Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #18361
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Oddometer: 54
Hey guys, back in August I rode my scrambler 2-up from Toronto to California and back. It was an impromptu thing and was pretty rushed, but we definitely had the time of our lives. I recorded about 50+ hours of video and my fiance just put together a video of it. Hope you like it :)

RicoAJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #18362
kiwicaveman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
Hey guys, back in August I rode my scrambler 2-up from Toronto to California and back. It was an impromptu thing and was pretty rushed, but we definitely had the time of our lives. I recorded about 50+ hours of video and my fiance just put together a video of it. Hope you like it :)

Nice to see some travelling on the bike what it's made for stuff
kiwicaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #18363
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:

Nice video !! Thanks for sharing. Scramblers really do tour pretty well -- they really are a very versatile bike.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #18364
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
The Sonics rock!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #18365
babble
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:

Many congratulations man!
babble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #18366
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
To Rico: Nice vid'
What do you think of the Arrow? More room for the rigth leg than then stock one? And for the pillion? How about the heat?

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #18367
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
congrats Rico!
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #18368
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,608
Awesome vid, nothing better to make as all jealous, especially me on my lunch break in a "mangers" cubicle

Quick cleaning question. I have the matte black edition, what chemicals do you guys use to clean the matte plastics? any all purpose cleaner I could use for the entire bike? Last time I used a generic cleaner/wax on my vstrom the matte plastics faded over time. I really don't want that to happen again.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #18369
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

The bike performed great except the bike would not start 3 times during the trip, requiring me to buy a charger and charge it every other day. Turns out the battery was running below 12.6V required for EFI models to start. I am guessing its the stator as the battery was just tested and was 'good'. Also, I fitted the OEM windscreen on and I was surprised at how much wind it deflected, i'm very thankful I decided to bolt it on at the last minute before we left home. The Arrow pipe was not uncomfortable for me or my pillion until we got into stop and go traffic in Vegas. When we were going through Arizona and Nevada the temperature was 41-43 degrees celsius and the bike started getting hot, so I stopped the bike every hour or so to cool it (and ourselves!!) down. FYI I ran it with baffle removed for more horses, the baffle inserted results in a 13+hp loss apparently -can't confirm, did not dyno the bike after retuning with TTP and installing the airbox removal kit.

As far as touring is concerned, this was my first long distance trip on a motorcycle and i'm itching for more! Very happy with the bike, more than enough power to take 2-up with luggage, and no significant loss of power at altitude. I had to drop a gear more often above 10000ft but that was it. Riding around on a scrambler also gets you a lot of attention and interesting stories whenever you stop for gas or food. I can't tell you the number of times someone came over and shouted 'Is that an ol' 69 bonnie?! I used to have one just like that!' etc etc. GOOD times, many more to come :)

EDIT: OH yeah! At 4:36 those 2 guys in the vid were ADV inmates on KLRs! We met them in Buena Vista, CO at the inn we were staying at. They were a HUGE help in getting us back on the road. A big group of 9 guys or so all brought their dirtbikes up there and I had a few beers with them. Great great guys and i'm very thankful to meet em.

RicoAJP screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 04:04 PM
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #18370
petepuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Rico.....

What software did you use to edit.......how long was the upload time to YouTube......
Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #18371
RicoAJP
ADV Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepuma View Post
Rico.....

What software did you use to edit.......how long was the upload time to YouTube......
It was my girl that edited it, she uses Adobe Premier Pro CS6 and it took slightly less than 2 hours to upload it.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #18372
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:

Wow, thanks for sharing that, great video! My wife and I rode some of the same roads in Colorado this summer during our trip from CA to CO, it was cool seeing your video of them. We watched it together and wish we'd taken some video, all we have is still shots.

The ending with the proposal was a tear jerker, just great. I'll have to share this with a few friends.

Congratulations and I hope you two share many more adventures together.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #18373
Turbospence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing that, great video! My wife and I rode some of the same roads in Colorado this summer during our trip from CA to CO, it was cool seeing your video of them. We watched it together and wish we'd taken some video, all we have is still shots.

The ending with the proposal was a tear jerker, just great. I'll have to share this with a few friends.

Congratulations and I hope you two share many more adventures together.

Loved it! You really captured that feel good feeling of going on long motorcycle ride with your wife (in my case) lol
Turbospence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #18374
gseur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
We left with no prior planning, no GPS, no advance booking of lodging. But it turned out to be the best time of our lives!
That's the only way for a real good road trip. I never made else.

"You wouldn't understand, it's a Scrambler thing..." :TStorm
gseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #18375
manx_20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

The bike performed great except the bike would not start 3 times during the trip, requiring me to buy a charger and charge it every other day. Turns out the battery was running below 12.6V required for EFI models to start. I am guessing its the stator as the battery was just tested and was 'good'. Also, I fitted the OEM windscreen on and I was surprised at how much wind it deflected, i'm very thankful I decided to bolt it on at the last minute before we left home. The Arrow pipe was not uncomfortable for me or my pillion until we got into stop and go traffic in Vegas. When we were going through Arizona and Nevada the temperature was 41-43 degrees celsius and the bike started getting hot, so I stopped the bike every hour or so to cool it (and ourselves!!) down. FYI I ran it with baffle removed for more horses, the baffle inserted results in a 13+hp loss apparently -can't confirm, did not dyno the bike after retuning with TTP and installing the airbox removal kit.

As far as touring is concerned, this was my first long distance trip on a motorcycle and i'm itching for more! Very happy with the bike, more than enough power to take 2-up with luggage, and no significant loss of power at altitude. I had to drop a gear more often above 10000ft but that was it. Riding around on a scrambler also gets you a lot of attention and interesting stories whenever you stop for gas or food. I can't tell you the number of times someone came over and shouted 'Is that an ol' 69 bonnie?! I used to have one just like that!' etc etc. GOOD times, many more to come :)

EDIT: OH yeah! At 4:36 those 2 guys in the vid were ADV inmates on KLRs! We met them in Buena Vista, CO at the inn we were staying at. They were a HUGE help in getting us back on the road. A big group of 9 guys or so all brought their dirtbikes up there and I had a few beers with them. Great great guys and i'm very thankful to meet em.

Just a quick question. I had a same starting problem with the Bonnie I rented in San Fran last week. I had it from Tuesday to Saturday. I was in San Fran for work till Wed. afternoon and then headed off to Yosemite from Wed night to Sat morning. while in San Fran the bike never gave any sign of problem. When I got to Yosemite The very first morning it wouldn't start. And it wouldn't start either of the next 2 mornings. The guys at Yosemite Ridge where I was staying were awesome and jumped me on Thursday and Friday morning and Friday night they let me keep a jumper pack in my cabin since I was leaving very early Saturday to make the flight back home. My question is, is this common in Triumphs? The only difference was that in San Fran it was nice at warm at night and up at Yosemite it would get to the mid 30's at night.