Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #17401
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate View Post
Entertaining Scrambler commercial. Is that the stock headlight? It looks like it works better than mine.
Yeah - bone stock US-spec, except for the Arrow can. Reckon it was probably just the grainy monochrome effect that made it stand out a bit. I found just popping in a decent H4 bulb helped a lot on mine, but that was a UK bike, and I believe they have a slightly better lens in em.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #17402
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola View Post
I tried to order one here in UK when I ordered my single seat/rack last Oct/Nov (2012) - my Triumph dealer told me at that time that they were showing as DISCONTINUED on Triumph UK parts/accessories system.

So, in UK at least, it appears that Triumph have probably discontinued them.

I've heard talk of European Union legislation aiming to prevent vehicle manufacturers selling products that require or enable ECU mapping modifications - so could perhaps be that Triumph have discontinued their Triumph branded Arrow 2-1 exhaust for Scrambler in UK/Europe for that reason.
Rest of World? Who knows - perhaps on backorders until a viable sized batch is ready to put out on order with Arrow.

YMMV.
My dealer confirmed this. New rules no mapping, the new Street triple is from setup with runthru mapping from factory. Guess it will be the new trend..

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #17403
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola View Post
I tried to order one here in UK when I ordered my single seat/rack last Oct/Nov (2012) - my Triumph dealer told me at that time that they were showing as DISCONTINUED on Triumph UK parts/accessories system.

So, in UK at least, it appears that Triumph have probably discontinued them.

I've heard talk of European Union legislation aiming to prevent vehicle manufacturers selling products that require or enable ECU mapping modifications - so could perhaps be that Triumph have discontinued their Triumph branded Arrow 2-1 exhaust for Scrambler in UK/Europe for that reason.
Rest of World? Who knows - perhaps on backorders until a viable sized batch is ready to put out on order with Arrow.

YMMV.
My dealer confirmed this. New rules no mapping, the new Street triple is setup with runthru mapping from factory. Guess it will be the new trend..

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #17404
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
My dealer confirmed this. New rules no mapping, the new Street triple is setup with runthru mapping from factory. Guess it will be the new trend..
Reminds mi the signposts in occupied Berlin before 89: "You are leaving American sector" ... there should be another signpost on the Schengen borders now: "Youre leaving free world, welcome in Europe". Very pathetic. Who can ever return Europe back to its citizens a why should you in NO be punnished for EU hypocracy... ? Ive spent 18 years living behind the iron courtain and I have developed very sensitive radar to detect any sign of totalitarianism. You guys cannot imagine how much do Bussels decisions resemble orders comming from Moscow Sad but true.
Well I got carried away, it is supposed to be a riding forum. So here is the moral: one should have the FREEDOM OF CHOICE to select the exhaust. OMG, its just spare part for a bike, not a weapon of mass destruiction

I apologize for my personal views. I like bikes. Loving bikes means loving freedom, IMHO

Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #17405
Simon T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
Reminds mi the signposts in occupied Berlin before 89: "You are leaving American sector" ... there should be another signpost on the Schengen borders now: "Youre leaving free world, welcome in Europe". Very pathetic. Who can ever return Europe back to its citizens a why should you in NO be punnished for EU hypocracy... ? Ive spent 18 years living behind the iron courtain and I have developed very sensitive radar to detect any sign of totalitarianism. You guys cannot imagine how much do Bussels decisions resemble orders comming from Moscow Sad but true.
Well I got carried away, it is supposed to be a riding forum. So here is the moral: one should have the FREEDOM OF CHOICE to select the exhaust. OMG, its just spare part for a bike, not a weapon of mass destruiction

I apologize for my personal views. I like bikes. Loving bikes means loving freedom, IMHO

Amen to that Satcen......we have senior police officers in the UK that actually want bikes banned....let alone modified bikes!!!!
Simon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #17406
greywolves
Too OLD to be a NOOB

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
And if I did, I'd wrap the pipes without hesitation. In fact I'd wrap the pipes AND the mufflers, then handlebars, the headlight. I'd recover my seat in it. Fuck, I'd even wrap my boots and helmet, Then I'd take the left overs and make a wallet and give it to my best-friend's wife - just to make a point.
NICE! I like where you're going with this!
greywolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #17407
strafkommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Running hot!

Hey fellas I could use a touch of advice/guidance from you. I bought an all stock except AI removed 2006 recently with low miles and fairly blue headers.

I have since put 1300 miles on the bike and about four hundred miles ago I took the snorkel off and threw on a polaris bellmouth but am still using the stock paper filter. I was going to to a bafflectomy the other day but realized I needed an extension for my hole saw so I punched 4 holes in the first restrictor plate but left the baffle in for now. I have done nothing to the carb as of yet.

I know the scramblers run a little hot and that they are set up lean from the start. Newbonneville is out of the D Screw tools, so I am waiting on a restock.

I understand I've introduced more airflow into a lean running bike....in the last 400 miles my right header has turned a very deep blue with almost purple spots and the bike is running very hot after a long trip. When you pull up to a light after a long ride the throttle is hanging up and staying high for a good 15 seconds before it settles back down. And of course I have some slight flat spots now in throttle response with more airflow but the same fuel.

How much of this is normal scrambler behavior and how much of it have i made worse by introducing more airflow?? Should I take off the bellmouth and put back on the snorkel until I can rejet or at least adjust the idle mixture screw?? Im worried about overheating and hurting my engine. Any advice would help.
strafkommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #17408
Thrash Unreal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Finally had a chance to take the new bike out Scrambling today with my buddy who bought one with me. We had a blast tearing around on the firebreak roads on the backside of post, but definitely found out a few things (I already knew them from reading this forum, but being stubborn I had to find out for my self).

1. The tires must go. TKC80s are on their way. We slipped and slid on just about every terrain we encountered to include sand, gravel, pinestraw, and pretty much everything else.

2. The bikes are heavy. There is no way around that. Lightening up via new parts will be a priority. Also, having the seat scooped out a bit to get me about an 1" closer to the ground will give me a little more of a warm and fuzzy when I need to put the feet down.

3. The stock pipes are terrible. I knew that and ordered an Arrow system the day I bought the bike. After riding it for a week, I am considering canceling the Arrow and going with a low exhaust. I know people cringe when they hear about low pipes on Scramblers, but it seems to make sense to me. The pipes are hot up high and they prevent you from being able to get a good "squeeze" on the tank when negotiating trails standing on the pegs. I was initially worried about the clearance issue or banging the exhaust up, but I found out today that happens with the high exhaust if you drop it on the right side (the bike is fine, sand is forgiving). Also, there are plenty or original desert bikes and "Scramblers" that had low pipes. Not to mention one of the guys from The Great Escape Blog rode all the way across Australia on a Scrambler with a low dual exhaust setup, and he rode hard through every terrain imaginable.

I am still undecided, so I would appreciate any input and advice.

And of course, here are some pics of my buddy and I "breaking in" the new Scrams. And yes, I know that helmet makes me look like Marvin the Martian (I'm wearing gray), but I loaned out one 3/4 helmet and am still waiting for my new one to arrive.

Thrash Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #17409
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,602
Put a couple of black stripes down the tank, at least a 10 HP improvement . Trying to keep the tangerine color since it was a little unusual, kind of like the bright neon green ones. Still need to do something with the fenders.

Sod Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #17410
dirty savage
n00b

Oddometer: 2
love this bike!

Thrash Unreal,

Yes, they may be a bit heavier, but save your money and buy the D&D slip-ons (and mapping) for half the cost and they sound better in my opinion. I spent all winter ripping around on my KX 250 on the local tracks and recreational areas so my offroad capabilities are better than they have been in a while. With that being said, I recently took the Scrambler out to beat on her a bit on some very rugged firebreaks. If you drop the tire pressure down considerably, the bike will handle and grab a whole lot better. I’m running stock tires and suspension at the moment and she did just fine. Don’t expect it to be a dirt bike and you may want to stay off the very loose and/or rocky stuff on steep hills with this thing. On a side note, I did smoke the hell out my two buddies on their overpriced BMW GSAs.

I immediately tossed the mirrors and turn signals…and taillight. I understand Triumph has to conform to laws with the turn signals and taillight, but the stock stuff is downright hideous! I threw a CRG 3” round (with adapter) off the left bar and Rizoma Track-77 turn signals on the front and Rizoma Avio 21 rear signals tucked up under the seat pretty much hidden. Rear taillight was replaced with a Lossa LED. I did all the other usual cosmetic upgrades like the black skid plate, brake reservoir and dresser bar kit (all Triumph brand). I am taking my parts to the powder coating shop soon and will say that if you have the Triumph headlight grille kit, it is a pain riding it at night when it is in its original chrome color. Damn thing reflects light back into your face!

Please let me know how your suspension set-up works out. You mentioned you were tossing on Progressive 970 piggyback shocks and RaceTech .85 front springs. I’m looking for a few suspension mods, but also keeping in mind this isn’t a street track bike or a motocross bike.

I am also going to throw on the fat bars and need to find a decent handlebar/clamp combo. I know there is info hidden throughout these threads, but not a whole lot on the 2013 model which may have some slight differences. I love hooligan riding this bike around town and enjoy pulling it up on one wheel for a city block or so. You have to lug the hell out of it and feather that clutch good to get the front end up, so for that reason, I’m going to explore dropping the front sprocket a tooth to see what happens.
dirty savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #17411
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Looks like a great ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Unreal View Post
Finally had a chance to take the new bike out Scrambling today with my buddy who bought one with me. We had a blast tearing around on the firebreak roads on the backside of post, but definitely found out a few things (I already knew them from reading this forum, but being stubborn I had to find out for my self).

1. The tires must go. TKC80s are on their way. We slipped and slid on just about every terrain we encountered to include sand, gravel, pinestraw, and pretty much everything else.

2. The bikes are heavy. There is no way around that. Lightening up via new parts will be a priority. Also, having the seat scooped out a bit to get me about an 1" closer to the ground will give me a little more of a warm and fuzzy when I need to put the feet down.

3. The stock pipes are terrible. I knew that and ordered an Arrow system the day I bought the bike. After riding it for a week, I am considering canceling the Arrow and going with a low exhaust. I know people cringe when they hear about low pipes on Scramblers, but it seems to make sense to me. The pipes are hot up high and they prevent you from being able to get a good "squeeze" on the tank when negotiating trails standing on the pegs. I was initially worried about the clearance issue or banging the exhaust up, but I found out today that happens with the high exhaust if you drop it on the right side (the bike is fine, sand is forgiving). Also, there are plenty or original desert bikes and "Scramblers" that had low pipes. Not to mention one of the guys from The Great Escape Blog rode all the way across Australia on a Scrambler with a low dual exhaust setup, and he rode hard through every terrain imaginable.

I've got an '06 with the low Zard Cross exhaust and love it. It's regularly off road and I ride the sh!t out of it. Haven't had any problems yet. And, it dropped around 20 or so pounds off the bike compared to the high-pipe setup. I saw a pic on here the other day of a guy with the same setup who had put the pipe protector from Touratech (i think) on, so even more peace of mind.

Good luck.
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #17412
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod Buster View Post
Put a couple of black stripes down the tank, at least a 10 HP improvement . Trying to keep the tangerine color since it was a little unusual, kind of like the bright neon green ones. Still need to do something with the fenders.
Hey, we're practically neighbors! I'm in the unincorporated area between Mukilteo and Edmonds, and work in Everett.
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #17413
Bugchewer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Unreal View Post

And of course, here are some pics of my buddy and I "breaking in" the new Scrams. And yes, I know that helmet makes me look like Marvin the Martian (I'm wearing gray), but I loaned out one 3/4 helmet and am still waiting for my new one to arrive.

Check these out. I had them on my 06 with airbox removed. They sounded nice but I went with BC high headers.
Then:

now:

Bugchewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #17414
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 323
Dime City Cycles says their new speedometer gauge mount will fit a Scrambler. Aren't the mounting bosses different between the Scrambler and Bonneville?

DCC Original "Low-pro" Speedo Gauge Cluster - (Fits: Modern Triumph Twins)

Color/Finish: Raw or Black Dimensions: N/A Material: Aluminum SKU: 52-0321 Fits: Bonneville & T100 (2001 - Present) Bonneville Mag Wheel (2009 - Present) Scrambler (2006 - Present) Thruxton (2004 - Present) *Works with stock speedo unit and LED's, does require soldering of provided LED connections for new indicators on cluster.
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #17415
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 137
Did you know the Scrambler was a main character in a novel?... I didn't

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6BKnPzyVGg

sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote