the time.

Now my riding buddies Suzuki V-Strom is another matter. You can't ride that thing at a constant rpm below about 5000, it's "hunting" and jerking and not fun at all. It's not dangerous or critical, just annoying, d@mn annoying. But having said that, most FI woes are fairly easily cured with a new fuel map either from the dealer (as my buddy did), or using a Power Commander etc.

Carb'd bikes aren't perfect either. My Suzuki DR650 has a lean surge that behaves just like my buddies FI V-Strom. Again this is easily fixed with a rejet and adjustment of the carb, but we keep these bikes in storage in another province and I never have tools with me, so for the past year I have just been living with the surge. Once we move and I have my tools and an actual garage to work in and not a storage unit, I'll get the bike running properly.

All I'm trying to say is I (me personally) wouldn't worry about what comes on the bike. You're not about to hop on an unruly liter bike here with a light switch for a throttle, it's a Triumph Twin which is a very forgiving, easy bike to ride. Good luck on your search.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #1574
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,484
Hey guys,
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Scrambler. I got a leftover '07 which is currently red & white but if all goes well will eventually be green & silver. BTW if any of you guys have an '06 or '07 green & silver and you're tired of the color scheme (doubtful, I know), PM me about the possibility of a body swap. My dealer found out the hard way that an '08 tank will not fit on an '07 bike.

Anyway, I picked the bike up on the 17th and have been having a great time with it. It's so much fun to ride despite (or perhaps because of) the primitive budget suspension. It's exactly what I was looking for in terms of a new old bike.

I've removed the air injection and the charcoal canisters (turns out it was a CA bike), dialed in the carbs (idle mixture was set way lean), added the Triumph centerstand and added a powered GPS mount. That's probably how it will stay except perhaps for a Ventura luggage rack in the future.

It's a great bike and I'll post some pics later. Might do a comprehensive post like I did with my Tiger.

The Jerk screwed with this post 05-28-2008 at 09:34 AM
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #1575
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
Hey guys,
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Scrambler.

Congrats!!!

Emily Bronte