Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #17881
optical
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thats I'm what I'm using - cruiser air hawk.

It help. I commute 60 miles each way and after the first few weeks my ass was sore. I've notice a lot less fatigue with the air hawk.
optical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #17882
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question but here goes.

I "think" I'd like a 270 engine with Thruxton clothes, or possibly an easily convertible hybrid. I really prefer the cadence of the 270 crank over the 360. I'm thinking it's easier to start with a Scrambler and build towards a Thruxton than converting a Thruxton to a 270 crank motor.

I kinda like the 19" front wheel so I'm good with that. I'd go with low pipes for sure, either 2 into 2 or 2 into 1, not sure. I don't care for the high pipes at all, plus they hit your right leg big time.

Does anybody make cams that kick the 270 performance up a notch? Or is that practical given EFI programming issues?

I've ridden a Thruxton but not a Scramber yet, it's on the to do list. I like all of the Bonnie variants and am a bit torn as which way to go. I've got plenty of "dirty" bikes but nothing vintage/cafe/standard style and these bikes really appeal to me. I was very impressed with the Thruxton when I rode it. I'm thinking I can build sort of a hybrid that could meld between looks with a change in seats etc.

Does this make any sense and are there some existing threads that run in this direction, here or elsewhere?
Well I have both, 2009 Thruxton EFI & 2006 Scrambler Carby, IMHO the Thruxton is much better, goes harder & smoother.
The Thruxton will pull from 50kph in top gear..smooth as, the Scrambler want's to be in 4th at 50kph. Both bikes are great but to me the 360 motor is way better !!!!

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #17883
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by optical View Post
Hmm.

Thinking trying a fork brace....
Scram already has one under the mudguard.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #17884
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolf View Post
Quick one from a long day yesterday.

That is one great photo.
Bike history [(N) = bought new] :- YAS1, RD350B(N), XS750(N), XT500, XJ650(N), XJ900S(N), CBX750, XL185S, XR250RF, XR600, KTM600LC4, TDR250, R100GS, TS200R, Tiger955i(N), Scrambler900efi, Tiger800XC(N)...
Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #17885
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question but here goes.

I "think" I'd like a 270 engine with Thruxton clothes, or possibly an easily convertible hybrid. I really prefer the cadence of the 270 crank over the 360. I'm thinking it's easier to start with a Scrambler and build towards a Thruxton than converting a Thruxton to a 270 crank motor.

I kinda like the 19" front wheel so I'm good with that. I'd go with low pipes for sure, either 2 into 2 or 2 into 1, not sure. I don't care for the high pipes at all, plus they hit your right leg big time.

Does anybody make cams that kick the 270 performance up a notch? Or is that practical given EFI programming issues?

I've ridden a Thruxton but not a Scramber yet, it's on the to do list. I like all of the Bonnie variants and am a bit torn as which way to go. I've got plenty of "dirty" bikes but nothing vintage/cafe/standard style and these bikes really appeal to me. I was very impressed with the Thruxton when I rode it. I'm thinking I can build sort of a hybrid that could meld between looks with a change in seats etc.

Does this make any sense and are there some existing threads that run in this direction, here or elsewhere?
I think you'd far better off if you started with a Thruxton and put a Scram engine in it.
As for performance, you need to go back into this thread several chapters and look at how "Grizzly Bear" got over 90bhp out of his Scram engine. That's waaaay back in 2010/11.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #17886
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulness View Post
I was on a dirt path and there was a downed tree covering 2/3's of the path, there was a small opening that I managed to wiggle through but at the last second, the engine protection bar, then shifter got caught up on a stray part of the log. Didn't wipe out, got very wiggly and then, no downshifting.

After getting home and inspection, the little hit on the shifter broke a part off the gear change selector and the whole shaft had to be replaced as it's all one piece.

Here are some pics and looking for recommendations on a nice folding shifter

Get a steel shift lever they bend instead of the shaft, did the same thing to mine about 4 years ago
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #17887
Mastodon
Mother F'n Dinosaur

Oddometer: 530
I haven't really been active in the forum much over the last couple of months, so I'm not sure if this has been posted recently or not, but I saw this on the Triumph facebook page, and thought I should share.

See the more pictures here: http://www.way2speed.com/2013/07/cus...#axzz2ZSADbXAP

Jacob Mast Photography - site under renovation
Mastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:26 AM   #17888
henryII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
I think you'd far better off if you started with a Thruxton and put a Scram engine in it.
As for performance, you need to go back into this thread several chapters and look at how "Grizzly Bear" got over 90bhp out of his Scram engine. That's waaaay back in 2010/11.
I also own a Thrux and a Scramb, they are different. One thing is for sure the engine differance, but for me the ergonomie is what the main differance is about. I have used both bikes on trackdays, and the Thruxton will give you not just a agressive riding style but more control going into corners in high speed. I have data from the riding and the Thrux pull stronger from 140km/h. But on ordinary roads, gravel roads and as a commuting bike the Scrambler is a better choice for me. It has a riding position that allow me to get more out off the nature around :-)

Yes it's possible to do engine upgrades to both off them. The 90hp on Grizzly is a huge upgrade, but I guess that you would notice the same on a Thrux. A friend has a Bonnie with 82hp on the rear wheel (dyno tested) at JJolle in Malmo. Jjoje is on off the first guys that did engine upgrade on the classic series and a legend at triumphrat and do dragracing with a 115hp bonneville. (here is a thread on our visit there http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...o-jjoje-2.html)

Again this is how I experience the two bikes apart, other opinions have my full respect off course. By the way I have a 904 kit with new ecu going in to my Scrambler as a winter prosject. My goal is 80 hp at the rear wheel, but still not sure that I will ride faster around the track compared to the stock Thruxton ;-)

http://www.triumph-hinckley.no/

[/URL]
henryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #17889
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
How to best fill up those now empty brackets?

Fellow Triumph Aficionados,

Having "Scramblerized" my 2004 Bonneville with Thunderbike pipes and Bashplate, mounted K-60 Heidenau tires and other bits I am left with Passenger Pegs-Exhaust Brackets on both sides of the bike that are devoid of any purpose. (Triumph solo seat and Thunderbike High Pipe Exhaust mounted.)

So has anyone used these attachment points for adding some badly needed some storage capacity to the Triumph "Modern Classics"? If so please share your knowledge/experience in this matter. I am wondering if some small metal box could be attached to them on each side.

Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr.
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Pegpacker
Royal Enfield Tool Box

Many ThanX,

Ace Cafe Rat

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #17890
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
I also own a Thrux and a Scramb, they are different. One thing is for sure the engine differance, but for me the ergonomie is what the main differance is about. I have used both bikes on trackdays, and the Thruxton will give you not just a agressive riding style but more control going into corners in high speed. I have data from the riding and the Thrux pull stronger from 140km/h. But on ordinary roads, gravel roads and as a commuting bike the Scrambler is a better choice for me. It has a riding position that allow me to get more out off the nature around :-)

Yes it's possible to do engine upgrades to both off them. The 90hp on Grizzly is a huge upgrade, but I guess that you would notice the same on a Thrux. A friend has a Bonnie with 82hp on the rear wheel (dyno tested) at JJolle in Malmo. Jjoje is on off the first guys that did engine upgrade on the classic series and a legend at triumphrat and do dragracing with a 115hp bonneville. (here is a thread on our visit there http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...o-jjoje-2.html)

Again this is how I experience the two bikes apart, other opinions have my full respect off course. By the way I have a 904 kit with new ecu going in to my Scrambler as a winter prosject. My goal is 80 hp at the rear wheel, but still not sure that I will ride faster around the track compared to the stock Thruxton ;-)
This is pretty much the exact post I would have written. Ride them both before you decide because the riding position will be more of a factor than the cylinder timing. In fact unless you've spent a significant time on both bikes I'd bet you'd have a hard time hearing any difference. You're going to change the pipes on either bike (stock they both sound anemic), so that's a wash, add a free-flowing filter and a new tune and then see what a difference there is in performance. You might be surprised.

As for swapping things back and forth, a seat is 5 minutes, a bar change is probably less than an hour once you have it sorted, same with the wheels. But the foot-pegs/brake/shifiting linkage will be much more involved.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #17891
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

My Scamblerfied Bonnie

Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #17892
T KILL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Good comparison between the bonne and scrambler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Lovin' Criminal View Post
Quick question - am I right in saying the 270 degree Scrambler engine has significantly more torque than the T100.

I ask because I took my Thunderbird in for a service yesterday. Had test rides on a 800XC and 1050 Sport while I was there then took a T100 loaner home.

The little Bonne blew me away with its general 'throwaboutability' and surprising amount of torque - I enjoyed it much more than the 2 Tigers.

I've been following this thread since the beginning and I'm now thinking a Scrambler could be an ideal mate for the 'bird.

So spill - is it more torquey than the T100? If so, I think I'm sold.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...eScrambler.pdf
T KILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #17893
duckman
unindited co consperitor

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post
very nice
"sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc" 'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #17894
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
very nice
Muchas gracias. I have just decided what will go on the vacant starboard passenger peg mount. A MASSIVELY LOUD horn. (I just narrowly escaped death-or-dismemberment due to yet another texting cage driver.)

The vacant port passenger peg mount is till up for grabs however and suggestions are quite welcome.

Ace Cafe Rat

Old 08-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #17895
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post
Muchas gracias. I have just decided what will go on the vacant starboard passenger peg mount. A MASSIVELY LOUD horn. (I just narrowly escaped death-or-dismemberment due to yet another texting cage driver.)

The vacant port passenger peg mount is till up for grabs however and suggestions are quite welcome.

Ace Cafe Rat
How bout this one, it's supposed to "wake the dead", if you don't carry a passenger then the air tank & compressor should fit on your pillion seat.

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Seriously, I've been using a Stebel Nautilus Compact Dual-Tone 12-Volt Motorcycle Air Horn, 139 dB, Black for years. It does get cagers attention, no doubt.

bross screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 04:00 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote