User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #17356
fotopat
Pat / Cleveland, OH

Oddometer: 105
Single Saddlebag for my 2012 Scrambler

Was finally able to locate and mount a single saddlebag for the left side of my Scrambler - I used the left half of River Road's Model: Classic Quick-Release Compact bags. I was able to buy the saddlebag bracket only from the Triumph single saddlebag kit that had previously been available for the Scramblers - then a visit to the local leather shop to fabricate some straps that attach to the frame under the seat and I'm in business. I like the look and though I was afraid the bike would look awkward with only one bag, it actually is nicely balanced visually by the high pipes on the right. The bag is "pleather" - not real leather - but comes with a nylon rain cover and is large enough to hold some rain gear and a small tool kit without being too large. The bag measures 15.5" W x 10" H x 5" D, and comes with an interior removable liner as well as the rain cover.

I have the right side bag available if anyone else is interested - will let it go for my cost ($60) plus shipping - only problem would be that the extra pocket on the outside of the bag (at the rear of the bag as shown on my bag) would be on the front and might interfere with a passengers left leg. PM me if interested and I'll share the details.

photos on shutterfly

photos on flickr

photos on panoramio

photos on SmugMug

fotopat on facebook
fotopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #17357
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Bafflectomie

Just to say that I'done the bafflectomie last week. The sound is now perfect to me, not as loud as with the TOR's, but enough for the cars to hear me.

And to show you my new signature.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #17358
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Yep...already been done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFlipper View Post
Great video though!
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #17359
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post
Just to say that I'done the bafflectomie last week. The sound is now perfect to me, not as loud as with the TOR's, but enough for the cars to hear me.

Good to hear the baffectomy worked out. The TOR's you dropped off are still in Lorrach as I haven't had a chance to pick them up.
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #17360
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,057
I have the same bags on my '79 Suzuki GS550. They fit the style of the bike very well. They will melt though so be careful if you decide to drop it off the other side with just number plate for protection.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #17361
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
Enjoy your stay - Iīve spent 5 years working in Turkey & driving Aprilia Caponord. Great country, great bike. Today I cannot imagine myself havig my Scrambler then - the distances are just too long, petrol stations not frequent in the countryside and the luggage options too limited. But your red frame looks terrific with the red flag in the background!
Hi Satcen... just come back at home: over 7.000 km in Turkey, refuelling each 200km (more or less), no problem with gas station anywhere ;)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...75&postcount=1
Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #17362
tricky P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
Hi Satcen... just come back at home: over 7.000 km in Turkey, refuelling each 200km (more or less), no problem with gas station anywhere ;)

nice looking scrambler. How do you like those badges?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #17363
Manray
Killing Time

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post

Turkey is such a beautiful country especially on a Scram.....Thanks for sharing!!
Manray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #17364
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky P View Post
nice looking scrambler. How do you like those badges?
You can find them on www.worldoftriumph.com ;)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #17365
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romabuk View Post
I'm powder coating my scramblers clutch cover (and other parts). Thought I would also replace the 3 roller bearings inside after(one for gear shifter, 2 for clutch mechanism). Local dealer states the bearings can't be pulled with out damaging the clutch cover. They also say the oven temperature or the residue from sand blasting will fail the bearings. They want me to buy new covers. I can order the bearings, so if they can sell the bearings they must be removable.

The obvious is to clean the bearings inside the cover best I can and re-use.

But;
I can't believe these bearings can't be removed. Must be a trick or special tool.
Does any inmate know?
- Powder coating temperatures should not harm a bearing that doesn't have rubber seals.
- Some bead-blasing materials will damage bearings but...you should be able to mask the surfaces enough to keep the material out.
- If the bearings are left in, they should be cleaned of all grease prior to powder coating and then re-greased before assembly..
- You can pull a blind bearing with a special tool and slide hammer: http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-h...ler-95987.html
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #17366
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manray View Post
Good to hear the baffectomy worked out. The TOR's you dropped off are still in Lorrach as I haven't had a chance to pick them up.
Oh oh, tell me when you come to Europe, perhaps a chance to meet.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #17367
Dethrok
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 25
Scram Ride

So I spent last week in Utah on my Scrambler and figured Iíd go over the experience and a few lessons learned.

I bought my 2010 black Scrambler in February for I90 Cycles in Issaquah. They were great to work with and I was lucky to get some $$ off the bike as it was a few years old. Iíve digesting most of this gargantuan thread and was pretty excited to spend some time on the bike outside my daily 60 mile round trip commute.

Iím new to bikes (having last owned and ridden a Honda Nitehawk in the 80s) and was looking forward to spending some time camping/touring around. Normally I take my VW camper van down and camp around Moab for a few days each spring/fall, but this year I concocted a different plan that involved me, my Scrambler and little else.

I trucked the bike down to Provo, UT and then headed for Moab. The ride is about 3 hours total, and I left at about 7:30 knowing that Iíd be in darkness for some of the ride. I was.

I refilled in Wellington and made it to just north of Moab at 10:30. The road was dark and I can see why people donít speak highly of the headlamp on the bike Ė it really wasnít enough for safely see. Iíll have to look into some aux LED lights soon if I wanna ride at night (which I normally donít do much of). it was dark. Pee Wee Herman abandoned on a desolate road dark.

Anyhow, Iím a SUL backpacker (meaning I can backpack for a week with a pack and all contents besides consumables coming in under 5 lbs) and that experience led me to have little trouble fitting everything in the two 1430 cases I bought from a fellow inmate. '

I took a small tent, cot, chair, sleeping bag, small butane cook kit, laptop, ipad and a few other small things. The weight just wasnít that bad and I didnít really notice any effect on the handling.

I think I averaged 52 mpg on the ride down.
I camped for a few days out near the Klondike Bluffs area north of Moab and got rained on a few times while there.
A few lessons:
1. Light. Need more. As mentioned. Probably going to mount some twisted throttle denalis to the side of the headlight bucket.
2. I have a stock bonnie seat on there Ė and it was iffy for comfort after about 2 hours. I modded the seat to work with a rear rack setup I bought from Rotorwash79 (thanks dude) and Iíll probably do the same to the stock plank seat.
3. I was surprised at how tired I got riding Ė I spend hours on a mountain bike/road bike, but fighting that wind was tiring. I installed a SlipStream windscreen and that sure helps (I also have the Dart screen, but found buffeting on the helmet was annoying).
4. Earplugs. Probably need them. My bell full face helmet is freaking loud Ė not sure if that is par for the course or there are better things out there. Newbie buy for looks. Iíve got a lot to learn.
5. Rode thru rain and sun and clouds Ė my Tourmaster jacket/pants worked great at keeping me dry.
6. Rode down a nasty wet clay road and fishtailed some Ė scared me as that 450 lb bike is more work to keep upright than my 30 lb mountain bike. Newbie time.
7. My speedometer is off by 10 mph. Wow. Seems like a lot. Wonder if I can get that adjusted?
8. Deathwings were fine on the road. A bit squirrelly in the gravel and a lot so in the mud (as mentioned).
9. Loved the side racks and the 1430 cases. Donít need more space really.

Had lots of fun, loved the trip and put on about 800 miles over a week. Needed a bit more clothing than I brought due to the rain and cold I ran into (Its may in Moab, shouldíve been hot!).
I didnít do too much offroading besides driving to my campsite etc. But I did ride the very easy Gemini Bridges trail on the last day for the heck of it. I donít expect to do much offroading, but this was easy and fun. First time Iíve done it with a motor.

Fun was had by all.

On my way home, I stopped for burgers at Rays in Green River (now you know, the place to stop). Ran into this dude with a homemade rig that he'd been riding for 13 years all over the US. He was thin, wiry and tough. That rig weighs 600 lbs total.

He'd never had kids, a wife or a phone bill and loved to tell you all about it. Just wandering around getting harassed by troopers when on the interstates. Interesting guy and one that certainly makes the world more interesting.
Dethrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #17368
Thrash Unreal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Finally got one

After 10 months of research and lurking on this thread while in Afghanistan, and searching for used Scramblers, I finally bought my 2013 Scrambler today in Matte Graphite.

Picked her up from Ray Price Triumph in Raleigh, NC, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a bike.

Will upload a picture tomorrow after work, but already ordered the following parts and will be installing them as they come in:

Arrow 2-1 Exhaust
Progressive 970 piggyback shocks
RaceTech .85 front springs
Headlight grill
Engine bars
Bashplate
Black brake fluid reservoir cup
British Customs airbox removal kit w/ secondary air injection plug kit

Plan on having a new seat pan with custom seat built in the next week or two, as well as having a rear grab rail welded on to close the rear end up. Also bracing up the gap in the engine dresser bars.

Powdercoating everything that isn't black yet and looking for a good deal on a set of all black Excel rims w/ black spokes.

Will post as I go.
Thrash Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #17369
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseur View Post

I'm glad you like the bafflectomy. At highway speeds I wish it was a little louder, but cruising around town I think it sounds perfect.

And I like your sig, not that I'm biased or anything
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #17370
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Unreal View Post
After 10 months of research and lurking on this thread while in Afghanistan, and searching for used Scramblers, I finally bought my 2013 Scrambler today in Matte Graphite.

Picked her up from Ray Price Triumph in Raleigh, NC, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a bike.

Will upload a picture tomorrow after work, but already ordered the following parts and will be installing them as they come in:

Arrow 2-1 Exhaust
Progressive 970 piggyback shocks
RaceTech .85 front springs
Headlight grill
Engine bars
Bashplate
Black brake fluid reservoir cup
British Customs airbox removal kit w/ secondary air injection plug kit

Plan on having a new seat pan with custom seat built in the next week or two, as well as having a rear grab rail welded on to close the rear end up. Also bracing up the gap in the engine dresser bars.

Powdercoating everything that isn't black yet and looking for a good deal on a set of all black Excel rims w/ black spokes.

Will post as I go.

Wow, you are doing it right! Congrats.

Dethrok, thanks for the awesome pics and ride report
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote