Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #1816
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,377
Hey Bross

I like your line air cooled bikes rock.

I too have a Scrambler, DR650 and Ive just bought an 84 R80GSPD (it needs some work) project bike.

KISS.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #1817
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
I like your line air cooled bikes rock.

I too have a Scrambler, DR650 and Ive just bought an 84 R80GSPD (it needs some work) project bike.

KISS.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #1818
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Eh?

So. I was out in BFK today, miles from any human when I found a particularly interesting road. There was a street sign but the road was very rutty and worn.

What the hell I told myself, you only live once.

The road turned out to be worse than I thought. There was no place to stop or turn around. Deep mudholes and ruts made the going challenging to say the least, but I made it the quarter mile or so to the end of the road. Here I found an oil well.

This must be private land I thought to myself. Better GTFO.

Well I snapped a pic of the bike with my phone and headed back the way I came. going out was much harder than going in and I found myself faced with three large rutted mudholes that I somehow managed to get past before. Standing water was on both sides. Door number 3 then.

As I was making my way across the peak between ruts as I had before, my front wheel slipped off the peak and I ran through the middle mud hole. Trying to maintain control I ended up crossing the next peak and into the far mudhole. The mud here had the consistency of half set cement and I was immediately flung over the right handlebar, the bike coming to a rest on its right side against the muddy peak I ahd just crossed.

With my ninja like reflexes I tucked my right shoulder into the fall and rolled across it onto my left side and then my onto my hands. The engine sputtered out and I stood up brushing dirt and rocks off my jacket. The armor in the jacket did its job well and I felt fine.

I got my money out of this jacket I told myself.

Hefting the bike back upright I noticed something curious. I let go of the handlebars and the bike stayed upright.

F--- me! I said aloud.

Well,its time to unf--- yourself then I thought.

Looking around at the miles of empty wheat fields I stepped over the bike, shifting it into nuetral and pressing the starter. crank crank crank. Nothing. crank crank crank. Nothing.

I may be screwed this time I said to the breeaze. GIving it bit of throttle it started to catch. Finally it started up.

THANK GOD, now to get out of the mud.

The rear wheel spun quite nicely sending arcs of mud everywhere. I concentrated hard and managed the rear wheel spin with the clutch while pushing forward as hard as I could. The bike SLOWLY started making its way forward. After a minute or so I made it to the other side and was up and out with mud flying everywhere. With no place to stop I kept going until I got back to the main road.

After reaching dry ground I stopped the bike, got off and did a thourough walkaround. Nothing appeared broken, mud EVERYwhere. The mud had reached the bottom of the frame, nice deep stuff. Kansas Concrete.

When I got back on the bike it wouldnt start. No firing whatsoever. Again I gave it some throttle and it caught and fired up.

Better not turn it off again till we are home I thought worriedly.

I got a lot of looks from other motorcyclists as I rode home. A fresh wash and it looks good as new, and runs fine. Still though it has trouble starting without throttle. I noticed after washing that it started fine but not after getting it home again. My theory is that it does not like to start when hot. Air cooled airplane engines have the same issue.

SO anyways I have dropped the bike on its right side (again) and this time got a free ticket over the handle bars. I had JUST replaced the right footpeg yesterday. Luckily no damage. I was clearly riding beyond my level. Lesson learned. It was what I wanted though, my first adventure.

Krahe screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 10:13 AM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #1819
Wambo
On the road to nowhere

Oddometer: 276
Great story and adventure ! Please post some pictures!

2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #1820
66BSA441
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Scram mods

I replaced the 18 tooth with a 19 tooth.
Took the snoot off the airbox and replaced it with a Norman Hyde velocity stack and fitted a K&N airfilter. Put in Iridium plugs.
I had TORs from the start.
Now I feel like I hit a cruise gear when I hit 5th.
I can top 100mph in 4th gear.
I figure I'm making about 70HP now for not much $$$
66BSA441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #1821
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Thumb

My apologies for the size of the pictures but my phone is all I had at the time. Next paycheck I am getting a smaller lighter camera just for riding.

The road:

The well at the end of the road. The marsh reeds might be a good tip off.

They should replace "Tyler" with "Trail of Tears". Notice there is NOTHING around but wheat.

Lets zoom in a bit. Looks doable from here right? Wait till after the first bend where you cant stop, cant pull over, just straight ahead and suck it up:

Notice the depth of the shadows in the ruts.

Should have been my first clue.

Krahe screwed with this post 06-22-2008 at 10:08 AM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #1822
66BSA441
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Scram mods

I have an 06. I replaced the 18 tooth with a 19 tooth to give me a better cruise gear.
I took the snoot off the airbox and replaced it with a Norman Hyde velocity stack. The snoot was incredibly restrictive.
I put in a K&N airfilter and Iridium plugs. I already had TORs from new.
Now I can top 100mph in 4th gear or 5th. I figure I'm making about 70HP.
Even better now it doesn't feel as if I have to shift to 2nd immediately like it did with the 18 tooth. It actually works better off road because I can stay in 1st when I need to w/o feeling like I'm redlining.
I have about 8,200 miles on mine.
66BSA441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #1823
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
more mods

I had the TOR's on a while ago, now I finally added a K&N, removed the snorkle, and upped the main jets to 120. Same needles, no shims.

so after a few test runs - Much smoother, free revving response. The bike winds up much more easily/quickly, straight into the midrange and sounds fantastic. HAven't had a chance to test the top end yet where the improvement should be most noticeable, but I have noticed that now the bike will roll along at 60kph happily in 5th gear, where before if you had to slow down for road works etc, 60kph in 5th was time to shift down or lug the engine

Went to have a look at the pilot jets and the screws were set HARD. I could have applied some solvent, come back, tried loosen them up etc, but i decided against it, The bike idols fine, starts easily when cold, isn't requiring extra choke etc. I'm happy where its at.

So if you haven't jetted and added a filter - DO IT, well worth the money
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #1824
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
Another Newbie (to Scrambler) Question

Sorry to be off topic. But, does anyone here have the triumph engine dresser bars on their bike, or seen these on a Scrambler, and know if they serve to protect the bike in case of a tip over? I am considering which accessories to get for my as yet to be delivered Scrammy, and wondering if these provide signifiant protection that they would be worth the cost and additional weight to the bike. (Of course, I hope my Scrammy never tips over, but stuff happens sometimes.)

Thanks,

Kathy

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #1825
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnak
Sorry to be off topic. But, does anyone here have the triumph engine dresser bars on their bike, or seen these on a Scrambler, and know if they serve to protect the bike in case of a tip over? I am considering which accessories to get for my as yet to be delivered Scrammy, and wondering if these provide signifiant protection that they would be worth the cost and additional weight to the bike. (Of course, I hope my Scrammy never tips over, but stuff happens sometimes.)

Thanks,

Kathy
Off topic? ON topic! I think this thread is anything Scrambler related...and congrats on the soon-to-be new bike!

The bars are pretty cheesy...but with a little modification they can be firmed up and offer better protection. Rhodie has done this...his thread over on triumphrat points out how he did it, which I think just entailed sleeving the two halves together. I got them with the thought that whatever protection they may offer is better than nothing.

And from a weight standpoint they don't weigh enough to really worry too much about...
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #1826
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Mudhen is right that If you are looking for casing protection then the Triumph engine guards do the biz - tho a spacer bar between the lower bars add rigidity.
They can also be used with a Thunderbikes Bashplate with a little amendment.
Powdercoated black with the black engine they do not become a visual issue.

Sadly Triumphrat.net has imploded - following its sale and some absurd modding locking down posts in a desperate attempt to retain content with zero respect to those posting. As a consequence my pix have been removed.

Though the riding stalwarts are reconstituting here http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/

My pix need to be reposted on SmugMug before my threads being rebuilt.
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #1827
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
I didn't realise it had been sold - explains why its gone so down hill recently, adds in every post, posts not working properly

Without meaning to sounds like a 60's tv commercial:
"For all my Scrambler needs, I use one forum only, ADVrider"
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #1828
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
//I have found myself wishing for a louder horn at times to startle a whitetail deer out of it's daze or to make sure that person talking on their cell phone while driving their SUV is aware that they are about to pull out in front of me.
Sooo...........have ordered a Ear Cannon Air Horn. Claims to be the loudest motorcycle horn available @ 139 db.
Looks exactly like a Stebel Nautilus?

I bought the Nautilus from California Sport Touring, $32.36 plus shipping.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #1829
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
Though the riding stalwarts are reconstituting here http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/

Thanks for that info! I am hoping that the NB site will work well, and that between ADV and there we should have all the info we'll ever need!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1830
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,228
Wow...I can't imagine how you people with 19 toothers on the front can ride this bike...you must have to play the clutch for the first couple miles until you're up to speed?
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote