User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #1771
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 731
Re-gearing

I'm thinking about adding one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket to get a little more highway cruising out of the Scrambler.. As it is now cruising at 75-80 mph returns huge engine braking when lifting the throttle. I'd like to have it a little more mellow (lower RPM's) at highway speeds....

Anyone who has re-geared the Scrambler could you please give some feedback on how you like or dislike the re-gearing?
I'm not to worried about low end grunt as she has plenty and loosing on tooth up front I don't think will kill her around town or on the trails, but would like some first hand knowledge before I order one up.

Thanks for any info.

UP N MTNS

White Tenere screwed with this post 06-16-2008 at 02:37 PM
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #1772
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
I'm thinking about dropping one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket to get a little more highway cruising out of the Scrambler.. As it is now cruising at 75-80 mph returns huge engine braking when lifting the throttle. I'd like to have it a little more mellow (lower RPM's) at highway speeds....

Anyone who has re-geared the Scrambler could you please give some feedback on how you like or dislike the re-gearing?
I'm not to worried about low end grunt as she has plenty and loosing on tooth up front I don't think will kill her around town or on the trails, but would like some first hand knowledge before I order one up.

Thanks for any info.

UP N MTNS
You wanna go up one tooth to lose RPMs, not down. No experience, but I would be afraid of lugging, which is very hard on an engine.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #1773
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Solo versus dual seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks_Fan
I ride with the solo seat around town, and on trips I use the stock seat (that I've had repadded and gel lined- $85 at a local shop). I don't like the solo seat for distance because at 6'3", I like to be able to scoot back and forth on the seat when my legs get stiff. The luggage rack assembly you see with it loaded is the Ventura setup- an absolute must if you plan on going long distance (or even want the ability to hold groceries).

http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=808

FWIW, I have a short inseam (29") and the solo is great for me, so it will all depend on how tall you are, Kathy.

+ 1 on the Ventura system. I bet this site alone has sold 10 sets to Scrammy owners!

Emily Bronte
Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #1774
White Tenere
Look a moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Vern
You wanna go up one tooth to lose RPMs, not down. No experience, but I would be afraid of lugging, which is very hard on an engine.

It's been a long day and just last night I re geared (dropped one tooth) our new Monster 696, now its a wheelie when you want bike!!!
Yes you are correct I want to up size one tooth on the Scarmbler's C/S.... I'm not to worried about lugging, this thing is like a Diesel truck when it comes to torque.

Anyone?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #1775
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
[quote=Canucks_Fan]I ride with the solo seat around town, and on trips I use the stock seat (that I've had repadded and gel lined- $85 at a local shop). I don't like the solo seat for distance because at 6'3", I like to be able to scoot back and forth on the seat when my legs get stiff. The luggage rack assembly you see with it loaded is the Ventura setup- an absolute must if you plan on going long distance (or even want the ability to hold groceries).

Thanks Canucks Fan and Mista Vern. Ventura luggage it's going to be for me then. I'm going to be on many weekend + trips around Alaska on my Scrammy and will defintely need the luggage capacity. I'm 5'8" and get around fine on my Yammy V-Star cruiser solo seat, so I suspect the solo seat will work for me on the Scrambler (although legs are more forward on the cruiser, I understand that). Neither of you said directly, but I assume the solo seat IS more comfortable than the stock seat? And, do I assume correctly that the solo seat/rack combo works with the Ventura luggage system rack?

Thanks again for answering my noob questions.

Kathy

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #1776
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnak
Neither of you said directly, but I assume the solo seat IS more comfortable than the stock seat?

Kathy
Don't have the Ventura system but will chime in on the seat comfort question. I do find the Triumph solo seat to be more comfortable.........must be the shape/thickness. I assume that they both have comparable density foam. Am 6'1" and am able to move around fore & aft on solo saddle.
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #1777
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

[quote=ksnak]
Quote:
And, do I assume correctly that the solo seat/rack combo works with the Ventura luggage system rack?

Thanks again for answering my noob questions.

Kathy
Yes, it works fine. You can plug two "sissy bar" things into the basic rack, a short one of about 4" that accomodates a tail bad, and a tall one that accomodates the large cargo bag. I keep the small one on whenever I am not touring, as it looks good and is just a handy size for most daily duties. Youcan switch between the short and tall ones in less than a minute, so easy-peasy.

Looking forward to pics when you get a chance!

Emily Bronte
Old 06-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #1778
Canucks_Fan
Hockey thug, beer swiller

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnak
Thanks Canucks Fan and Mista Vern. Ventura luggage it's going to be for me then. I'm going to be on many weekend + trips around Alaska on my Scrammy and will defintely need the luggage capacity. I'm 5'8" and get around fine on my Yammy V-Star cruiser solo seat, so I suspect the solo seat will work for me on the Scrambler (although legs are more forward on the cruiser, I understand that). Neither of you said directly, but I assume the solo seat IS more comfortable than the stock seat? And, do I assume correctly that the solo seat/rack combo works with the Ventura luggage system rack?
My pleasure. Solo seat is WAY more comfy than the stock (IMO). Like Vern said, the Ventura system will work with any configuration of seats- if you have the ventura bag on the back of the rack, you can use the seat rack. With the bag forward, you can't use the seat rack, but can use the rack in the Ventura frame (like in the pic of my bike loaded up).
Canucks_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #1779
Canucks_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
I'm thinking about adding one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket to get a little more highway cruising out of the Scrambler.. As it is now cruising at 75-80 mph returns huge engine braking when lifting the throttle. I'd like to have it a little more mellow (lower RPM's) at highway speeds....

Thanks for any info.

UP N MTNS
I am patiently awaiting some other gunea pig that wants to play around with the transmission (or find another tranny that will mate up?) and find out how to add a 6th gear, just because of how hard the engine breaking can be.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #1780
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
18T Countershaft Sprocket

Quote:
I am patiently awaiting some other gunea pig that wants to play around with the transmission (or find another tranny that will mate up?) and find out how to add a 6th gear, just because of how hard the engine breaking can be.
Can't help you there, but I can tell you I have had excellent results from going up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. I have a 904cc kit, airbox deletion and Thunderbike High Pipes and the motor handles the taller gearing just fine. I am no longer always reaching for a non-existant sixth gear.

ACE

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #1781
White Tenere
Look a moose

Well I ordered a new sprocket.. I'll post back once I get it and put it on the bike..
http://www.bellacorse.com/bce001.htm
Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 PM   #1782
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
My pleasure. Solo seat is WAY more comfy than the stock (IMO). Like Vern said, the Ventura system will work with any configuration of seats- if you have the ventura bag on the back of the rack, you can use the seat rack. With the bag forward, you can't use the seat rack, but can use the rack in the Ventura frame (like in the pic of my bike loaded up).
Excellent! Thanks so much again, both of you, Vern and Canucks.

And, yes, when my bike arrives I will see about posting pics. I'd say it's about time to get a tangerine/silver Scrambler (non promo ad) pic posted here!

Best Regards,

Kathy

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #1783
Canucks_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat
Can't help you there, but I can tell you I have had excellent results from going up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. I have a 904cc kit, airbox deletion and Thunderbike High Pipes and the motor handles the taller gearing just fine. I am no longer always reaching for a non-existant sixth gear.

ACE
I've done just about everything you can do to this bike except for the 904cc kit. I really LOVE the torque in 1st gear right now and don't like the thought of losing that low speed grunt power. Maybe I'll try the new sprocket in the winter- it'll give me something to do anyways. I'm kind of hoping Triumph will come out with a 6 speed tranny in the none to distant future to go with the EFI.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #1784
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
19 toof

Big discussion last week on the other board about the 19t. Like most things some folks loved it, some hated it, others were just curious. As with all things it will come down to riding style. I'm a flatlander, don't do tight trails, or haul heavy loads so the 19t is on the short list for me.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...cket-woes.html
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #1785
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
Horn Update

The new horn I ordered for the Scrambler arrived today. Can't mount it in the spot I anticipated. New horn is a tad larger than I thought it would be. The search for a LOUD replacement horn for my Scrambler continues.........

Guess I'll put the new horn on my little Toyota.
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote