Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #16
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
Stretch did likewise - melted his goretex pants onto the headers in the extreme sections - (the ones I was having trouble getting a kitted out sxc625 through.)

The pipes do interfere slightly in the standing position - I didn't think it was a biggie and had no problem with it. I didn't touch anything but heat shield and they worked very well for me.

Anyway - Leather pants are much cooler.

I'll find the bigger image later - as requested - too.
Yabbut, what about when you ride in shorts and sandals?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #17
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
Yabbut, what about when you ride in shorts and sandals?
Only on my mountain bike.
naturally i didn't try on the scrambler (IQ is over 10) - but i still don't think the exhausts would bother me - the shields do a good job.

It was only the stunt man's extreme-nuts-on-the-tank-act that found the headers - nowhere near them in my league.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #18
robsmoto
Motorcycleton

Oddometer: 326
Well, I definitely would like to do a test ride on a scrambler at some point.

I don't think that I'd get rid of the Tiger for one, though. Maybe my 64 Bonnie as an even swap. Or maybe not... Just have to make more room in the garage.
robsmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #19
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
Thanks!
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #20
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Man when I looked at the Scrambler in the post, I thought it was the cats- "O-Ring"
I really want an Air cooled bike, and it's a Twin and not Rice powered.....

But then read some of the rider reviews:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/.../28/ixmot.html

Quote:
This is not a machine for taking any farther off-road than the end of your driveway.

It is meant to be an entry-level big bike with 1960s off-road styling. Think of it as something to ride down to the beach after work

The seat starts to feel hard after an hour or so, but it is not bad
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/po...opDefault.aspx

Quote:
The Scrambler is a model where convenience and cool are arguably more important to likely customers than actual performance

anyone looking for even slightly more sporting tarmac manners than that, the Scrambler will seem frankly underpowered and rather bland.

The Scrambler's true natural habitat, is city streets, especially traffic-clogged roads
http://www.two.tv/BikeSelecta_InDepth.asp?RT=977

Quote:
A sunday morning or commuter bike.

lets be brutally honest here despite its name, youd have to be brave to take this 205kg bike very far from the Tarmac
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3199522

Quote:
It is a niche product, of course. Ride it on a motorway for long and your arms will be pulled from their sockets by windblast. The Scrambler will reach 160km/h but it is not comfortable above 130km/h - except for brief overtaking moves. At 40.5kW, it is not remotely fast.

Is it practical? Not if you plan to tour but if recreational motorcycling means weekend picnics in the countryside or at the beach, pootling around town in jeans and a leather jacket, or summer commuting to the office, then the Scrambler is adorable.

Here is probably the most damming review of them all:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/scrambler06052400.html

Quote:
So the big question of any road test is: would I have one?
After ten minutes of riding I had decided the answer was no.

The luke warm at best reviews go on and on and on just like the ones above... It appears to me that the Scrambler is a looker but not a keeper.

My search continues.

*sigh*
we3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #21
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3

The luke warm at best reviews go on and on and on just like the ones above... It appears to me that the Scrambler is a looker but not a keeper.

My search continues.

*sigh*

Naturally - as posted - I disagree - perhaps you should just try it for yourself.
I'd have one tomorrow if i didn't already have an XB12X in the shed.

End of the driveway? I punted it up mountains where GS1200s were falling over. Maybe they are just road bikes too.
phhhhht!

I'll even add this sweeper:

I spent all day jumping off the scambler and onto a sxc625 and back - on a hard out adventure ride.
I found the scrambler to be much easier to ride and many times more enjoyable off road than the SXC - everywhere except the 'Challenge Loops'. It wouldn't win a race - but that's not what I'm out there for.

Anyone who says it's 'incapable' of off road work probably has only ridden the spec sheet very far on dirt.

*I* can show you the photographs!

danger_dave screwed with this post 06-02-2006 at 03:57 PM
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:49 PM   #22
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh and for those of you looking for images of the bike here are a few:

Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #23
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,162
This is so sad, the bike just came out and it is already end'n up with the F650's and KLR's; in the land of no respect
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
perhaps you should just try it for yourself.
I will - someday - but I don't think I'll actively look for one, so when I run across one in a shop, I'll see if they will let me demo one.

To tell the truth, my "fire with-in" for this bike raged for 24 hours after reading the initial post on this bike.

It looked just right - hell I LOVE the retro style - it's not a Jap bike- it's air cooled so less to worry about and less to maintain. But when I read review after review of how it's considered bland - it hurts your ass - it's not good in dirt: my rage to find one of these bikes has become a smolder of curiosity now.

One reviewer saying it was so-so and others giving it high marks is one thing, but all of them saying it's oatmeal leads me to reconsider it's place on my "list".
Old 06-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #25
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
This is so sad, the bike just came out and it is already end'n up with the F650's and KLR's; in the land of no respect

Only by those with bad taste.

the first one I rode

danger_dave screwed with this post 06-02-2006 at 04:10 PM
danger_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #26
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 636
Whenever I read the lukewarm reviews of the Scrambler I finding myself wondering that if the current bike is so mediocre, how is that anyone toured the world and had fun on the orginal Triumphs 40+ years ago?
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #27
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by we3
I will - someday - but I don't think I'll actively look for one, so when I run across one in a shop, I'll see if they will let me demo one.

To tell the truth, my "fire with-in" for this bike raged for 24 hours after reading the initial post on this bike.

It looked just right - hell I LOVE the retro style - it's not a Jap bike- it's air cooled so less to worry about and less to maintain. But when I read review after review of how it's considered bland - it hurts your ass - it's not good in dirt: my rage to find one of these bikes has become a smolder of curiosity now.

One reviewer saying it was so-so and others giving it high marks is one thing, but all of them saying it's oatmeal leads me to reconsider it's place on my "list".

The bike surely isn't for everyone.
In thinking about it I'd also probably buy a Tiger ahead of one if i was choosing a triumph too.

My point is that I read some of the reviews you listed too - and proved them wrong. (and enjoyed doing it so comprehesively)

As I leant on ADV - you can ride a CB750 off road if you want - just not everyone needs to win the Dakar every time they thow a leg over.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #28
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,293
My take on the Scrambler back in Febuary; http://new.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120829
Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #29
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
Whenever I read the lukewarm reviews of the Scrambler I finding myself wondering that if the current bike is so mediocre, how is that anyone toured the world and had fun on the orginal Triumphs 40+ years ago?

Spot the 2-stroke man!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #30
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
The Rodney Dangerfield Edition?

Here's one of my favorite large format HiRes pict. I think it looks better with the bash plate. It's not that great for a desktop though. Dave's picture looks great for a desktop. It's very dynamic.

Jeffy screwed with this post 06-02-2006 at 05:23 PM
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote