Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #16786
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
So this may have been done to death already but what did people get their scramblers for? I'm interested in new prices. I know it depends on the State and local tax but I'm looking at a 2012 floor model and would like a little knowledge. Thanks!
For me, I've always liked the looks of the "Modern Classics" range. I kept going back and forth on models, almost going home with a T100, but liking the price of the Bonneville Black more. And price makes a difference. Eventually wound up buying a '07 Thruxton from a coworker of mine who needed to sell it before buying a Ducati. Liked the bike, but found that my 6'4" body is just too tall for such a small bike. Good for a short commute to work, but after a 3 hour ride, I was so stiff that I couldn't move.

I wanted a bike for longer distances, something that I could spend an entire weekend riding. So I went back to look at the T100's that first interested me, but found a Scrambler at a local dealer. Did some searching online seeing what other people had to say about the bike, and stumbled across this thread. Started reading it, and seeing all the places it went, all the things people forced it to do, and I thought it'd be great! 3 years later, and despite a weird electrical gremlin that keeps plaguing me, I don't see myself ever getting rid of this bike.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #16787
JohnForLife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
Where did you get that bag from? And how did you mount it?
I found a set of bags off ebay used, and just used one. I used the mount from newbonneville.com
JohnForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #16788
tahoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince View Post
Zard Cross dealer in the US?
Hi everyone, been enjoying this thread and just picked up my 2012 flat black Scrambler yesterday! First thing I want to do is add a Zard Cross exhaust. I've heard they're not easy to come by in the US. Does anyone have a good lead on where I can find one (without a month wait - I'm not that patient )? Thanks!

I personally ordered directly from Zard Italy ( their website has a number) they spoke english and send it right away via DHL, no problems and a pleasure to deal with.
Prince
Thanks, Prince! I heard from some others on here that it was taking a month or so direct from Zard. Was thinking there might be a US dealer/website I could check first. I'll give them a try .

Had the bike for one day now and loving it! Just got back from a long ride in 32 degree weather. Couldn't resist.
2004 Moto Guzzi California EVII
tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #16789
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForLife View Post
Thats a Ural, it is a friend I with.
Whoops! Similar look for sure.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #16790
thistle66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFlipper View Post
I was wondering if anyone had seen a good solution to the front fender being mounted so low. (besides snapping it off )? I had a rock ride on the front TKC knobs and try to wedge under the front fender once... Scary for a second. I may just remove the fender for more "serious" back roading.
You can put like 1/4" plastic washers under the fender mounting bolts to raise the fender a little. aussie Dave had a post a few yrs ago & I copied it also on my bike, can't be arsed looking.for the post but look at your fender and sticking plastic washers in.
Doesn't change much tho - like I said, mebbe 1/4" or whatever but it's better than nothing..
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #16791
tvscum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForLife View Post
Here are a few pics of my Scrambler, I blacked out a few things, removed the stock baffles, old style mx bars, black lucas tail light, and a single side bag.

What mx handlebars did you install? Do you have a link? Nice Scram.
'86 Yamaha XT350
tvscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #16792
The Boy Scout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Would love to have some advice.

I never post here, I only read and truly enjoy this Scrambler thread. Anyway, I have gotten rid of my old GS, and what I have currently available is a Military Enfield Bullet and a 2010 Scrambler in that cool "Steve McQueen" green. I can't afford (not even close) to replace the GS with the KTM I eventually hope to get. I bought the Enfield on a whim two years ago, and while I actually ride it quite a bit, I have no desire to take a trip on it. The Scrambler on the other hand I had as a commuter, and have really come to love it. It is bone stock with the exception of the solo seat and bread rack. At least I think of it as a bread rack since I would hesitate to haul much more on it.
I have vacation coming up in May, starting the 10th and extending through Memorial day, having to be back at work on the 28th. What I would like to do is ride south from Northeast Indiana and then run west on two lane, eventually swinging north, and given the time of year I don't know how far, and then head back home.
I have taken some preliminary steps based on what I have read here. I have ordered the Metal Mule pannier frame kit and also the tail rack. I have also ordered the Happy Trails "pucks" and have rounded up two 20mm ammo cans. I'm not saying I can't swing the cash for a set of Happy Trails boxes, since I probably could, and so that is my first question...am I going to be happy with the cans? In addition, are there any other "essential' mods I must make for this trip? I'm happy with the bike as it is, but as I said, I have only used it for short commutes. In addition, if anyone can direct me to route suggestions I would appreciate that too. I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years but have never really taken more than a weekend trip on one. I am a very experienced light weight backpacker though, so I have the camping skills and gear well covered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do realize that almost everything I need to know is probably already somewhere on ADV, but this place is massive.
The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #16793
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Just note that for about the the cost of a 20mm ammo can you can use the Duratool cases, which are bigger and only weigh half as much. Mine were $30/ea plus about $10 for shipping. Ammo cans at my local surplus store would have been $30 each as well but I'd have paid almost $5.40 in tax, so in terms of expense, it's basically a wash. Ammo cans weigh about 20lbs each, Duratool cases are less than 8lbs each.

Duratools look like Pelican cases and like Pelicans, they open from the side. Which makes them easier to load but more likely to drop stuff on the ground if you open them up when they're on the bike.

IIRC the Duratools worked out to about 35L size, while the 20mm ammo can was about 29L.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #16794
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneoPomfretti View Post
I have ordered the Metal Mule pannier frame kit and also the tail rack. I have also ordered the Happy Trails "pucks" and have rounded up two 20mm ammo cans. I'm not saying I can't swing the cash for a set of Happy Trails boxes, since I probably could, and so that is my first question...am I going to be happy with the cans?
Which HT pucks are you getting to fit the MM side racks? I think HT had ones that fit 3 different diameter tubing. I think you might like the Duratool boxes better as they as so much lighter. I've use Pelicans on a KLR before and thought they were great - those were very tough cases.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #16795
The Boy Scout
Adventurer

I had to contact Metal Mule's USA distributor to get the size. The tube size was metric, but the 3/4 pucks will be very, very close. As I understand it, the Metal Mule tube is between 18.4-18.5mm due to variations in the powder coat.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #16796
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
There aren't many other choices for hard racks for the Scramblers, I'm thinking only Metal Mule makes them. They look to be a quality set-up - although they cost a lot. Let us know how they turn out and maybe some pics when you get everything set-up. There is real good documentation of putting them on a Scrambler - within the last few pages of this thread or out on TRat.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #16797
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 421
Got a couple of things done today on my Scram. New shoes mounted. (TKC80) UpnOver caliper relocation installed and started on my double headlight screen protection. Rear fender delete coming up and raising the front fender a bit along with some suspension changes.

Graniteone screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 09:08 PM
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #16798
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Looking good.

The TKCs are great on my scrambler.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #16799
The Boy Scout
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
There aren't many other choices for hard racks for the Scramblers, I'm thinking only Metal Mule makes them. They look to be a quality set-up - although they cost a lot. Let us know how they turn out and maybe some pics when you get everything set-up. There is real good documentation of putting them on a Scrambler - within the last few pages of this thread or out on TRat.
That was an excellent installation post by ZappBranigan, thank-you for calling it to my attention. His installation looks plenty solid, which eases my mind...just a little...about spending 600 bucks for those frames, which as I understand it are being shipped from the UK on special order.

I took a long hard look at the Duratool and Pellican boxes, but I am pretty sure I want top loaders this time around. Really just a personal preference based on struggling with the side loaders I had on the GS for so many years. Metal Mule are just too expensive, Happy Trails are also expensive, but less so. Apparently Bernd Tesch offers a seriously strong set, listed on his German website, but it doesn't appear there is any place to purchase them in the US. I also looked at the ALPOS, used in that awesome post about the Iran ride (I can't tell you how much I enjoyed those pictures) but once again, they have to be imported for lack of a US vendor, and some of the UK posts I have read down-rate them as too thin and not durable, especially the top case apparently, which even on the Iran ride appears to have been abandoned at some point. Slowly coming to the conclusion that the ammo boxes will be just too heavy, I'm a big guy already.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #16800
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorneoPomfretti View Post
That was an excellent installation post by ZappBranigan, thank-you for calling it to my attention. His installation looks plenty solid, which eases my mind...just a little...about spending 600 bucks for those frames, which as I understand it are being shipped from the UK on special order.

I took a long hard look at the Duratool and Pellican boxes, but I am pretty sure I want top loaders this time around. Really just a personal preference based on struggling with the side loaders I had on the GS for so many years. Metal Mule are just too expensive, Happy Trails are also expensive, but less so. Apparently Bernd Tesch offers a seriously strong set, listed on his German website, but it doesn't appear there is any place to purchase them in the US. I also looked at the ALPOS, used in that awesome post about the Iran ride (I can't tell you how much I enjoyed those pictures) but once again, they have to be imported for lack of a US vendor, and some of the UK posts I have read down-rate them as too thin and not durable, especially the top case apparently, which even on the Iran ride appears to have been abandoned at some point. Slowly coming to the conclusion that the ammo boxes will be just too heavy, I'm a big guy already.
I picked mine up from the other US distributor, EuroCycleGear.com. They charge the same $500 price that you'd pay if you were buying direct from MetalMule. Shipping was only about $25 bucks for 2-day delivery, IIRC. Shipped in about a week of my ordering them. Here's a link:

http://www.eurocyclesgear.com/Metal_...036-022-59.htm

And for luggage, Kriega's Overlander 60 is an excellent softbag setup that works perfect with the MM racks. Only weighs about 6lbs per side. See my post a few pages back for pics. Even when they're loaded, the bike still feels as light and nimble as ever. With the ammo cans, it felt fat, heavy, and slow.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote