User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #46
tri650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Finally rode one

Funny, but i had read a lot of the not so great reviews and was expecting a dog when I test rode one. Quite the opposite. I took one for a 30 minute demo ride - assorted rodes and even the highway. It had the off-road pipes - this would be a "must-have" - sounded great. I thought it pulled hard right from the get-go and had no problem keeping up with the crowd. It did not knock me off the seat at 75 and actually felt comfortable. I was sold immediately. I was picking up my 06 Husky TE 610 at the dealer and was ready to trade it in on the Scrambler - not really. Anyway, I fell in love with this bike and have it on my list for the fall. Not sure how it would do in an off-road environment but who cares - it looks cool.
tri650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #47
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
I have ridden the standard Bonnie and liked it alot. It, or the Scrambler, or T-100 would all be fun bikes to have; as would a Sportster or W650, or an Enfield, or a big scooter, or............ all of them just fun rides that don't take themselves too seriously.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:18 PM   #48
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,081
Pipes are not an issue - unless you are doing some very extreme, fast, nuts half way up the petrol tank hammering. IE not generally what you would buy the bike for.

Normal to hard out riding - no heat, no issues other than minor interference in the standing position.

I don't think they look that bad either.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #49
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave
Pipes are not an issue - unless you are doing some very extreme, fast, nuts half way up the petrol tank hammering. IE not generally what you would buy the bike for.

Normal to hard out riding - no heat, no issues other than minor interference in the standing position.

If you actually get in close and look, the majority of the pipe up by your leg is double shielded so it's not too hot. But is is an exhaust, if it were that big uf an issue to someone, they should by a street bike.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #50
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
IBut is is an exhaust, if it were that big uf an issue to someone, they should by a street bike.
or a bicycle
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #51
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Hi everyone, I've been lurking in this forum for quite some time and it seems like nows as good a time as any to post something.

For starters, I'm a new rider. I have just over 100 miles under my belt if that should give you an idea how much of a n00b I am. I am also a very proud owner of a red and white Scrambler.

I just got back from an hour ride and it felt great. This is coming from a new guy. I love this bike. The only other things that I've riden have been a 250 Nighthawk for my MSF course and a dirt bike many many years ago. This bike is a treat compared to the Nighthawk. Anyone that says this bike has a heavy clutch is full of doo doo.

She really is a sweat machine and I don't think I could have found anything better to start off my new life. I say if you want one. Get one. Get it now while you still can. Most dealerships are on their last bike.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #52
IrishJohnny
Tommy Gavin's cousin

Oddometer: 349
I want one...a few small mods (and I do mean small mods), most of which Triumph already list as extras and I reckon it would be the super fun version of what my Tiger is.

Just have to wait till my Thruxton is paid for......no rush there then !

IrishJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #53
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick
Anyone that says this bike has a heavy clutch is full of doo doo.

Nice work - and first post.

They have never ridden a CB750 K2 and forgotten to select neutral before completely stopping at traffic lights either. Possibly my most painful experience on a motorcycle.

dd
Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #54
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
. I am also a very proud owner of a red and white Scrambler.
congrats, maybe the squid bike and cruiser fad is waning and bike makers will start making more of these
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #55
danger_dave OP
Home again

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels
congrats, maybe the squid bike and cruiser fad is waning and bike makers will start making more of these

Not as long as there are young men with adrenaline and old farts with cash.

There is no 'right motorcycle' - but right 'range of motorcycles'.

I think I could cover it with 4. One would be a cruiser, a track bike, a standard, an adv, a trail....err 5 one would be a cruise............err 6 one would........err 7....
Old 06-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #56
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
One thing about the clutch is the friction zone is rather narrow and near the release point on the clutch lever. I keep forgeting about this. And keep stalling and doing that embarassing what way is it going to fall over paniced leg spread.

As for the cruiser fad, I doubt it. I constantly hear people asking me why I didn't buy a Harley. Thats all there is around here. A few Goldwings and a handful of crotch rockets. It gets kinda dull looking at other bikes. Oh look, a Harley. And another. And another.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 AM   #57
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
One thing about the clutch is the friction zone is rather narrow and near the release point on the clutch lever. I keep forgeting about this. And keep stalling and doing that embarassing what way is it going to fall over paniced leg spread.

As for the cruiser fad, I doubt it. I constantly hear people asking me why I didn't buy a Harley. Thats all there is around here. A few Goldwings and a handful of crotch rockets. It gets kinda dull looking at other bikes. Oh look, a Harley. And another. And another.

The first ride I took the Scrambler out on was the Top Gun Charity Ride here in Atlanta. This is the first ride like it I have done in years, typical Harley Fest with HD being 90% of the turn out. A friend talked me into joining her and her friends for lunch then the ride. Man did I feel out of place!

Just before the event started people were walking around the cookie cutter choppers to see the bike and try to figure out just what in the hell it was. I was fielding questions for a good 30 minutes. It is also funny to hear some of the comments by people who "think" they know what it is.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #58
lonewolfalpacas
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_dave

The Scrambler is a Hoot....We bought two...(of course I got the TORS!!!) and The Big Boo had my solo seat cut down...fits fine.

Big Boo had his on dirt last night and that was just 4 weeks after having total right knee replacement...

You've done a great job evaluating this bike....fact is, until the other brands catch up, the Scrambler owns it's own niche.....trying to "fit" it into what other bikes are just really doesn't work....

A bike that makes you grin silly while you ride it...that has people staring at and wondering what the heck, them smiling too....that takes you pretty much whereever you want to go, turns on a dime, accelerates smartly...is a breeze to ride....yeah....not much to like there!!!!!!!!

And now I now get to buy a whole new wardrobe!!!! Davida helmet and Aviator goggles...looking for a classic red and white leather suit!!!!

Ride On...

CuteandCool

Boo (Michelle)
Attached Images

lonewolfalpacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #59
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
Alright, that's it. I see a trip coming up to Engle's for a demo ride.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #60
we3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Yup, I grudgingly have let it claw and scratch it's way back up to 4th on my "list"
we3 is offline   Reply With Quote