Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #17626
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbiker View Post
I've been looking for a used one and no luck. Is there generally a time of the year Triumph releases new models? Harley generally releases info of theirs in July.
It seems that new models are announced over the winter and early spring and then arrive sometimes months later. These days there sometimes seem to be little rhyme or reason to when the bike companies do their introductions, sometimes they are timed for annual dealer meetings or at dealers in time for the majority of the riding season (for most of the U.S.). Honda announced their new 500's and 700's in early winter in time for the motorcycle shows, not all of them were on display and not all of them are yet in the showrooms. A bit hard to figure. Occasionally take a look at http://www.motorcycledaily.com/ they seem to get the product announcements - sure there are other websites that do the same.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #17627
Ctscrambler
2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer: 37
New to me 2010 scrambler! Beautiful!

Just picked up a bike I've wanted for years, even when I was owning different BMW's. just needed a bike with some character and souls! This is it! Waited to find a gloss black model with fuel injection! Really don't want to make any changes for this season. Maybe remove the baffles from the exhaust next year but just exited to put some miles and enjoy the summer!

Without pullin out he owners manual, does anyone have any advice on engine break in? Coming up on 1000 miles on this 2010 bike.

Thanks in advance!
Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #17628
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
Just picked up a bike I've wanted for years, even when I was owning different BMW's. just needed a bike with some character and souls! This is it! Waited to find a gloss black model with fuel injection! Really don't want to make any changes for this season. Maybe remove the baffles from the exhaust next year but just exited to put some miles and enjoy the summer!

Without pullin out he owners manual, does anyone have any advice on engine break in? Coming up on 1000 miles on this 2010 bike.

Thanks in advance!
Start cracking her open...she's broken in

Enjoy
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #17629
manyu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I just got my Scrambler last week and have noticed that rear brakes are squealing. Should that be happening?

Also, is the Triumph warranty still valid if you service your own bike? Their website says otherwise.

I also need advice on buying some accessories:
1. First off, can you guys recommend an online store for Triumph accessories?

2. I was getting slammed while riding on I-90 without a windshield. Will the Dart Flyscreen suffice? I am 6'1"

3. Any recommendations on tail racks? Since there arent any currently viable pannier options (excl MM), I was thinking of doing a tail rack/top box combo.

4. Recommendations on engine dresser bars? Do these really protect the engine in case of crashes?

5. Same for skid plate.

6. Any recommendations for helmet locks?

7. Final question, I promise, has anyone used the Scottoiler auto chain lube system? Worth it?

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help.

Go Bruins!

Manyu
manyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #17630
maddy'sdad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
I just got my Scrambler last week and have noticed that rear brakes are squealing. Should that be happening?

Also, is the Triumph warranty still valid if you service your own bike? Their website says otherwise.

1. First off, can you guys recommend an online store for Triumph accessories?

2. I was getting slammed while riding on I-90 without a windshield. Will the Dart Flyscreen suffice? I am 6'1"

3. Any recommendations on tail racks? Since there arent any currently viable pannier options (excl MM), I was thinking of doing a tail rack/top box combo.

4. Recommendations on engine dresser bars? Do these really protect the engine in case of crashes?

5. Same for skid plate.

7. Final question, I promise, has anyone used the Scottoiler auto chain lube system? Worth it?

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help.

Go Bruins!

Manyu
You can read my earlier thread on the Dart and an aftermarket windshield (6/15/13). Your bike is still new, have service check out the alignment of your rear wheel and disc. You do have a Nissin 2-piston floating caliper so ....Triumph accessory website: http://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/ Dresser bars will suffice for a tip over but at speed they will deconstruct. The skid plate is worthwhile. My Arai helmet is 4 years old & I plunk it over the sissy bar, it just fits. This bike begins to break in & smooth out after the first 6000 miles.
maddy'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #17631
Motoblag
Replacing skill with will

Oddometer: 383
Quote:

5. Same for skid plate.

Quoted the things I can answer. Rear brakes shouldn't squeal, but the caliper position makes it easy to pick up road grime. I went through a couple set of brake pads before buying an Up-n-Over relocation bracket ( http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/upno...er-bracket.php ). Works as it should, now!

I have used the Ventura tailbag setup for 15,000+ miles. It's an okay piece of kit. The bag itself is really nice, the rack is okay. http://newbonneville.com/html/ventura_rack_system.html

A skid plate is nice. The Triumph one seems to work fine, although it doesn't cover the oil filter entirely so you'd want to extend it somehow if you're in really gnarly stuff. I happen to have a used Triumph one for sale if you're interested, drop me a PM.

The Scottoiler setup is a wish-list for my Scrambler. I have it on my Honda 599 and love how I never have to dink with the chain any more. No lubing, maybe a wipe down once or twice a year and that's it. Oh and refilling the oiler. If it doubles the life of the chain and sprocket it pays for itself and has already paid for itself in not worrying about cleaning or lubing the chain. Nice here in rainy Portland.
Motoblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #17632
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:

Manyu
In Oz they can not refuse warranty if you service yourself or another mechanic does your work and it's serviced as per their schedule...it's a restriction of trade rule
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #17633
babble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Here's my lovely scram. (on a nice road-trip to the Creuse area of France) Not many mods. Bafflectomied Arrow, new indicators and lights, dart fly screen and cheap renntec rip-off luggage rack (which does the job very well actually for 1/3rd the price). oh, and I have Dunlop Trailmax tires, which girp like sticky things on sticky things. oh again, I have replacement gear and break levers (from ebay) - really nice quality for about €12 from China.

One mod i would really love to do would be to fit a new small instrument panel, but i don't think there is an easy plug-and-play one out there for the time being. (mine is an EFI from 2011, so no speedo cable)

babble screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 07:22 AM
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #17634
babble
Adventurer

And why not, here's another photo of her a year earlier. I've been on the Grandes Route des Alps with her, and on a great track day at Brand's Hatch. lovely bike. although moves around a little much on the motorway in bad weather for my liking (that may have been due to my oversized one piece rain suit.)

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #17635
babble
Adventurer

For information these are the tyres: Dunlop Trailmax 91s

The bike falls into the corners now. Completely transformed compared to stock tyres. Like riding a totally different bike. Even more fun. (I got one size up on front and back, works well. (in fact I got the recomended size for the size of hub, just one bigger than stock.))

I got them based partly on information found in this thread (see link to test on page 2). I am currently 100% on tarmac (because my dumb friends insist on silly sports bikes.). http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650705

babble screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 07:13 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #17636
Aeon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:

Manyu
The Dart flyscreen likely won't do much for you until you lean over the tank slightly, but then it helps tremendously. I am 6'3 and used one on a 1300 mile trip recently. I will be purchasing a National Deflector Street Shield EX for the next trip as I am not satisfied with the Dart.

I have the Sato Racing helmet lock on my Scrambler and it's great. It mounts under the left rear shock.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #17637
manyu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy'sdad View Post
You can read my earlier thread on the Dart and an aftermarket windshield (6/15/13). Your bike is still new, have service check out the alignment of your rear wheel and disc. You do have a Nissin 2-piston floating caliper so ....Triumph accessory website: http://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/ Dresser bars will suffice for a tip over but at speed they will deconstruct. The skid plate is worthwhile. My Arai helmet is 4 years old & I plunk it over the sissy bar, it just fits. This bike begins to break in & smooth out after the first 6000 miles.
Thanks Maddy'sDad. I took it back into the shop to get it looked at. Lets see what they have to say. The bike begins to smooth out after 6k miles?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #17638
manyu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoblag View Post
Quoted the things I can answer. Rear brakes shouldn't squeal, but the caliper position makes it easy to pick up road grime. I went through a couple set of brake pads before buying an Up-n-Over relocation bracket ( http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/upno...er-bracket.php ). Works as it should, now!

I have used the Ventura tailbag setup for 15,000+ miles. It's an okay piece of kit. The bag itself is really nice, the rack is okay. http://newbonneville.com/html/ventura_rack_system.html

A skid plate is nice. The Triumph one seems to work fine, although it doesn't cover the oil filter entirely so you'd want to extend it somehow if you're in really gnarly stuff. I happen to have a used Triumph one for sale if you're interested, drop me a PM.

The Scottoiler setup is a wish-list for my Scrambler. I have it on my Honda 599 and love how I never have to dink with the chain any more. No lubing, maybe a wipe down once or twice a year and that's it. Oh and refilling the oiler. If it doubles the life of the chain and sprocket it pays for itself and has already paid for itself in not worrying about cleaning or lubing the chain. Nice here in rainy Portland.
Thanks Motoblag. That UpNOver converter looks pretty handy. Will put it on the wishlist :)

Isn't the Ventura pack pretty expensive at $435? At that point the Metal Mule isnt that far off I guess.

How about the Renntec or Hepco & Becker racks?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #17639
manyu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
The Dart flyscreen likely won't do much for you until you lean over the tank slightly, but then it helps tremendously. I am 6'3 and used one on a 1300 mile trip recently. I will be purchasing a National Deflector Street Shield EX for the next trip as I am not satisfied with the Dart.

I have the Sato Racing helmet lock on my Scrambler and it's great. It mounts under the left rear shock.
Thanks Aeon. I am not sure I like the look of the Street Shield too much. I like that the flyscreen is small and adds to the Scrambler charm, but of course the interstate speeds seem like they would be a concern.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #17640
Aeon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Thanks Aeon. I am not sure I like the look of the Street Shield too much. I like that the flyscreen is small and adds to the Scrambler charm, but of course the interstate speeds seem like they would be a concern.
I hear you on the looks of the street shield. The nice thing is it's a quick-detach bracket. I'd only put it on for serious interstate cruising. (overnights and longer)
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote