Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #17521
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2T2_Ryder View Post
I was out in the garage having a couple beers and decided to tinker with the scrams a bit... I put the black side covers and white piped seat from the 06 onto the 13. I think I like it. Definitely like the black side covers on there... Not too sure about the seat though. Thoughts?

Before:

After:
The black covers look better for sure

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #17522
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
The black covers look better for sure
Yup.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #17523
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Black covers

+1 on the black covers. They blend in much nicer. I'd even go one step further and paint the side covers in matte black.

I'm with you on the seat though. Better without the white piping I think.

Quote:
I was out in the garage having a couple beers and decided to tinker with the scrams a bit... I put the black side covers and white piped seat from the 06 onto the 13. I think I like it. Definitely like the black side covers on there... Not too sure about the seat though. Thoughts?

Before:

After:
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #17524
T KILL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:

Before:

After:
Looks great either way !
T KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #17525
T KILL
Adventurer

Quote:

Before:

After:
Since u have an original carbed scram, and a new one, can u tell me if the new ones have better off idle snap like I heard ? I'm wanting one, and still am not sure if EFI is the way to go.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #17526
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
The difference is slight

Quote:
Originally Posted by T KILL View Post
Since u have an original carbed scram, and a new one, can u tell me if the new ones have better off idle snap like I heard ? I'm wanting one, and still am not sure if EFI is the way to go.
My experience after riding both is that the EFI bike is snappy off idle and a little jerky especially when gettin back on the throttle after turning a corner. The EFI bike feels quicker and smoother tho it could be that the carbs on the 06 need some adjusting as I have no idea what the PO has done to them. The carb bike is great also. No jerky throttle it just doesn't seem as quick and the engine doesn't spin up as fast as the EFI. It all comes down to personal preference, I enjoy tinkering with carbs and think they can be tuned to accept a wider array of performance add ons if you know what your doing. The differences are not that great and the carbs on these are very reliable and they fuel well. My 06 has a 17T front sprocket which helps a bit but the EFI just feels peppier. I wouldn't be deterred either way, find the bike that you like at a price that suits you and go for it. I love riding both and I thought I never wanted a carb bike again but there is such a small difference that it doesn't matter. Plus for me it's fun to throw back a few and tinker with the carb bike. Not as fun to drop $90 at the dealer for a tune on the EFI. And the carb bike is just cool. It smells like oil and gas, has a choke, no tach and just feels like a raw motorcycle. Good luck with your decision. You can't lose either way.
2T2_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #17527
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Quote:
And FWIW... Both bikes will wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear, do burnouts (trying to wear out the death wings to justify new tires), slide the rear in the dirt and out accelerate 90% of the cars on the road up to about 85...dodge vipers have great top end but I had him up to 85...EFI bike would have been similar cause corvette Z06 caught me at 87...(closed course, non professional rider at the controls) ;)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #17528
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
You make a very good point sir.

Quote:
Looks great either way !
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #17529
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:

Before:

After:
You made the right decision....the gulf clubs are gone

the black covers look good
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #17530
2T2_Ryder
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
You made the right decision....the gulf clubs are gone

the black covers look good
Thanks! And stay tuned...06 scram is being torn down. Think big bore kit, cams, 105whp cafe racer with USD forks. I would love to do a desert sled but NJ...not too much desert. The '13 will do street, touring and dirt duty while the 06 will be my hot rod/track bike. I wanted a speed triple but can make a better looking, similarly fast bike out of the 06 for the price of a used S3. And so it begins....air box? Gone...hence the black covers on the '13. You only live once!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #17531
T KILL
Adventurer

Quote:
And FWIW... Both bikes will wheelie in 1st and 2nd gear, do burnouts (trying to wear out the death wings to justify new tires), slide the rear in the dirt and out accelerate 90% of the cars on the road up to about 85...dodge vipers have great top end but I had him up to 85...EFI bike would have been similar cause corvette Z06 caught me at 87...(closed course, non professional rider at the controls) ;)
Sounds good to me...was riding my KLR today, thinking how smooth it is, how well it runs, and how lucky I am to have a good one that uses no oil...but I kept wishing I was on a scrambler, with that long seat,extra power and cool style...sigh...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #17532
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,016
Cool2

Quote:
Thanks! And stay tuned...06 scram is being torn down. Think big bore kit, cams, 105whp cafe racer with USD forks. I would love to do a desert sled but NJ...not too much desert. The '13 will do street, touring and dirt duty while the 06 will be my hot rod/track bike. I wanted a speed triple but can make a better looking, similarly fast bike out of the 06 for the price of a used S3. And so it begins....air box? Gone...hence the black covers on the '13. You only live once!
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #17533
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
I haven't try both. But I bought a 06' because a magazine here test both, even of a bench. And result was that the carb one has more torque a lower rpm. And I'm very happy of my choice.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #17534
manyu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Questions about buying a Scrambler

Hey guys,
I have been reading this thread for a while now and you guys have got me really excited about the Scrambler. I have a couple of questions and I would really appreciate the help.

I was going to buy a new 2013 matte grey Scrambler for ~$9500 (incl delivery fee) but then I noticed (after months of looking on CL) that there is a used Matte Green 2009 Scrambler for sale with only 3000 miles. That one is selling for $6500. Is that a good price? I ask since I am not sure about the depreciation rate for motorcycles.

Any major difference between the 2009 and 2013 Scrambler?

Another option is a 2012 Bonneville T100 for $7500 as opposed to $9300 for the 2013 one. Still torn about Scrambler vs T100. Any thoughts?

I could probably get a couple hundred bucks off the new Scrambler from the dealer if I dont take their offer of free service in the first year. How much does it cost to get a motorcycle serviced? What does it entail?

Finally, any thoughts on how to transport a newly purchased bike from Vermont to Massachusetts without plates if I go down the used bike route?

Thanks a lot guys!
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #17535
sprouty115
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Hey guys,
I have been reading this thread for a while now and you guys have got me really excited about the Scrambler. I have a couple of questions and I would really appreciate the help.

I was going to buy a new 2013 matte grey Scrambler for ~$9500 (incl delivery fee) but then I noticed (after months of looking on CL) that there is a used Matte Green 2009 Scrambler for sale with only 3000 miles. That one is selling for $6500. Is that a good price? I ask since I am not sure about the depreciation rate for motorcycles.

Any major difference between the 2009 and 2013 Scrambler?

Another option is a 2012 Bonneville T100 for $7500 as opposed to $9300 for the 2013 one. Still torn about Scrambler vs T100. Any thoughts?

I could probably get a couple hundred bucks off the new Scrambler from the dealer if I dont take their offer of free service in the first year. How much does it cost to get a motorcycle serviced? What does it entail?

Finally, any thoughts on how to transport a newly purchased bike from Vermont to Massachusetts without plates if I go down the used bike route?

Thanks a lot guys!
I believe that 2009 was the first year for fuel injection in the US. So the first year of production for auto/motorcycles can have teething issues but then again, it will most likely have been sorted in 3k miles. Not sure if there were any significant upgrades.

$6,500 is probably reasonable if it's in great shape (stored indoors and maintained), but if it's been sitting outside and neglected then that could be a whole different story.

The T100 has a different seating position and it's noticeably lower. I was looking at a T100/Scrambler/Thruxton and the T100 felt too low for me, whereas the Scrambler felt perfect. This is completely a personal choice thing so sitting on them each should tell you what feels right.

I was offered $600 off if skipped the first-year-free maintenance thing and would have jumped at that offer if I had ended up buying from that dealer. I ended up buying closer to home (Providence) so I didn't have that option. First year maintenance is really only oil changes and checking the bike over. It's all very basic. I was quoted $175 for the full 600 mile check up. I did the oil myself, installed a set of pipes then brought it to the dealer to load a richer map and give it a once-over. They charged me approx $115. I thought that was very fair but it will still be the last trip to the dealer. After I added the last set of mods I ordered a cable and loaded the new map myself. Easy-peasy.

sprouty115 screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 04:43 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote