[URL="http://coffeeguy.smugmug.com/photos/311225287_sh9jv-M.jpg"]
[URL="http://coffeeguy.smugmug.com/photos/311225163_kSmxm-M.jpg"]
coffee guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #2312
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Ammo can Panniers

I have had these for about two months now and meant to post some pictures sooner. I've only ridden about 800km since, mostly city and really like them. I get alot of compliments on them and they were not too expensive, about $1000 bucks for the whole project. The Cans came from a surplus store, sand blasted at a do-it-yerself place and powdercoated all for about $200. I mounted them using the universal kit from Moto Sport ($70 bucks) The racks were made by a company here in Calgary called "Trillion Manufacturing" for about $625. They are very tough and really compliment the looks of the bike I think.

The downside you ask? Heavy. 25 pounds per Can, about 60 pounds for the whole set up. and it is wide due to the high pipes, 36" to be precise. I think when I ride up to Inuvik in the fall of 2009 I will switch to a lighter arrangement. Nice thing is I can use a Moto Sport product or use another of their mounting kits to adapt something to the racks.
Attached Images

Mud Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #2313
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Ammo Can Panniers

More shots
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM   #2314
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Ammo can Panniers

I need to learn the other way to post pics
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #2315
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Ammo can Panniers

sigh.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #2316
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Ammo can Panniers

double sigh.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #2317
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed
I have had these for about two months now and meant to post some pictures sooner. I've only ridden about 800km since, mostly city and really like them. I get alot of compliments on them and they were not too expensive, about $1000 bucks for the whole project. The Cans came from a surplus store, sand blasted at a do-it-yerself place and powdercoated all for about $200. I mounted them using the universal kit from Moto Sport ($70 bucks) The racks were made by a company here in Calgary called "Trillion Manufacturing" for about $625. They are very tough and really compliment the looks of the bike I think.

The downside you ask? Heavy. 25 pounds per Can, about 60 pounds for the whole set up. and it is wide due to the high pipes, 36" to be precise. I think when I ride up to Inuvik in the fall of 2009 I will switch to a lighter arrangement. Nice thing is I can use a Moto Sport product or use another of their mounting kits to adapt something to the racks.
I've been a fan of motosport stuff for a while, I like their soft bags which I swap between the DR650 and Scam and in the future my project R80G/S
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 AM   #2318
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS
Nice
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #2319
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Cheap mods:

Put in a K/N air filter today and removed the snorkel and the bike has more grunt and pick up. Low end was more grunty and could definitely hear it when accelerating. Mid to top range was improved too. Got to 90mph easily with more to go. TORs are coming next week,

Never thought adding a bit more air w/ the filter and no snorkel would make a difference but it does.

Surprising how restrictive they are in stock form.

Dave-
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #2320
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
Cheap mods:

Dave-
That's pretty much ALL Triumphs. They're all chocked, silenced and leaned out. Thank god for the aftermarket.
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 AM   #2321
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,196
Mods and Mileage?

OK, I know that most folks who do the performance mods are going after power and typically wouldn't ride slow, but roughly how much do the standard mods (less restrictive mufflers, bigger jets, shim needle, change in air filtration) reduce fuel mileage?

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #2322
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1068
Cheap mods:

Put in a K/N air filter today and removed the snorkel and the bike has more grunt and pick up. Low end was more grunty and could definitely hear it when accelerating. Mid to top range was improved too. Got to 90mph easily with more to go. TORs are coming next week,

Never thought adding a bit more air w/ the filter and no snorkel would make a difference but it does.

Dave-
Did you rejet as well. Seems like you would need to when opening up the breathing like that. I'd be interested to hear what jets you are using.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #2323
dave1068
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Didnt need to rejet as bike seems to be running fine. I did turn up the a/f mixture slightly. More grunt which is easily noticible on acceleration.

I think these bikes are so lean from the factory that just turning up the a/f mixture a bit might be enough to compensate w/out rejetting.

Buy a k/n, remove the snorkel and you'll see what I mean.

Dave-
dave1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #2324
wiseanhyzer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
I would agree with Dave, these mods are cheap and definately worth it in my opinion.
I replaced the stock with a K & N, and removed the snorkel this week. Wow! Much more grunt, better pick up, more at the top end. Dito on the improvements Dave. I didn't adjust the carbs any, but I did re-jet to a 120 main, I don't think a shim is going to be neccessary, and no changes to the pilot jet. After my research, this is what I came up with. I do have the TOR's and removed the AI a while ago. The Triumph Rat forum has a great thread with good info http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tech...e-results.html
I read up on reading the plugs, and I think the mixture is better now then it was before I re-jetted and changed filters. I think it was a touch lean from the dealer, and now it looks ideal.
I'm very happy with the results! Cheap. Jets are inexpensive and the filter was $45 from AutoZone. No regrets here.
Verne, I don't know what if any changes will come from this on the fuel mileage side. I haven't checked the mileage yet after the changes. I'll try and post this week. I was getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 - 47 mpg before.
Once again, I agree with Dave1068. Give this a try guys and gals!
wiseanhyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #2325
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Just got the best mileage I've gotten so far in the Scrambler, 54.29 mpg. Me solo on the bike with a tool roll and small bag. Mostly backroads twisties and some highway thrown in. Speeds mostly around 40-70 mph for the tank.

I thought that wasn't half bad. BTW this has no relation to the mods vs. mileage question, that just happened to be going on when I thought to post.