Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #18376
Turbospence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Here is a picture from one of my last ride with these guys.

I just bought this 2013 a couple months ago and have been working my way through this thread trying to come up with a picture of what I want the scrambler to be when I'm done. So far skid plate, arrow exhaust, and rear brake re-locator. My question is on the painted fly screen which use to be offered by Triumph like this http://www.pure-triumph.com/p-2025-t...-a9708027.aspx. I only found a couple forsale in my search and can't tell if they will fit on the 2013 with the two gauges or are the just meant for the earlier ones. Anyone know for sure? and know of a source to buy them that I didn't find yet? Thanks
Turbospence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #18377
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Nice pic. Looks like you have some work to do to keep up with your buds, but it'll be fun trying on the scrambler.

I can't answer your question about the Flyscreen definitively, but I bet it'll work because the Flyscreen is pretty flat. There's a clear one for sale in the flea market right now, and there was a silver one for sale at Trat recently.

I bought a clear one and plasti-dipped the inside so it looks gloss black. It's a good product, nice and steady at speed.
xaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #18378
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Upgrading Stock Headlight

Can anyone point us to a post regarding upgrading the stock headlight on a Scrambler.

I recall reading somewhere in this thread that it can be done with OEM parts, however, search was not our friend.

Regards

Old 10-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #18379
Turbospence
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealOldDualSportGuy View Post
Can anyone point us to a post regarding upgrading the stock headlight on a Scrambler.

I recall reading somewhere in this thread that it can be done with OEM parts, however, search was not our friend.

Regards

There are some ideas and discussion going on back on page 541-542 on head lights. Just happens to be where I am up to.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #18380
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you

Appreciate the input

Regards

Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #18381
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Head Light Upgrade

Took a look at the pages. Thanks

Somewhere later in the thread it talks about a complete replacement of the headlight with an OEM 7" setup.

Thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #18382
ajsimmo
Crinkley Codger

Oddometer: 83
[QUOTE=Turbospence

My question is on the painted fly screen which use to be offered by Triumph. I only found a couple forsale in my search and can't tell if they will fit on the 2013 with the two gauges or are the just meant for the earlier ones. Anyone know for sure? and know of a source to buy them that I didn't find yet? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Turbo
They don't fit directly as the brackets are designed for the older single clock version. I just fabbed up a couple of extender bars (flat metal with holes either end 3inches long) and it fitted perfectly.
Good luck.
AJ
FLICKR
ajsimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #18383
Turbospence
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimmo View Post
Turbo
They don't fit directly as the brackets are designed for the older single clock version. I just fabbed up a couple of extender bars (flat metal with holes either end 3inches long) and it fitted perfectly.
Good luck.
AJ

Thanks for the good answer. lol still undecided but I like the look of the bikes that I've seen with these on.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #18384
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by manx_20 View Post
Just a quick question. I had a same starting problem with the Bonnie I rented in San Fran last week. I had it from Tuesday to Saturday. I was in San Fran for work till Wed. afternoon and then headed off to Yosemite from Wed night to Sat morning. while in San Fran the bike never gave any sign of problem. When I got to Yosemite The very first morning it wouldn't start. And it wouldn't start either of the next 2 mornings. The guys at Yosemite Ridge where I was staying were awesome and jumped me on Thursday and Friday morning and Friday night they let me keep a jumper pack in my cabin since I was leaving very early Saturday to make the flight back home. My question is, is this common in Triumphs? The only difference was that in San Fran it was nice at warm at night and up at Yosemite it would get to the mid 30's at night.

I had an 04' Bonneville Black and currently have an 08' Scrambler and a 2010 Thruxton have have not had any starting issues. Have several friends with new Triumph Twins and neither have they had any issues -- so I'd say no this isn't at all a common problem. Shame you had to deal with it on a vacation.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #18385
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:

Regards

I ended up swapping the 5 3/4" one for a 7" Bonneville unit. I had tried a couple different lamps before that and was never happy with the results. The lense is the source of the poor light output of the Scrambler headlight in my opinion.

D
Old 10-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #18386
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you

Appreciate the update

Any specific year Bonnie we should be searching for?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #18387
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I had an 04' Bonneville Black and currently have an 08' Scrambler and a 2010 Thruxton have have not had any starting issues. Have several friends with new Triumph Twins and neither have they had any issues -- so I'd say no this isn't at all a common problem. Shame you had to deal with it on a vacation.
I've had that same problem. Left me stranded several times.
There's alot of discussion about this over on the New Bonneville web sie.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #18388
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,489
Light, light, let there be light......again

Quote:

Regards

Not having yet done it, I am going from memory of what I have read. I believe that any Bonne light will work. The reason that an OEM light is desirable is the amount of wiring/connectors that the designers 'hid' within the light on these 'modern/vintage' Triumphs. I purchased an aftermarket light then learned that it lacked sufficient volume to do the swap and fit it all back inside. It does not seem that many Bonne headlights show up on the used market and the cost of buying the parts new was somewhat beyond belief for me. There were recent pictures here (last month?) by someone who kept the original light and added some additional led driving lights. They did not 'exactly match' the scrambler style but seemed an acceptable trade-off to be able to actually see at night for less than a king's ransom.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #18389
tricky P
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
look at the regulator/rectifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

The bike performed great except the bike would not start 3 times during the trip, requiring me to buy a charger and charge it every other day. Turns out the battery was running below 12.6V required for EFI models to start. I am guessing its the stator as the battery was just tested and was 'good'. Also, I fitted the OEM windscreen on and I was surprised at how much wind it deflected, i'm very thankful I decided to bolt it on at the last minute before we left home. The Arrow pipe was not uncomfortable for me or my pillion until we got into stop and go traffic in Vegas. When we were going through Arizona and Nevada the temperature was 41-43 degrees celsius and the bike started getting hot, so I stopped the bike every hour or so to cool it (and ourselves!!) down. FYI I ran it with baffle removed for more horses, the baffle inserted results in a 13+hp loss apparently -can't confirm, did not dyno the bike after retuning with TTP and installing the airbox removal kit.

As far as touring is concerned, this was my first long distance trip on a motorcycle and i'm itching for more! Very happy with the bike, more than enough power to take 2-up with luggage, and no significant loss of power at altitude. I had to drop a gear more often above 10000ft but that was it. Riding around on a scrambler also gets you a lot of attention and interesting stories whenever you stop for gas or food. I can't tell you the number of times someone came over and shouted 'Is that an ol' 69 bonnie?! I used to have one just like that!' etc etc. GOOD times, many more to come :)

EDIT: OH yeah! At 4:36 those 2 guys in the vid were ADV inmates on KLRs! We met them in Buena Vista, CO at the inn we were staying at. They were a HUGE help in getting us back on the road. A big group of 9 guys or so all brought their dirtbikes up there and I had a few beers with them. Great great guys and i'm very thankful to meet em.
I had the same issues with starting. It would run for about a week, but I could tell with each day the starter would be a little weaker until, eventually it just clicked. Turns out the battery wasn't getting a proper charge (under 13.3V while revving) so I first tried replacing the reg/rectifier. After that I was getting just under 14V and haven't had to put it on a charger since. I replaced it with a MOSFET type from Ricks Motorsports rather than an OEM one.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #18390
ZJeepMI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
Hey guys, back in August I rode my scrambler 2-up from Toronto to California and back. It was an impromptu thing and was pretty rushed, but we definitely had the time of our lives. I recorded about 50+ hours of video and my fiance just put together a video of it. Hope you like it :)

Great video, nice bike and congratulations! Looks like a fantastic trip.

ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote