Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #17251
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
Makis
Rubber looks good, as does the bike.

Im due for a new rear pretty soon, how do you find the TKCs on tarmac?
I haven't had the chance to do a long ride on them yet, but I did take it out for an afternoon. So far I really like them. They handle great, nothing weird at all.
Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #17252
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
Here mine, in Turkey
Enjoy your stay - I´ve spent 5 years working in Turkey & driving Aprilia Caponord. Great country, great bike. Today I cannot imagine myself havig my Scrambler then - the distances are just too long, petrol stations not frequent in the countryside and the luggage options too limited. But your red frame looks terrific with the red flag in the background!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #17253
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,334
Quote:
Makis

I've done quite a few miles on TKC80s and they're very good in the dry but be careful in the wet as they can drift a bit.
They got me to Italy and Slovenia a few years ago.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #17254
Dethrok
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 25
Blew Fuse installing NewBonneville turn signals.

Ok, so I bought the plug/play NewBonneville Kit a few weeks back and just got around to installing it last night.

Did the rear set first, and it went great. Everything as is (it should be, its a single plug).

Doing the front turn signals I somehow blew it. Plugined in right side and things were fine. Plugged in left and then it buzzed quickly and blew the fuse.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? No horn, no signals and no brake light (the running light works).

I pulled out the fuse for the signals I burnt (#7) and put a new fuse in and it did the same thing as before - buzzed quickly and then blew.

A few Questions:

1. Can I just get some 10 fuses anywhere and replace it?
2. I assume the fuse is protecting my electrical system from whatever I did. Right?
3. I think I work backwards and see if I can fix it by removing one signal at a time from the system. This seem wise?

Your thoughts would be helpful as I've gota big trip this weekend and I"m kinda pissed I pulled this on myself just before. Thanks.
Dethrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #17255
Jim_C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have my scram posted for sale in the classifieds.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876157
Jim_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #17256
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethrok View Post
A few Questions:

1. Can I just get some 10 fuses anywhere and replace it?
2. I assume the fuse is protecting my electrical system from whatever I did. Right?
3. I think I work backwards and see if I can fix it by removing one signal at a time from the system. This seem wise?
1. Yes, just don't up-rate the fuse (don't replace a 10amp fuse with a 15amp)

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

BTW, are these incandescent bulbs or LED?
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #17257
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makis54 View Post
Nice bike Makis
What do you think of thé Zard, not too noisy?
What did you do with the tachometer? A few pics more please

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #17258
Grumdrig
Armchair pilot

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makis54 View Post
Looks great! What's that seat?
Grumdrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #17259
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I've done quite a few miles on TKC80s and they're very good in the dry but be careful in the wet as they can drift a bit.
They got me to Italy and Slovenia a few years ago.
Cheers Blacky
FLICKR
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #17260
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Makis

I ran TKCs on my Scrambler as well. They work amazingly well on tarmac for a knobbie. I would regularly drag pegs while running TKCs. You're a bit apprehensive at first because your head tells you a knobbie shouldn't grip like they do, but you just start trusting them a bit more and pretty soon you're leaned over as far as the bike will go.

All that goes out the window in the wet though, they were never scary in the rain but I never pushed them in the rain either, there's only so much rubber hitting the pavement. For dirt and dry roads I don't think there's a better tire.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #17261
Dethrok
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
1. Yes, just don't up-rate the fuse (don't replace a 10amp fuse with a 15amp)

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

BTW, are these incandescent bulbs or LED?
Incandescent, methinks.

http://newbonneville.com/html/comple...light_kit.html
Dethrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #17262
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Scrambler 1000 Mile Review

I thought I'd do a little write up for the lurkers that are perusing this thread with interest in purchasing a scrambler. Just looking to give some insight on some of the questions that I had before I bought mine. As you know, some questions are best answered by finding out for yourself.

First off, I lusted over a scrambler for a year before I made my purchase this past January. I spent many a day looking at pics, YouTube videos and daydreaming before I couldn't take it any longer and bought one.

I have to admit, on that first ride home the only thing I was thinking was damn, I made an expensive mistake! One of those bikes that is better to ride in your mind rather than in real life but...I refused to believe that, this was supposed to be my dream bike.

Coming from my Sprint 1050, the power of the scrambler was quite underwhelming and yawn inducing. However, I was determined to like this bike so I "forced" myself to ride it, a lot, and...it worked!

As the miles rolled by I started to feel a bond like I've never felt with any past bikes. The scrambler began to talk to me, well whisper anyway. It coaxed me into riding farther, taking roads I've never taken before including dirt. It brought out the BMX kid in me, saying "go jump that little hill, I can do it", "slide around that corner and splash through that creek, it'll be fun!" And so I did all of the above and it has been fun.

So much so that the Sprint has been relegated to collecting dust in the garage. The Sprint has great acceleration but that's about it. I grab the scrams keys every day. I was adament that I would not sell my Sprint as I didn't think the scram could possibly be an only bike but boy was I wrong. So wrong that I am now contemplating selling my Sprint to finance scrambler accessories.

I just cleared 1000 miles this weekend and am incredibly emotionally attached to this bike. It does nothing great but everything well and you can make it what you want. Kinda like the VW bug of motorcycles and I'm a huge VW nut. I spent all last weekend on the scram. Grinning while I was mixing it up in the woods with my friend on his WR250, getting misty eyed smiles as I was taking highway sweepers at 75mph two up with the wife on the back and embarrassing guys in the local RAT club through the twisties. All in one weekend. This never happened on any of my other bikes.

The acceleration may not be Sprint like but since the engine break in it is definitely enjoyable and will be more so once the arrow is installed. It is a great two up bike, my wife and I are 320 lbs combined and the bike never hiccups. The wife actually hates the Sprint but loves the scram. I'm going to get the king and queen seat for longer two up ventures though.

All in all, the scram truly is a do it all Swiss Army knife of bikes and looks good doing whatever you ask of it. I cruise, commute, dirt ride and act like a hooligan on it and I plan on a track day or two because I can. After all of the initial apprehension, the scram turned out to be the perfect bike for 98 percent of my riding...it will do the other 2 percent just a little slower and a little less comfortable than the Sprint. Now, mind you I am not a seriously fast or competitive rider so as always YMMV! :)
2T2_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #17263
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Check all the obvious: tire pressures, spokes, wheel bearings, steering head bearings. How are your tires? If its never done it before, maybe it's just worn out tires. Good luck.
The tires only had about 2000 miles on them and were maybe 5 months old. But I did some more experimentation, and came to the conclusion that it was due to how I had my garment bag strapped to the bike. Aerodynamically off center, one side acting more like a parasail than the other. 2x speed = 4x drag, and at 85mph, it was enough to unstable the bike. Remove the bag completely, or just readjust it, and the bike will speed all the way to 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
If you haven't done my fork oil mod then do it before doing anything else. It allows the forks to absorb bumps rather than launching the wheel off them which, IMO, was the reason for instability.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3560
I'll have to look into that, if only for general comfort. The bike can definitely be a bit stiff, more so after 12 hours in the saddle.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #17264
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
The tires only had about 2000 miles on them and were maybe 5 months old. But I did some more experimentation, and came to the conclusion that it was due to how I had my garment bag strapped to the bike. Aerodynamically off center, one side acting more like a parasail than the other. 2x speed = 4x drag, and at 85mph, it was enough to unstable the bike. Remove the bag completely, or just readjust it, and the bike will speed all the way to 100

I'll have to look into that, if only for general comfort. The bike can definitely be a bit stiff, more so after 12 hours in the saddle.
Glad you got it sorted. The hard bags on my wife's F650GS would make that thing squirm on the highway at anything over 65mph, felt like you were riding on loose gravel.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #17265
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2T2_Ryder View Post
Srambler 1000 Mile Review
Well said pretty much how I feel about mine.

I pulled my Dakar out of the shed for the first time in 6 mths on the weekend for a 600km ride.

If I had a decent luggage solution I would have got the scram key
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote