Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #3421
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
So has anybody gotten adventurous enough to install an HID headlight replacement kit on the Scrambler? I wonder if it can be done or has been done.

I put one on the Tiger and the difference is phenomenal. The Scrambler's headlight is pure shit so I wonder if I can do something with it.

Further, why is it so damn hard for Euro motorcycle companies to make a decent headlight? I rode a friend's Kawasaki W650 (the old-school Triumph-styled bike) and it had the best headlight I've ever seen on a bike. Nice and bright with a perfectly designed reflector and beam pattern. No need to consider an upgrade. How hard can it be?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #3422
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
So has anybody gotten adventurous enough to install an HID headlight replacement kit on the Scrambler? I wonder if it can be done or has been done.

I put one on the Tiger and the difference is phenomenal. The Scrambler's headlight is pure shit so I wonder if I can do something with it.

Further, why is it so damn hard for Euro motorcycle companies to make a decent headlight? I rode a friend's Kawasaki W650 (the old-school Triumph-styled bike) and it had the best headlight I've ever seen on a bike. Nice and bright with a perfectly designed reflector and beam pattern. No need to consider an upgrade. How hard can it be?
The way I see it, the easiest way to upgrade is to fit a Bonnie headlamp shell and install a Cibie lamp unit.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #3423
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 111
Sounds good bt - I'm guessing that's the lane from the foot of the hill east of the cress-beds that crosses the crane and comes out at Gotham. I go through Cranborne and Alderholt quite often.
Would be well up for a ride in the summer. I'll e/pm you.

Cheers,
BB

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #3424
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boola-Boola
Sounds good bt - I'm guessing that's the lane from the foot of the hill east of the cress-beds that crosses the crane and comes out at Gotham. I go through Cranborne and Alderholt quite often.
Would be well up for a ride in the summer. I'll e/pm you.

Cheers,
BB
Er, yes and no. Although you can go in there (from the small layby). If, when coming from Cranborne centre, you turn right at the sharp left bend. Go up there about 200yds, you can turn left into Mill Lane. Either way it's a nice ride. I understand it's now all byway.

I look forward to meeting you when the sun comes out.........and it's not -5c

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 01:06 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #3425
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
The way I see it, the easiest way to upgrade is to fit a Bonnie headlamp shell and install a Cibie lamp unit.
What's the difference in using the Bonnie headlight shell? Is it larger? Is the beam pattern any better?

I know it certainly looks better, being all chrome.

Real briefly, what's involved in fitting a Bonnie headlight shell? Is it a direct bolt-on or do you have to swap in a bunch of Bonnie parts to make it work?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #3426
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
What's the difference in using the Bonnie headlight shell? Is it larger? Is the beam pattern any better?

Real briefly, what's involved in fitting a Bonnie headlight shell? Is it a direct bolt-on or do you have to swap in a bunch of Bonnie parts to make it work?
Not having either bike yet, all I can go by is my observations.
The Bonnie headlight is a bigger diameter. What the exact size is, I don't know. However, It looks like it's a simple matter of twisting the mounting brackets outward to fit the bigger shell into the scrambler. I could well be hopelessly wrong.........
The Bonnie beam pattern is probably crap as well, which is why I wrote "fit a Cibie lamp unit". There are other posts on this thread about trying to fit a Cibie into the Scrambler shell and the conclusion was that it cannot be done.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #3427
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
I have been looking into this for a while now, an HID kit can be fitted but the reflector is still crap, you will only get a slight increase in light among other problems. Also you will need a dual intensity kit, similar to this one: http://www.kbcarstuff.com/4300k_Moto...h-fslash-l.htm

I am looking to mod an automotive type projector into the stock housing, I'm not sure it will fit. That way I will have the proper beam pattern.

One of many HID FAQs I have found: http://faqlight.carpassion.info/projector-unit.htm

I will keep you guys posted on my plans
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #3428
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
You can always take the easy route and get this kit:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-16...NCH+RACELIGHTS

Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #3429
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1
You can always take the easy route and get this kit:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-16...NCH+RACELIGHTS

And, all the astronomers in Hawaii will be moaning about light polution.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #3430
flick
Man on a mission.

Oddometer: 336
those are good for off road use, but they can cause too much light to reflect off the pavement close to you. for on road use you need something to block the bottom edge of the light giving you the proper beam pattern.
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #3431
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:

Quote:
Not having either bike yet, all I can go by is my observations.
The Bonnie headlight is a bigger diameter. What the exact size is, I don't know. However, It looks like it's a simple matter of twisting the mounting brackets outward to fit the bigger shell into the scrambler. I could well be hopelessly wrong.........
The Bonnie beam pattern is probably crap as well, which is why I wrote "fit a Cibie lamp unit". There are other posts on this thread about trying to fit a Cibie into the Scrambler shell and the conclusion was that it cannot be done.
Here's pics of both, first the Scrambler at 6" between the brackets, measured at the bolt holes. (Don't go fabbing any brackets based on those measurements, they were just eye balling the tape measure and not very accurate )

the Bonnie at 7 3/4"

Both brackets are welded to the fork legs, sorry for the crappy pics of the Bonneville but I didn't feel like moving bikes to get a better pic. Hope these help. I don't think there's any way you'd bend the brackets on the Scrambler to fit the Bonnie bucket.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #3432
Mats
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Both brackets are welded to the fork legs, sorry for the crappy pics of the Bonneville but I didn't feel like moving bikes to get a better pic. Hope these help. I don't think there's any way you'd bend the brackets on the Scrambler to fit the Bonnie bucket.
The brackets are welded to tubes that are loose fit over the fork tubes themselves. They are easy to adjust once the lamp is off. The Scrambler brackets will hold the bigger light - no sweat.
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #3433
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats
The brackets are welded to tubes that are loose fit over the fork tubes themselves. They are easy to adjust once the lamp is off. The Scrambler brackets will hold the bigger light - no sweat.
Exactly what I thought. You just twist the brackets outward for the bigger shell. So who's going to be first?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #3434
Firedawg450
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Exactly what I thought. You just twist the brackets outward for the bigger shell. So who's going to be first?
As soon as I can find a 7" side mount that doesn't cost an arm and a leg- and goes with the character of the bike- then I'm in. Anyone seen anything out there?
Firedawg450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #3435
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg450
As soon as I can find a 7" side mount that doesn't cost an arm and a leg- and goes with the character of the bike- then I'm in. Anyone seen anything out there?
What about either LSL or the one off the Thruxton? Sorry, but I can't post pictures on here because, quite simply, it's too much hassle loading everything onto a host site first. Other sites you can upload straight from your PC. But, as we've just said, you don't need to change your side mounts.