ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #15916
Dead Eye
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Home
Oddometer: 220
Hello

I have been lurking for a year or so, I think it is time to get involved. Here is my bike. I think this may have been the first day I brought it home, 3000 miles ago.






In regards to a question several pages back about scramblers pulling to the right, all vehicles do this to some extent. It is caused by the slope of the road. Most paved roads are crowned along the centerline, meaning that the lanes slope down from the center to the edge for drainage purposes. This cross slope, as it is called, is normally 2% on a straight road, but can vary greatly. This slope causes the vehicle to pull toward the shoulder. If you were riding on the left side of the road you should notice a pull to the left instead of the right. You can adjust alignment to compensate for this effect, but if you are set up for a 2% slope then travel down a road were the slope is 3% you will still have a pull to the right, and if the slope is 1% the drift will be to the left. You can really see this effect dramatically if you go around a sharp curve slowly. The slope is increased in curves, known as superelevation, and at low enough speeds your bike will follow the curve without any input from you.
Dead Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #15917
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mint julep's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 184
Hi Deaf Eye, I agree with you about the crowns to road surfaces.

But all of my other rides, on the same roads, all ride straight and true.
My Scrambler was out of wack, more so than normal I believe.

Sadly I lowsided about a month ago, and what do you know, it rides straight.
Unfortunately, it was a write off after dealer assessment.

But I know the Scram can ride straight and true now.
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #15918
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state
 
HighwayChile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Bow, WA USA
Oddometer: 4,263
check out the movie "one week", norton commando is the star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad1 View Post
For the last 12 years I've ridden a ZRX1200.

I've been tempted by the Scrambler for the last 2 years, though. I've test ridden the bike 6 times now, and I've never wanted to return it to the dealer. Each time I've wanted to load my tent and sleeping bag, and keep riding.

I do need a bike that will slow me down , and the only other bike that I've ever ridden that pleases me as much as the ZRX is the Scrambler.

Your posts and your pictures have only "added fuel to the fire".

On a side note, we all know that there is a severe shortage of good novels that incorporate a motorcycle road trip as a significant part of the main story line. Forgotten Road by bestselling author Randall Arthur is a novel that now attempts to fill this gap. During the last 30 chapters of the book, the main character "walks away from the rat race" and lives day to day on the road, on a modern day Triumph Scrambler. The overall plot is a cliffhanger that everyone will enjoy, men and women alike. The book is already receiving great reviews. Check it out on the author’s website.
__________________
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.” .....Steve McQueen
HighwayChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #15919
Dead Eye
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Home
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by mint julep View Post
Sadly I lowsided about a month ago, and what do you know, it rides straight.
Unfortunately, it was a write off after dealer assessment.
.
That stinks. I think I will just live with it rather than go to such extreme measures.

By the way, Deaf Eye was a typo. Got it fixed now.
Dead Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #15920
allan68
Adventurer
 
allan68's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
If you're after weather protection, Barkbusters make "Storm" guards that fit the Scrambler. Pair them up with some Oxford heated grips and you can ride down to near freezing temps with summer weight gloves.
Thanks for the reply.
Are the Oxford grips those one piece sealed units?
Are you able to trim the ends of those to incorporate handguards?
__________________
Allan
2007 Triumph Scram
2008 Ktm XC 300
2001 LC4 640e > sold
Super Tenere > sold
allan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #15921
Bikebits
Scramblin' man
 
Bikebits's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan68 View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Are the Oxford grips those one piece sealed units?
Are you able to trim the ends of those to incorporate handguards?
http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...id=137&pid=174

They work fine with any type of bar-end accessories.
__________________
Dave


'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #15922
Rad1
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 3
Eek

Steve SA and Hackflipper,

I know; I know. I need to take the "big leap". I guess I'm waiting and hoping that in the next year or two Triumph will release an "R" version of the Scrambler and give it 15 extra horsepower, a two-into-one Arrow pipe, and a stronger suspension system (all built in to the purchase price).

By the way, on the multiple occasions when I test rode the Scrambler I was never able to ride it on the Interstate for any considerable distance. Therefore, I need to ask this question: Can you cruise at 85 for long distances (on empty stretches of straight road, of course)? What about 90 ?
Rad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #15923
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad1 View Post
Therefore, I need to ask this question: Can you cruise at 85 for long distances (on empty stretches of straight road, of course)? What about 90 ?
Yes, all day long. If its spinning too fast for you, go +1 on the countershaft.
Maybe uncork the bike with an aftermarket exhaust, air filter and mapping (assuming its new). That helps quite a bit.

Then enjoy.
__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #15924
optical
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: North Virginia
Oddometer: 64
I commute 80+ on the Green way most days. Its a little better with the windshield.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #15925
Easy10pins
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad1 View Post
By the way, on the multiple occasions when I test rode the Scrambler I was never able to ride it on the Interstate for any considerable distance. Therefore, I need to ask this question: Can you cruise at 85 for long distances (on empty stretches of straight road, of course)? What about 90 ?
19 tooth front sprocket and you won't even use 5th gear in town. Once you hit the highway, click into 5th and cruise at 80mph.

I would also recommend either a front fork brace or steering damper if you don't plan on upgrading the suspension anytime soon. Stock suspension wobbles a bit on uneven pavement.
Easy10pins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #15926
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad1 View Post
Steve SA and Hackflipper,

I know; I know. I need to take the "big leap". I guess I'm waiting and hoping that in the next year or two Triumph will release an "R" version of the Scrambler and give it 15 extra horsepower, a two-into-one Arrow pipe, and a stronger suspension system (all built in to the purchase price).

By the way, on the multiple occasions when I test rode the Scrambler I was never able to ride it on the Interstate for any considerable distance. Therefore, I need to ask this question: Can you cruise at 85 for long distances (on empty stretches of straight road, of course)? What about 90 ?
The chances of Triumph bringing out a model with an arrow pipe as standard are zero. I doubt very much too that they'd upgrade the suspension to a level that most seasoned riders would find acceptable. That said, many owners are more than happy with the stock setup.

Most of us aren't however and I'd say that if you're going to finance the bike, you may as well just include the Arrow, fork springs and rear shocks in the financing.

Regarding more HP. I must tell you that just fitting the Zard 2-1 pipe on my bike (ok it was a road going T100 bonnie) has without a doubt given my bike 20% more squirt (I was amazed at the difference). My friend had his arrow fitted before the bike was delivered so we can't compare the before and after but he is more than satisfied with the performance of his 2012 scrambler (and he's owned 300+ bikes in his time. I sh!t u not)!

To be honest with you, I make a point of hitting the back roads (mostly dirt) at every opportunity and I find long open highway stretches quite boring. I can do that stuff in my suv.

I think you can quite comfortably cruise at 85 with a decent aftermarket screen fitted (like the one on the picture). The small screens don't cut it for long fast rides. I don't have a speedo on my bike as I prefer to just ride according to what's comfortable for me (I like to judge my speed by the wind in my face and the tingling in my sack)! . For me it's about riding a simple bike and just enjoying what I fell in love with on my PW80 back in 1981.

If you're wanting to do long, 'hanging on the cable' interstate rides then I'd say the scrambler isn't for you but you know you want one so just 'do it' and apologise to the wife later.



and another pic just to tempt you some more!

Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #15927
Easy10pins
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 8
On the Scrambler, it looks like you have the New Bonneville running light kit. If it is, how do you like it?

I would like to get rid of the obnoxiously large turn signals and brake light and also have running lights for safer nighttime riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
Easy10pins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #15928
Fredicchino
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Back to France after Shanghai, China
Oddometer: 43
A quick question for all of you Scrambler riders : for someone (me) who's not a technical or mechanical expert (a complete newbie to be exact... ), is it easy to install by myself the following parts on a Scrambler :
- engine dresser bars
- skid plate
- center stand
- Zard 2-1 exhaust

Thanks for your comments !
Fredicchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #15929
Steve SA
Adv Wannabe
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: South Africa
Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy10pins View Post
On the Scrambler, it looks like you have the New Bonneville running light kit. If it is, how do you like it?

I would like to get rid of the obnoxiously large turn signals and brake light and also have running lights for safer nighttime riding.
Easy10pins. The newbonneville.com running light kit is great. Simply plugs straight in and looks fantastic. definately a good buy! If you're leaning in that direction I'd say go that route for sure!
Steve SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #15930
Easy10pins
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve SA View Post
Easy10pins. The newbonneville.com running light kit is great. Simply plugs straight in and looks fantastic. definately a good buy! If you're leaning in that direction I'd say go that route for sure!
Much appreciated the response.
Easy10pins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014