Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #16411
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
I researched Excel rims a few months back. Excel told me they only make silver to fit the scrambler, not black. Do you have any idea what Woody's will charge? I assume you would ship them your OEM hubs and have them laced up.

I bent one rim already and sent it to Buchanan's to be straightened for about $110. I bent it again recently and pounded it out (almost). Then, my buddy told me, "Hey, if you had aluminum rims on that Scrambler the rim would break instead of bend." Any truth to that statement? I know the aluminum is stronger, but I would rather bend than break.
Standard Excels do only seem to come in silver, but Woody's can powder coat the rims before assembling for an additional $150. You can send them your OEM hubs, or also get a set of Talon ones to fit. I'd get a quote direct from Woody's, but you'll be looking at something in the region of $1,100 for a pair of rims, built with 40-count SuperSize SuperLace stainless spokes and nipples. Then there's the powder coating cost and extra if you want the rims sealing for tubeless.

The short travel suspension on the Scram is going to definitely increased the risk of damaging wheels, whether that be cracked or bent. With godawful stock suspension, those chances are dramatically increased, so if you haven't already it makes sense to upgrade the shocks and forks to start with before dropping big bucks on snazzy rims.

If you have already replaced those parts with something good and adjustable and set them up for rough riding, you'll be in the same boat as me. So, I guess we'll find out if anything less than 6" travel results in busted wheels of some description, no matter how good the rims are.

Regardless, I'm going to give it a shot.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #16412
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvscum View Post
There is no information on Woody's web site specific to Triumph Modern Classics.
http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/home.htm

I emailed Woody's about fitting a Scrambler and here's the quote:

"We can lace new black 19 x 2.5, and 17 x 3.5 excel rims to your stock hubs. They will require new spokes, which we can build stronger wheels when we replace them with new ones. The excel rims only come in silver, which we have to strip and re-anodize to make them colors. If you sent in your hubs, we can lace them with new black excel rims, stainless spokes/nipples for $1100 + shipping. We also can seal tube type wheels for tubeless tires, they do have to be 19'' and smaller. We only charge $99 per wheel and they come with a 1 yr. warranty against issues with the seal."

I believe Buchanan's will do black Sun rims with SS spokes for about $1,000 + shipping for the pair. The Buchanan site also only lists Excel rims in silver. I am sure they could re-anodize them black for a fee too. I am seeing some special requirements for the rear spokes listed on the Buchanan site for Modern Classics, including the Scrambler:

http://www.buchananspokes.net/products/spoke_kits_triumph.asp

At the bottom of that page it says for the rear:

"Cast aluminum hub is all inside laced. Slightly smaller diameter on brake side and requires four different spokes. Most stock spokes were 7-8 gauge. These spokes are larger than stock diameter for durability, but will not require hub to be drilled."
Ha! Looks like you just beat me to it!

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #16413
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Standard Excels do only seem to come in silver, but Woody's can powder coat the rims before assembling for an additional $150. You can send them your OEM hubs, or also get a set of Talon ones to fit. I'd get a quote direct from Woody's, but you'll be looking at something in the region of $1,100 for a pair of rims, built with 40-count SuperSize SuperLace stainless spokes and nipples. Then there's the powder coating cost and extra if you want the rims sealing for tubeless.

The short travel suspension on the Scram is going to definitely increased the risk of damaging wheels, whether that be cracked or bent. With godawful stock suspension, those chances are dramatically increased, so if you haven't already it makes sense to upgrade the shocks and forks to start with before dropping big bucks on snazzy rims.

If you have already replaced those parts with something good and adjustable and set them up for rough riding, you'll be in the same boat as me. So, I guess we'll find out if anything less than 6" travel results in busted wheels of some description, no matter how good the rims are.

Regardless, I'm going to give it a shot.
Yes, I already have Bitubo front fork cartridges and YSS rear shocks. They did not help with the bent rims. One more thing on the notes above...

The Scram stock rims are 19 x 2.5 inches, and 17 x 3.5 inches. Both Sun and Excel make the stock rear size, but for the front, it looks like Sun only makes a 19 x 2.75; while Excel makes the stock front size. No biggie, though.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #16414
professorv
ProfessorV

Oddometer: 8
One additional option for rims are complete wheel sets. I got mine from Dubya USA (www.dubyausa.com) for about $1350 shipped from California to Chicago. They're Talon hubs mated to an Excel rim on the rear and a Behr on the front. It'll save you the down time of sending your hubs away and you'll still have your original hubs and rims to do whatever with. I sold mine to recoup some of the cost. Couldn't be happier with the rims and Dubya's service.

professorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #16415
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I got mine for the total of 700USD, 500 for the rims and 200 for the building.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #16416
Texrock
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Henry, nice wheels, where did you get them for $7 hundo?

Also, for those looking for design ideas for their scrambler or Bonnie I stumbled across this bike by Roberto Rossi in Italy.

http://bikeglam.com/triumph-bonnevil...roberto-rossi/

Texrock screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 12:38 AM Reason: Added a link
Texrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #16417
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texrock View Post
Henry, nice wheels, where did you get them for $7 hundo?

Also, for those looking for design ideas for their scrambler or Bonnie I stumbled across this bike by Roberto Rossi in Italy.

http://bikeglam.com/triumph-bonnevil...roberto-rossi/

Hi Texrock, they are spanish morad alloy rims. I got a wheelbuilder to put them togheter for me cheap, as he is retired and basicly do old Triumphs Bsa rebuilding. I also went for a 4.25" inch rear rim, that open a set of Metzler 150 rear tyre. Ps a lot of nice Italien Scramblers out there.

Here is one with the tyre on

Cheers

[/URL]

henryII screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 01:15 AM Reason: add picture
Old 11-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #16418
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post

Here is one with the tyre on

Cheers
What rear fender is that? I like it a lot.
ClineDesign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #16419
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
What rear fender is that? I like it a lot.
Hi it is from Pete Waldram, check out http://www.pjglassfibre.com

[/URL]
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #16420
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Henry, your bike looks tits. Lets see a current full view.
In fact many Scramblers here are looking good.
Nice job gentlemen - the black wheelsets are looking good too.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #16421
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 301
[QUOTE=henryII;20134595]Hi it is from Pete Waldram, check out http://www.pjglassfibre.com

Thanks, I wonder if they'll ship to the colonies and what the cost would be...
ClineDesign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #16422
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
I *might* be a tad biased, but I honestly believe Kriega makes the best gear out there for a variety of reasons. Hopefully, the fact that these shots were taken waaaay before I became the distributor for them in the US, bears that claim out. Paid full price for all of everything! What you see there is essentially the UScombo40 (40 liters is plenty for any weekend ride), used in various different configurations, including - with the help of the optional US Tank adapter - as a tank bag.

I still use precisely the same bags, although I have since upgraded to the new Alloy Hook Strap mounting system and picked up a US-30 Drypack to build bigger combos for longer trips and another US-10 to use up front. Camping gear goes on the rack, everything else on the rear seat and a little 10-liter tank bag up front.

I actually just sold this bike and am in the process of building a new one, for which I'll have some racks fabbed up to accommodate the new Overlander 60 soft pannier system, which will be pretty sweet. That way I can free up some rear seat real estate to take the missus on extended rides... along with a couple of RotopaX fuel cans to make up for the woeful tank range on these splendid machines.

Full spec at www.kriega.us

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael
Quote:
140 IMHO:
  • Larger upright contact patch for most situations
  • More sidewall area for the twisties
  • Looks meaner!
Slimmer tires might be a bit better for cutting through loose / slippery stuff to find traction off-road, and may keep the slim look Triumph wanted for the bike, but I immediately one size up at the front and rear and liked it better.
Thank you for the replies
2008 Triumph Scrambler carbs, tkc80's, made in England!
mindfulness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #16423
Texrock
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Looks good Henry. I wish they shipped to the US. Post a full pic when you get a chance.
Texrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #16424
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Looks good Henry. I wish they shipped to the US. Post a full pic when you get a chance.
Of course he/they ship to the United States, or at least he shipped some stuff to me a couple months ago...
Give them a call.
They're great folks!

TT RDHS screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 09:03 PM
TT RDHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #16425
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sure. I am not happy with the low signal mount, but I relocate them when I am not out with luggage. Kinda scary
when the luggage hide the signal when riding.

[/URL]