Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #17911
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDOC View Post
These are deliberate drops and there's minimal flinging. Nothing on the ground under the bike. I'll get on my computer later and post a couple pics. It does appear to be coming from the front chain gear area.

Thanks for the input.
It's chain lube. It comes off the chain, collects in the sprocket cover and then drips/runs down. Nothing to worry about. Clean it and go!
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #17912
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Advice needed

I know I will get biased results here but what the hell, let's see what happens.

I currently have a 2006 Scrambler and 2005 Tiger. I bought the Tiger because I found the Scram not very convenient to commute to work on. I wanted to be able to carry my laptop safely and dry as well as something, well, more mile eating. I have a 30 mile commute and found that the scram was just not in its zone doing secondary highway cruising with the purpose of being transportation. The Tiger does this job well and with 2 Givi 30L cases I have room to spare for laptop, bag, raingear, helmet etc.

Now, the problem: I expected to love the Tiger or find it of no added benefit and sell one or the other. However, I took the Tiger on a 7 hour trip to the Smokies and it was fabulous. I only had ridden a couple hour trips before that and just loved the ability to stand up, sit down, rear pegs, rear seat, etc. Never an issue with finding a place to be comfortable. I haven't done this on the scram and I have the same basic trip coming up again this fall. I think I will trailer the bike to save time and ride at night, so no reason to have a mile eater.

The real problem is I only ride enough to justify one motorcycle. I don't need the money, but at the same time it is taking up space and I ride each one only a couple times a month. For whatever reason I just like getting in my car eating breakfast and drinking coffee, completely unthought and last minute. The scam is the bike I love to ride. It sounds awesome and is a hoot to ride. The ability to customize it to look like what you want is a real selling point for me. But when I think about that trip on the Tiger I just think: a better windscreen and its the perfect bike. I would change nothing, not one thing.

Thoughts???
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #17913
ArmyDOC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
It's chain lube. It comes off the chain, collects in the sprocket cover and then drips/runs down. Nothing to worry about. Clean it and go!
That is good news to hear!! I just traded my Tiger 800 (amazing bike) for the Matte Graphite Scram and I couldn't be happier. Most fun I've had on a bike. Truly a pleasure to ride.

Thanks for the quick replies and relieving my stress!!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #17914
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsonbw View Post
I know I will get biased results here but what the hell, let's see what happens.

I currently have a 2006 Scrambler and 2005 Tiger. I bought the Tiger because I found the Scram not very convenient to commute to work on. I wanted to be able to carry my laptop safely and dry as well as something, well, more mile eating. I have a 30 mile commute and found that the scram was just not in its zone doing secondary highway cruising with the purpose of being transportation. The Tiger does this job well and with 2 Givi 30L cases I have room to spare for laptop, bag, raingear, helmet etc.

Now, the problem: I expected to love the Tiger or find it of no added benefit and sell one or the other. However, I took the Tiger on a 7 hour trip to the Smokies and it was fabulous. I only had ridden a couple hour trips before that and just loved the ability to stand up, sit down, rear pegs, rear seat, etc. Never an issue with finding a place to be comfortable. I haven't done this on the scram and I have the same basic trip coming up again this fall. I think I will trailer the bike to save time and ride at night, so no reason to have a mile eater.

The real problem is I only ride enough to justify one motorcycle. I don't need the money, but at the same time it is taking up space and I ride each one only a couple times a month. For whatever reason I just like getting in my car eating breakfast and drinking coffee, completely unthought and last minute. The scam is the bike I love to ride. It sounds awesome and is a hoot to ride. The ability to customize it to look like what you want is a real selling point for me. But when I think about that trip on the Tiger I just think: a better windscreen and its the perfect bike. I would change nothing, not one thing.

Thoughts??
?

There's a few of us that have converted from the Scrambler to the Tiger 800. Both are great fun bikes but the Tiger is just better for me and my riding.

PS I was coming off a 2006 Scrambler as well.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #17915
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
The scam is the bike I love to ride. It sounds awesome and is a hoot to ride. The ability to customize it to look like what you want is a real selling point for me. But when I think about that trip on the Tiger I just think: a better windscreen and its the perfect bike. I would change nothing, not one thing.

Thoughts???
If I had to choose only one bike, and that bike had to do it all, I'd get ridiculous and do something like this (rear tire excluded!):
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #17916
Krieg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:

Thoughts???
I've owned both. There's a reason why I still own the Scrambler.
Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #17917
zeb13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
[QUOTE=
Thoughts???[/QUOTE]

I briefly owned both a 2009 Triumph Scrambler that I had
put 4 seasons on, and a 1996 R1100GS that I had put 300
miles on. There is a reason I no longer own a Scrambler. :)
And I loved that bike.

This is such an individual issue. You'll see guys going both
ways. All depends on your preferences and priorities.

I wouldn't have bought or sold either bike based on someone
else's opinion. Good luck sorting it out. Sounds like it's gonna
be alot of fun. :)
zeb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #17918
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 82
Wicked Conti Tyres

New set of Conti Tk's installed.

Initially it felt strange, but they've now bedded in and seem great.

Getting ready for a km4000 trip around Europe next week with the wife on her Bonny.

Got a hard wire iPhone lead to keep the GPS going full time in the top of my tank bag. Poor mans Sat Nav!

FLICKR

ajsimmo screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 01:47 AM
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #17919
sillymike
Yep! That's me...

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
I know I will get biased results here but what the hell, let's see what happens....

Thoughts???
Well, I guess it depends what you the most...

To me, the choice is simple... Even though the Tiger might be a better bike (more comfortable, more HP, better brake, better wind protection, easier to fit luggage)... I still went with a Scrambler

- Put's a bigger smile on my face when I ride it.
- Look so darn good
sillymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #17920
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:

Thoughts???

One thing stands out for me in your plan. I would never recomend that anyone ride a Scram at night unless they had changed out the OEM headlight to something much better (like a couple of candles!).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #17921
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Warm up time question

I have an 08 with Arrow exhaust, baffle in, and main jets changed from 110 to 115. It runs strong through out the RPM range after warmed up but it takes a good five minutes or so to get warm and smooth out. Low RPM until then is rough and it does not want to pull unless choked a bit. It is a PITA until warmed up and so I don't ride it as much as I'd like to. Is this normal or should I be looking for a good mechanic?
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #17922
maddy'sdad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ouch

Ok...I've been riding for 20 years and I completed a recent training day at the track (no excuses). I have a short inseam, 30 inches, so I'm not flat footed on the Scrambler. I'm switching lanes in traffic on Sunset Boulevard in LA coming to stop with a friend on the passenger seat. The bike tips slowly over to the right, no stopping it. She slips off like a gazelle, I stumble down and we both pick up the bike and we are off. No injuries, light scratches to the bike. So was my wheel turned when I braked? I had reset the preload on the rear shocks up a notch. At speed on the way to her place no further problems. Turns at slow speed are the challenge, right?
maddy'sdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #17923
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Cafe_Rat View Post
Just hit 16,500 miles!
2004 Bonneville w. 400 mi when I got it 6/30/2005
British Customs 904cc Kit
British Customs Airbox Deletion
Carbs Rejet
Thunderbike Complete Exhaust System
Thunderbike Bashplate
Progressive/Racetech Fork Internals
Triumph Solo Seat & Tail Rack
Marsee 20L(?) Tailbag
Norman Hyde Western Handlebars & Cables
Fork Risers
Steering Dampener (other side of bike)
SuperGaiters from Bella Corsa
Triumph Chrome Seat Grabrail
Hagon Classic Shocks (Since Replaced by Progressives)
Headlight Grille
Triumph Centerstand (Since Removed)
18-Tooth Countershaft Sprocket
Triumph Scrambler Front Fender
Triumph Scrambler Rear Fender
Heidenau K-60 Tires front and back
20' of Heat Wrap on Thunderbike High Pipes (under heatshields) installed in a forlorn hope of saving my right leg from becoming "well done" on each weekend ride.

Ace Cafe Rat

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity

Ace_Cafe_Rat screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 06:59 AM Reason: Fixed a typo.
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #17924
Ace_Cafe_Rat
Rogue Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryII View Post
Took a 400 km trip around Telemark, visit small lakes and the channel system that lift the boats 24 m from lower to high point.
lunch stop :-)
Would you please share some info on the fuel can visible in this photo? What size is it? Where was it sourced? How is it mounted?

ThanX

Ace Cafe Rat

Hoban "Wash" Washburne - Firefly & Serenity
Ace_Cafe_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #17925
bighead3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_cafe_rat View Post
would you please share some info on the fuel can visible in this photo? What size is it? Where was it sourced? How is it mounted?

Thanx

ace cafe rat
+1
bighead3 is offline   Reply With Quote