User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #2671
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,144
Bonnie Better Off-road?

So I'm at my Triumph dealer Saturday, and talking to the salesperson about Scramblers. (Hold on to your hat, he actually knows his product, and knew that they have a 270 degree crank, different from the Bonnie. Shocker.)

So he says something to the effect of:

"I had a customer in here the other day who really seems to know alot about Triumphs. He (the customer) said if he wanted to go offroad, he would buy a Bonnie over the Scrambler, but mid-rise pipes on it, and change the triple-trees to the Scrambler style. The Scrambler has too high of a center of gravity, and the modified Bonnie would be better off-road. The Scrambler doesn't have that much suspension travel anyway."

WTF? Is he high? The customer OR the dealer? Does this make any sense?

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #2672
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Sounds like a dealer with Bonnies on the floor but no Scramblers.
The difference in COG would not be that great IMO
Same basic bike & by the time you finished modding the Bonnie for suspension & ground clearance it would end up pretty close to the Scram
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #2673
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
They usually don't snap there?

Any more info?
I have stock pegs on modre's (triumphrat.net) 2" peg lowering kit. I had no problems prior to this. I was riding over railroad tracks at about 30 mph. I stood up on the pegs. After the second bump, the left peg snapped off at the bracket bolt. It didn't cause me any problems, but it was fun riding home with my left foot back on the passenger peg.

I honestly expected the peg to break before that bolt. I'm getting a replacement bracket + hardware from Triumph in about a week but I might look into finding stronger bolts for that bracket.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #2674
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
[quote=Just Brian]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross

More pics here...
https://www.metalmule.com/shop-onlin...d,81/vmcchk,1/

quote]

WOW... ok.. im probably gonna get bashed for saying this... but... I actually dont mind the look... thinking now metal cases painted to match the bike...
I realize this will make the bike a bit large in the arse... but... my wee has quite a big rear... so nothing new for me.

thanks for the pics and the link...
just brian, Sorry I don't know how to link to my previous posts, but I put up a few pictures of my ammo can adaoptation. It was much cheaper than the meta-mule solition. I know you can search for my posts by name. Send me a private message if you questions or want better pictures.
Mud Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #2675
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Name:  Picture%20209.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  57.2 KB
Heres a pic of the cans Brian
Mud Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #2676
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 791
Tool kit for Scrambler

We are getting ready to do some serious back country traveling with a Scrambler. My question is what tools to bring besides the normal tools and tire patch equipment?
What I am looking for, is the knowlage of someone who found a tool they needed and did not have with them.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #2677
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
We are getting ready to do some serious back country traveling with a Scrambler. My question is what tools to bring besides the normal tools and tire patch equipment?
What I am looking for, is the knowlage of someone who found a tool they needed and did not have with them.

I haven't had the experience of wishing for a tool, but what I did was make sure I put together the tools necessary to pull both wheels off. I then did a trial run and found that although I had the correct tools, I could not break all fittings/fasterners loose. After using cheaters everything came off and I put things back together using sane torques and/or anti seize, lock-tite or grease as I felt appropriate.

Glad all that was done at home instead of by the road or trail!

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #2678
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Make sure you have something you can use to alter the preload on your rear shocks . I had to make do with philips screw driver , shock bit my finger when I slipped, exit some skin , enter some blood & pain
Old 10-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #2679
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by curezee
Be sure to let us know the verdict. I still have a slow leak on the left side on fins on my Scrambler. I think it may be the seal.
Got my baby back today. It was the gear change cover gasket leaking. they did not change the sprocket shaft seal as it was OK. All covered under warranty @ no charge to me. Rode the 80 miles home from dealer and she leaks no more.
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #2680
scrambled
hillbilly

Oddometer: 180
Quote:

1)harmonica
2) pint of Jim Beam
3) pack of Marlboros
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #2681
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 15,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambled
1)harmonica
2) pint of Jim Beam
3) pack of Marlboros

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #2682
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
Make sure you have something you can use to alter the preload on your rear shocks . I had to make do with philips screw driver , shock bit my finger when I slipped, exit some skin , enter some blood & pain
The manual calls for the 5mm Allen wrench under the left side cover for adjusting the shocks as well as removing the seat. Insert the short end of the wrench into the shock and use the long end for leverage. Works pretty well.

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #2683
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits
The manual calls for the 5mm Allen wrench under the left side cover for adjusting the shocks as well as removing the seat. Insert the short end of the wrench into the shock and use the long end for leverage. Works pretty well.
Wah ,, real blokes don't read instructions. Thanks I'll know next time
Old 10-02-2008, 08:15 PM   #2684
Skidplate865
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Scrambler Handguards

For any Scrambler riders looking for warmer hands this winter - you can buy Triumph Tiger Hanguards and fit them to your Scrambler. You have to buy a couple of bushings and a couple of longer screws (under $4.00 total) but it works! I used "Bypass Caps" which were $2.70 at Strauss Auto and 10-32 X 3" screws (flat head, slotted). I bought the guards from www.madss.com (in Triumph Accessories catalog, under Tiger Accessories).
A Few Pics:

Skidplate865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #2685
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
As I was riding into work yesterday at 40 f I was thinking that it was time to setup for winter. And here is Skid with a dandy mod!! I've still got a credit at the dealer so this might be my next purchase.
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote