Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2007, 02:18 AM   #211
tri boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Well the ride with the KB adventure crew showed up a small electrical fault on my bike.
It was a VERY wet 3 days, and somewhere in the ignition circuit water managed to sneak in. First one cylinder died, then came back with a backfire, then died again, and the second cylinder died about 30secs later.
I found shelter in a barn, and went through the usual checks,(Check,dry leads.Drain carbs, etc). After the bike dryed out a bit, it fired up no problem. I headed back to the town nearby, bought some CRC, drowned the electrics with it, and had no further issues with it.
Still, its a bit disconcerting. I never found the cause, so it may happen again.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #212
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
tanks

Anyone here tried any increased fuel capacity on the Scrambler yet?
I realise the standard tank is the big part of teh llok, but I'm looking to get 300km's or so.
Anyone tried an older style metal tank?
I can jsut continue carrying extra on the back, no biggy, but its the next thing I'm looking at.

Cheers

PS should have been All Blacks by 50, I was at the game, and still dont understand how we won.....
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #213
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
I bought the Norman Hyde Street Scrambler tank for my Bonnie, which is currently taking an excessively long time to be prepared by a painter.

It's an alloy tank, which isn't exactly ideal for adventure riding, but it supposedly ups the capacity to 5.8 U.S. gallons. It should work on Bonnies, Scramblers, and Thruxtons.

Another alternative would be to look for a dented/scraped up Bonnie/Scrambler/Thruxton tank and have it split and widened. You could probably keep the overall appearance similar and make some decent gains in capacity.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #214
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,304
rider07, 'cause it beats walking.
when you need go juice, you need it. mileage goes to hell in dirt, elevation, load, filter gets plugged while your on it, etc then your lost, etc... some areas have alot of distance between gas and the penalty of running of in Bumfuk can be very extreme. might be a remote area, with high heat, no water, no titty bars, some areas, US, MX, CA, OZ, assorted out reaches etc...5 gal aint enough.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #215
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider007
I got 65 miles per imperial gallon on my last outing with the Scrambler. I've gotten as high as 70 when riding for mileage. Why bother with an aftermarket tank?
Top economy I dont get that!

Come to Australia riderbond even travelling relatively direct routes between capital cities here I need to carry a few litres (distance between fuel stations).
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #216
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
[QUOTE=davorallyfan]Top economy I dont get that!

Great photo! Or should i say blaaaaaaaaah-nd.

What do they do in the Shire - in to town to watch haircuts on a Friday night?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #217
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,088
Danger is as danger does.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #218
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
Yes by adding two wedges

It only increases the width by 2-3 inches and adds 3 litres.

I think I would have increasd it further 1" to 2" if I was to do it again

It is currently been repainted.
There is no doubt in my mind that the tank should have been larger i the first place!
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #219
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Probably what I should have done, but I got damned tired of waiting for a spare tank to show up at a reasonable price. Of course, we must have pics of the finished product...

Did you ever wind up sending your wheels off to Woody? I'm having some issues with my front and I thought it might be time for some SUPERLACIN'.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #220
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
I got 65 miles per imperial gallon on my last outing with the Scrambler. I've gotten as high as 70 when riding for mileage. Why bother with an aftermarket tank?
Well the simple answer is that many don't want to "ride for mileage" and there are lots of places where it's 200+ miles between gas stops. Not to mention simply the ability to ride longer without stopping and/or the pleasure of not worrying about where the next gas station is.

Long-range bikes are simple wonderful and short-range bikes, while you can usually work around the limitations, are a PITA.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #221
oldxs650
beer taster

Oddometer: 33

In that the capacity is 4.4 gallons US, and I'm getting 55-60mpg, no. If I were concerned, I would look into an aluminum auxiliary tank mounted on the rear rack www.tourtank.com This would give you the flexibility of the extended range without resort to the cost of the aftermarket tank, modified and repainted stock tank, or carrying a plastic POS on the back. Tourtank does have QD fittings and a variety of sizes and options ...and no, I don't work for them. IMO, its a viable option.

oldxs650
oldxs650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #222
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxs650

In that the capacity is 4.4 gallons US, and I'm getting 55-60mpg, no. If I were concerned, I would look into an aluminum auxiliary tank mounted on the rear rack www.tourtank.com This would give you the flexibility of the extended range without resort to the cost of the aftermarket tank, modified and repainted stock tank, or carrying a plastic POS on the back. Tourtank does have QD fittings and a variety of sizes and options ...and no, I don't work for them. IMO, its a viable option.

oldxs650

Damn cool! Thanks for the link!!!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #223
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Fair enuff. You mentioned high heat. Any idea how the air cooled Scrambler performs in southern climates where temps can get pretty warm in summer? (ie. Texas, Ariz., Cal., Mexico, etc.) Might it be suceptible to over heating?
I doubt it. I ride year-round here in Phoenix, and my Sportster is pushing 60,000 miles on the original top-end. No reason a modern Bonnie should be any worse. The stock specific output of that motor isn't very high, which should leave plenty of miles between rebuilds.

Highest oil temp I've ever seen on my bike was 240, and that was going down I-10 at 100+, playing with an SV650 when it was 115.

Normally it runs between 180-200 (in the bag) and I ride every day, regardless of the temperature.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #224
milkman
can't find my screwdriver

Oddometer: 137
Thanks for the replies guys, especially the picture of teh modified tank.
I considered that as an option, but was too scared to damage a nice tank.

I realise I could add a nomad tank or carry more fuel, but it would be good to have the extras fuel in the tank, central on the bike.

I like my bikes to make at least 300km, as I find stopping often to refuel on a long day, especially hot ones....dehelmet, debag, dejacket, fill up, bag, jacket, helmet, often makes me more tired than if I can make the next town.

There's also that psychological factor....I always try and get past half way or so on a relative trip before i stop, makes me feel more like I'm getting there, even if the difference is only 30/40minutes or so.
eg my place to Griffith is 6-7 hours (traffic, wind dependant). If i can make Temora, about 3.5 hrs I'm past half way and there are less people at the servo', meaning a quicker pit stop, or more time to rest while I'm there, as opposed to stopping at the Yass servos., 2-2.5 hrs into the trip, where every man and his dog stops at Mcdonalds onteh way to the snow.
Ones in between not always open
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #225
rallybug
Local Yokel

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
There is no doubt in my mind that the tank should have been larger i the first place!
Nice work - I'd imagine that the tank is the size it is because Triumph probably never planned for it to be a long-distance bike, more along the street scrambler lines of yore, cruising the boulevards, local back roads etc

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote