Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #17281
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
Ist that North Cascades Highway?
Most definitely. One of my favorite rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolves View Post
WOW, what a shot! Looks a little bit like HEAVEN to me!!!!
And yes, it's a beautiful part of the country.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #17282
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolves View Post
Got any pics in the daylight?
Just went out to take some

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
RicoAJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #17283
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
After weeks of searching, with help from a fellow inmate.. I became the proud new owner of an '09 Scrambler!! I'm in love, was smiling all the way home. Sometime this weekend I plan to return the forks to stock configuration and put on the stock handlebars. That said, this cafe style does look pretty good.. Maybe i'll keep it this way till I find some nice gravel around
[IMG][/IMG]
Glad to see your second deal worked out! I'll be hitting the K&P Trail west of Ottawa this weekend if you want to break it in.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #17284
mindfulness
more ride less worry

Oddometer: 766
Ammo can help

where should I get an ammo can?

What size works well on scramblers? Going to be doing some moto camping and 2-3 day trips with a pair of ortlieb dry bags but would like one ammo can. Want to get an ammo can and fit to an MC Resources Mount - where online have people bought these from? I don't want to run around to every army surplus shop trying to locate what I need... Appreciate the help, thanks.
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 evo sp
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #17285
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 82
[QUOTE=Simon T;21307944]Been out for the first decent ride of the year....here's a couple of pics ....nearly done the mods I want

Hey Simon
The bikes looking good plus the suns shining! A double whammy.

I particularly like your blinkers, what make are they?
FLICKR
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #17286
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon T View Post
Been out for the first decent ride of the year....here's a couple of pics ....nearly done the mods I want

IMG_0213 by Simon Tee, on Flickr

IMG_0202 by Simon Tee, on Flickr

IMG_0207 by Simon Tee, on Flickr
I'm sure it's been asked already, but what handlebar is that? It looks perfect on that bike.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #17287
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 188
Fully loaded

Ammo cans are heavy with annoying lids I use a 50 cal box to keep my ammo even with a couple of CDs in it it's way to heavy. The mc resource bracket is pretty weak I have a kolpin Jerry can mounted on mine and it looks in need of extra support.The surplus stores or mining supply shops have cool cases. Maybe one could get a pelican case in army colors or some other lighter weight ammo case .
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #17288
Boston813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
This thread has been great for the last few years and I have enjoyed the great info and photos but it is time for me to move on so if any one is looking for a scrambler of there own I have put mine up for sale in the Flee Market.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=883785
Boston813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #17289
Simon T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
[QUOTE=ajsimmo;21311511]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon T View Post
Been out for the first decent ride of the year....here's a couple of pics ....nearly done the mods I want

Hey Simon
The bikes looking good plus the suns shining! A double whammy.

I particularly like your blinkers, what make are they?
Thanks Simmo....they are a generic "Metal Chrome Bullet Style"....I got them from PJ Glass Fibre where I also got the short mudguard kit....I think you may have mentioned them previously......they are good quality too

http://www.pjglassfibre.com/ViewItem.php

The only problem with Pete is his website takes ages to load! I actually went to Derby to pick them up and he is a real enthusiast for Triumph and a good bloke all round
Simon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #17290
Simon T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I'm sure it's been asked already, but what handlebar is that? It looks perfect on that bike.
Thanks McJamie......actually you are the first to ask as this is the first time I have posted any pics!
I got them off ebay for about 35 from GPM classics...officially known as

YAMAHA HANDLEBARS CHROME CLASSIC TWINSHOCK VMX VINTAGE MOTOCROSS TRAIL ENDURO

Vintage Bars by Simon Tee, on Flickr

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-HAN...20991387265%26

There is a slightly wider set also but I think they would be too wide.
Simon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #17291
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2T2_Ryder View Post
I thought I'd do a little write up for the lurkers that are perusing this thread with interest in purchasing a scrambler.
As the miles rolled by I started to feel a bond like I've never felt with any past bikes. The scrambler began to talk to me, well whisper anyway. It coaxed me into riding farther, taking roads I've never taken before including dirt. It brought out the BMX kid in me, saying "go jump that little hill, I can do it", "slide around that corner and splash through that creek, it'll be fun!" And so I did all of the above and it has been fun.

So much so that the Sprint has been relegated to collecting dust in the garage. The Sprint has great acceleration but that's about it. I grab the scrams keys every day.
All in all, the scram truly is a do it all Swiss Army knife of bikes and looks good doing whatever you ask of it. I cruise, commute, dirt ride and act like a hooligan on it and I plan on a track day or two because I can. After all of the initial apprehension, the scram turned out to be the perfect bike for 98 percent of my riding...
Awesome write up. I just did a few long days with mine. 500 miles in 12 hours, on twisty back roads, then another 700 miles of interstate in pouring rain. The bike never skipped a beat and would've made it in one go. But I was cold, and wet, and had to pull I to a hotel for the night. So much for rain gear.

I had a fairing, and some hand guards sitting in my closet at home, but the feeling you get from the bike when it's naked, is more pure. In hindsight, I still would've done that bit in the rain without those things. I was smiling, singing to whatever random songs popped into my head. physically, i was miserable. Mentally, emotionally, I was having a blast. The scrambler connects you with the elements, and lets you have fun while doing it.

The Jeep community has a saying: "You wouldn't understand, it's a Jeep thing." Explaining the scrambler to others is the same way. On paper, it's underpowered and too heavy. Suspension is too stiff and short. Other bikes are better at one thing, another, or everything. Etc, etc, etc. The scrambler is a different kind of bike and its most important trait is one that can't be put on paper: smile factor. Motorcycles may just be machines, but the scrambler has a soul.

You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing...
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #17292
badlittlerobots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Guys can I get your opinion on this?

I have a 2013 Scrambler that is still in the break in period. It only has about 85 miles on it so far. At the front of the exhaust pipes coming off the engine they are already heavily stained blue and yellow. I know this happens when things are running hot. Is this something to worry about?

Forgive me if this is something simple but this is my first bike ;)

badlittlerobots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #17293
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlittlerobots View Post

I have a 2013 Scrambler that is still in the break in period. It only has about 85 miles on it so far. At the front of the exhaust pipes coming off the engine they are already heavily stained blue and yellow. I know this happens when things are running hot. Is this something to worry about?

Nope, the bluing of the pipes is perfectly normal on these pipes. And by normal, I mean that's standard and it'd be weird if your headers weren't starting to turn. IIRC, it's mostly due to the factory air injection system recirculating spent exhaust gasses back into the engine, making the bike run slightly lean, and thus a little hotter. It's one of the main reasons people remove the AIS (along with providing easier access to spark plugs.) One of those things Triumph did for emissions reasons, and doesn't hurt the bike one way or the other.

Now that they've started to turn, there's really no going back. I know some people have had the pipes chrome plated, to restore the factory fresh look, while others wrap them in header tape for a more old-school look. Me, I like the bluing: makes the bike look like it's been ridden.
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #17294
JoHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlittlerobots View Post

Welcome!
The simple answer: "They all do that, Sir."
Its normal behaviour. Something to do with cold air flowing over the hot pipes, but Im no expert in this topic (either).
00 XR650R
DOD#2500
JoHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #17295
Makis54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
Nice bike Makis
What do you think of th Zard, not too noisy?
What did you do with the tachometer? A few pics more please
I love the Zard. It is louder than stock, but I don't think it's too loud. Mine didn't come with a tach, but I did mount a mini speedo in the headlight bucket.

Makis54 is offline   Reply With Quote