Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #18406
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcc View Post
I am not an easy person to sell asymmetrical ideas or goods to.
The need for pannier mounts to clear the exhaust has left me with little choice.
I purchased a set of Happy Trail S.U. mounts and installed them this evening. They measure ten inches from center on the left and twelve inches from center on the right. This is not as drastic as I originally had envisioned. The racks went on with absolutely no drama or frustration. They are as solid as my word and seem to me to possibly even create a stiffness to the whole seat assembly. I purchased the racks only, due to a bit of confusion on what I would end up being able to purchase to alleviate the offset to symmetrical requirement.
I hope that I can purchase a five inch on the exhaust side and a 7 inch on the shifter side to create a perfect balance in the universe. I can say with the utmost certainty that You will not be displeased purchasing these pannier mounts. They say they measure 22" wide and this is the case.
12" in case and 22" in mount = 34" total and that I can easily live with.
Thanks for the measurements! I was wondering about the symmetry as well. Given that there is only a 2" difference is there a big gap between rack and frame on the shifter side? Wondering about a stealth rotopax mount or at least a tool kit in there.
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #18407
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
Thanks for the measurements! I was wondering about the symmetry as well. Given that there is only a 2" difference is there a big gap between rack and frame on the shifter side? Wondering about a stealth rotopax mount or at least a tool kit in there.
It is hard to tell from Happy Trails' photos (http://www.happy-trail.com/ZoomImage.aspx?productID=8468de16-0a4c-498e-85e7-3974503ff767 ) of the SU rack on a Scrambler, but you might be on to something. Given that the stock turn signals do not have to be relocated to fit the racks, you might be able to mount up a rotopax unit. Great idea! We need some photos of the racks and measurements for the left side rack. Maybe soundcc can supply that. I think he might be the first one in the U.S. to mount Happy Trails racks to a Bonneville! Thanks for the comments soundcc!

grebmrof screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 04:37 PM
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #18408
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Its a wide ass gap

The space between the frame that the luggage mount to and the fender is five inches on the shifter side. The space between the front attachment arm that runs to the footpeg mount and the shock absorber(stock shock) is one and one half inches, The clear space for and aft unencumbered is twelve inches. My gut says that the rotopax idea is not, but there is plenty of usable space for toolkitery. I was thinking of a row of MSR fuel bottles and tool kit. I will take pics this weekend and post any info that use all need. Given the lack of viable options, this rack fits the bill very well. I mean even if there were many viable options, this rack fills the bill very well. Now to find a five inch and seven inch box that dimensions out in height and width the same. Happy Trails sight is tough to negotiate when just searching boxes.
soundcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #18409
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

S.U.ed

Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #18410
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

S,U. ed again

Old 10-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #18411
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Sans Mermites

Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #18412
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
soundcc:

On HT website, go to the Scrambler page and look at the alloy box dimensions for the OWYHEE boxes - they come in 6", 7.5" and 9" widths and are 21L, 27L and 31.5L respectively. The TETONS are 7.5" and 9" widths. And finally the Imnaha are 5" wide. Not sure if the other dimensions between type are compatable with each other - i.e. length and height...you'll need to check that out.

What luggage rack are you fitting up with the HT SU side racks?
What finish did the SU side racks come through with, a speckled black powder coat?

Congrats on being the first, I think, person to buy a rack from Happy Trails - they make good strong gear.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #18413
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoAJP View Post
WOW, that is a beautiful scrambler. Any chance you have a list of mods done to the bike? Who makes that seat? Need to get my hands on one of those, it looks comfy.
Thanks for the compliments!

Here's a little of what I've done to the money pit:

Alpina Tubeless Wheels
Ohlins shocks rear
Zard Cross exhaust
Air Box Removal Kit with K&N Pod Filters.
7" headlight
Renthal bars and pad
Heated grips
Paint Stripped extra tank and Pingle Petcock.
Maund Fender delete kit
Front fender trimmed and painted
Bullet indicators
Tachometer
Skid Plate.
Nology Hot Wires.
Nology Pro Fire ignition coil.
USB Power and Ram iphone mount
Passenger peg lowering brackets
Factory Flyscreen
Leather side bag

I'm sure I'm forgetting other things, it's a seemingly never ending process, with still a very long list of things to do. . First up is to get the right side cover I just got from ebay cut and screened to match the left side. The new low exhaust left a hole there.

I modded the seat myself, just cut down the factory pan and foam, and added a little more padding, then made the vinyl cover. Did one in black too. It's much narrower than the factory look. I think it gives the bike a slim profile, which I like. Kompo-tech makes some that look great, but I didn't want to spend the coin, and just happened to have a couple extra seats laying around to experiment with.

Thanks again for the compliments.
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #18414
soundcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
soundcc:
Congrats on being the first, I think, person to buy a rack from Happy Trails - they make good strong gear.
On HT website, go to the Scrambler page and look at the alloy box dimensions for the OWYHEE boxes - they come in 6", 7.5" and 9" widths and are 21L, 27L and 31.5L respectively. The TETONS are 7.5" and 9" widths. And finally the Imnaha are 5" wide. Not sure if the other dimensions between type are compatable with each other - i.e. length and height...you'll need to check that out.

Thanx I'm hoping that the Imnaha and Owyhee have similar dimensions

What finish did the SU side racks come through with, a speckled black powder coat?

Yes, speckled black powder
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #18415
satcen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Thanks for the compliments!

Here's a little of what I've done to the money pit:

Alpina Tubeless Wheels ...
Thanks for the list. I have alpinas too but I cannot say I am 100% happy with them. There is constant air leakeage & I have to add air two times a month. Have you used the OEM hubs or you got alpina hubs too?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #18416
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by satcen View Post
Thanks for the list. I have alpinas too but I cannot say I am 100% happy with them. There is constant air leakeage & I have to add air two times a month. Have you used the OEM hubs or you got alpina hubs too?
Hi Satcen ;)
Alpina STS must NOT leak air... I think that yours needs some manutention/refurbushing :-/

I mounted Alpina... uhmm... 3/4 year ago and, after 50.000 kms (more or less) and the last long trip on turkish dirt roads, there isn't any air leakage in mine.

Buona fortuna ;)

Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 AM   #18417
nordik
n00b

Oddometer: 3
alpina tubeless

I confirm, I also try to alpine 4 months and no problems.
I also made dirt roads in France.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #18418
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Satcen,

My Alpina's aren't leaking, I think... The front made me wonder recently I it leaked a small amount, but it was just once so I don't have a pattern yet. I'm closely monitoring it. The rear has been rock solid.

I went the whole way and used their hubs, figuring if I ever sell the bike I'll just swap on the old hubs and wheels and sell the Alpina set up separately.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #18419
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
Hi Satcen ;)
Alpina STS must NOT leak air... I think that yours needs some manutention/refurbushing :-/

I mounted Alpina... uhmm... 3/4 year ago and, after 50.000 kms (more or less) and the last long trip on turkish dirt roads, there isn't any air leakage in mine.

Buona fortuna ;)

Sam,

I've been looking for feedback about that headlight. Does it do well at night, and how difficult was it to fit and wire?

Awesome pic btw!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #18420
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaman View Post
Sam,

I've been looking for feedback about that headlight. Does it do well at night, and how difficult was it to fit and wire?
Ciao Xaman.
I had any issue to wire: the headlight it's literally plug & play with Triumph wirings.
Concerning the mounting: I modified the mask in order to use a couple of brackets (http://www.louis.de/_100e0d7ad644ebd...nr_gr=10020910)

The headlight does a good light, but it is necessary to move the RR, in order to reach the correct inclination of the headlight.

2 pics to better explain:

Sam il Cinghio screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 06:48 AM
Sam il Cinghio is offline   Reply With Quote