Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #18211
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Street Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post
I am looking to replace the original tires with something that has a lower profile (to reduce height), and more road oriented (less vibration and more grip). The new Metzeler Next seems to have a lower profile than the Bridgestone. Has anyone tried them? Could you show us pictures? I like the looks of the original tires, but for 95% on road use, I need something different...

My Trailwings got replaced with Continental Trail Attack(s) (quite) a while back. Despite the name, I would consider them a 90%+ road tire. I can't say that I noticed them being much lower but the difference in smoothness and grip was substantial.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #18212
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post
I am looking to replace the original tires with something that has a lower profile (to reduce height), and more road oriented (less vibration and more grip). The new Metzeler Next seems to have a lower profile than the Bridgestone. Has anyone tried them? Could you show us pictures? I like the looks of the original tires, but for 95% on road use, I need something different...
I have bridgestone Battle Wing and I'm very happy with them. Good gripp on the road, dry or wet. Good on gravel road. Not tested in the mud.
A french has tested a lot of tires with a BMW R1200 GS, they where on the top of the test with another one that I can't remember.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #18213
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Alright fellas, need parts, and need advice.

I NEED new headlight brackets. My stock ones are bent, the rubber grommets have worked their way out, and they are just beat up. Brackets range from $12 to $250. Any reason to spend more.....? Im confused as all hell. I intend on a new headlight too

Also, any general consensus for a go-to skid plate and crash bars? I really liked the SW motechs on my Versys but the design for the Scrambler looks flawed....two separate pieces mounted completely independently...

Also, for gravel and dirt day trippin, I am thinking of the Tourance EXPs...
I have these on my Thruxton.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-ea...-/360729849018
Well made, and reasonably priced. Very happy with them, especially considering the ugly stock ones they replaced.
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #18214
Monkeypimp
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am a new scrambler owner and have a few questions. First of all I am fairly new to motorcycles and am trying to learn as much as possible. I bought a 2007 Scrambler a month or so ago and am loving every moment I am on it. I do have a few things that bug me and want to figure out how to upgrade them.

Here is what I am looking to figure out or for recommendations on:

1)The lights on the instrument cluster(Neutral, Brights, oil pressure and turn signals) are impossible to see on bright days. Can anyone guide me on where to get upgraded lights? Is it possible to upgrade to the new style of instrument cluster on the newer scramblers?

2)I am looking for a recommendation on Footpegs/shifter upgrades.

3)Side luggage/ backrest/luggage rack....My wife likes to ride with me occassionally but she doesn't like not having a back rest. I would like to add a backrest but also need to have some small amount of storage and would like to have a saddlebag but only on the left side of the bike...then when I want to travel and have an overnight(possibly with my wife) I would like a luggage rack. what would be my best solution?

Also I am trying to this all on some sort of a budget and am looking for the best value products.

Thanks!
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #18215
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypimp View Post
I am a new scrambler owner and have a few questions. First of all I am fairly new to motorcycles and am trying to learn as much as possible. I bought a 2007 Scrambler a month or so ago and am loving every moment I am on it. I do have a few things that bug me and want to figure out how to upgrade them.

1)The lights on the instrument cluster(Neutral, Brights, oil pressure and turn signals) are impossible to see on bright days. Can anyone guide me on where to get upgraded lights? Is it possible to upgrade to the new style of instrument cluster on the newer scramblers?

3)Side luggage/ backrest/luggage rack....My wife likes to ride with me occassionally but she doesn't like not having a back rest. I would like to add a backrest but also need to have some small amount of storage and would like to have a saddlebag but only on the left side of the bike...then when I want to travel and have an overnight(possibly with my wife) I would like a luggage rack. what would be my best solution?

Also I am trying to this all on some sort of a budget and am looking for the best value products.

Thanks!
There are LED instrument light kits available for the Scrambler. New Bonneville ( http://www.newbonneville.com/ ) is probably a good source.

There is a shifter swap from a Honda trail bike (can't remember the model) that is said to work well. There are also some footpeg options mentioned back in this thread. The Triumph forum at http://www.triumphrat.net/forum.php is a good source of info.

For a luggage system / back rest you can try the Venture products at http://www.ventura-bike.com/ . I use this, but I don't carry passengers so I have the pack sack part resting on the seat and strap other stuff to the back of it.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #18216
geezfools
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:

Thanks!
The LED upgrade already suggested has worked well for most in the past, I'll be doing an entire cluster upgrade, so I haven't done it myself.

I did KLX400 pegs and have enjoyed them. I wish they had a slightly different angle to them. It feels like the front of the peg should sit a little lower. I basically only ride with the front of my foot on the peg, so it's not a huge deal, but worth mentioning. The pegs only cost $20 and after a little bit of grinding, were a perfect fit. A search on triumphrat will net you many other options, ranging from $20 to a couple hundred.
geezfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #18217
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
I've installed the led lights from newbonneville, they work very nicely. One hint is do not touch the new bulbs until you completely peeled back the stock rubber boot and remove the stock bulb - this process is a little fiddly, but the only way to do it. Don't FU the rubber boot or even think of cutting it to make peeling it back easier, just work at it. I've put this kit in both a T100 and a Scrambler, the new bulbs are great even in direct sunlight.

WRT luggage, you could buy the Triumph luggage rack or the Renntec and mount a hard case to it, that could double as a passenger back rest. There are not many hard bag solutions that come with a backrest - although you could buy a Corbin seat that has a passenger backrest. About the only solid hard side bags and luggage rack available is from Metal Mule in the UK - I think you could source it from a U.S. supplier for a bit less. Happy Trails is supposedly developing a hardbag solution for the Bonnevilles - but it is always manana with them. Using soft bag standoffs for hard bags is a somewhat iffy solution, although some have used them successfully - they would generally only provide a two point mount.

Good luck with all of this.

grebmrof screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 04:44 AM
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #18218
Zortose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:

Here is what I am looking to figure out or for

Thanks!
I have the Renntec rack and love it. Heavy duty and bigger than it looks without taking away from the looks of the bike. Renntec also makes a hard top case that mounts on the rack. Instant backrest.
http://www.newbonneville.com/html/re...orts_rack.html

This place makes an ammo can side bag with mount that seems affordable.
http://www.ba-moto.com/store/product...boxes-brackets

And here is a side bag bracket I found that would allow you to mount a saddlebag. Cheap.
http://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=15

Enjoy the Scrambler!

"We've met before, haven't we?"
Zortose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #18219
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:

Thanks!
For the idiolights, someone has just pull up a bit more the bulb into the glass and it seems to be better.

For luggages, I use the Ventura system (with two bags, altough with pillon) and i'm happy with altough I'd prefer something much nearer from the frame. I will look for someone building me such a thing. But it's written on it "it isn't a back rest". But my wife is happy with it, she feels something in her back.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #18220
Motonaught
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
I am having a helluva time deciding on tires for my '08. I need them for wet and dry commuting, cold and warm. I would like to see more fire roads, gravel, etc....but I am in the city so getting there on pavement is a must and I still need to find more non-paved roads to explore. I have ridden gravel on my current set of damn near bald stock tires and it honestly wasnt too bad until I had to brake, haha.

I would guess I need something like a Distanzia...? I want to buy tires tomorrow but I am still undecided.
I commute about 300 miles each way from my home in Montana to my work in Wyoming year round, and the Pirelli Scorpion Rally has worked the best for me.
Motonaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #18221
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Gas shower

People here in Balkans are special ... and often slackers. How can for instance one connect the fuel hose to the fuel pump w/out the orange secure lock? Well it is doable but then the poor rider ends up in the middle of nowhere with gas squirting everywhere.

When I noticed something is wrong with the engine, there had already been more than liter fuel on the engine, exhaust, electrics and on my leg. It took me a second or so to realize that I have to disconnect the fuel pump (kill switch) to stop the stream coming. I was really lucky the engine was too hot and the fuel evaporated and has not caught fire. And luckily I donīt ride w/out tools (I have H-D toll box installed) so I was able to find the cause, repair it and to continue my trip. It was worth it.
There are rocks ...

... with monasteries on them ...

... and there are forgotten WWI built roads...

Thatīs why I like working in the Balkans, for it provides reasonable amounts of exotics

Old 09-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #18222
Goat_locker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
People here in Balkans are special ... and often slackers. How can for instance one connect the fuel hose to the fuel pump w/out the orange secure lock? Well it is doable but then the poor rider ends up in the middle of nowhere with gas squirting everywhere.

Thatīs why I like working in the Balkans, for it provides reasonable amounts of exotics

Looks like some great riding! Did you get stranded?
Goat_locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #18223
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat_locker View Post
Did you get stranded?
Not this time
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #18224
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
That's one thing I would easily do

Thanks for the beautiful pics!
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #18225
munsonbw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezfools View Post
The LED upgrade already suggested has worked well for most in the past, I'll be doing an entire cluster upgrade, so I haven't done it myself.

I did KLX400 pegs and have enjoyed them. I wish they had a slightly different angle to them. It feels like the front of the peg should sit a little lower. I basically only ride with the front of my foot on the peg, so it's not a huge deal, but worth mentioning. The pegs only cost $20 and after a little bit of grinding, were a perfect fit. A search on triumphrat will net you many other options, ranging from $20 to a couple hundred.

I also something like the KLX pegs, I think mine were RM motocross pegs. Either way, as stated a little grinding and they fit OK. The ones I got off ebay did not rest on the "peg holder" the way I liked and I ended up welding some spacers for more contact. I would try the specific ones that geezfools used if you go this route. His sound like a better fit.

If I had it to do all over again I would probably just bought K&L Cycle pegs. I have these on my Tiger and they are great. They run about $100 and are made by a forum member on t-rat (maybe here too?). Can't believe they were mentioned yet.
munsonbw is offline   Reply With Quote