That sculpture bike is great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy
thistle66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #6002
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Did anyone notice the milestone 400th page of posts??? Just shows how the humble Scrambler has effected the hearts and minds of the 'elect and chosen' who were brave enough to "go their own way" in the face of the common wisdom that says "vee must all ride zee boxer twin or else vee shoot you!"
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #6003
Orpheus
more like fool sport

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
I like the tank Orpheus had made but I am not sure what kind of scratch one needs for that kind of custom work.
I'll end the mystery: $2000.

Practically speaking, I'd look into a fuel cell or Tour Tank. I wouldn't trade my tank for anything, but it was a damned lot of money.
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #6004
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
Did anyone notice the milestone 400th page of posts??? Just shows how the humble Scrambler has effected the hearts and minds of the 'elect and chosen' who were brave enough to "go their own way" in the face of the common wisdom that says "vee must all ride zee boxer twin or else vee shoot you!"

6000 posts!!! makes no sense at all.
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:44 AM   #6005
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Eric
I have a dream of making sometimes a long ride from Finland to Lake Baikal,
Nice one. The Scram will be fine. I set off looking for an airhead GS. Lo and behold the basic Bonneville meets the same rough specification in terms of technology and useful performance with the exception of range. The Scram is even closer and the more people use them the more the basic toughness of the bike comes up. Triumph think they made something they could sell using old Steve McQueen movies, they don't seem to realise it's more than a bike dressed up to look old. If a BM GS will do the trip, so will a Scrambler IMHO and the scram won't have 25 year old bodges done by previous owners.

Not sure if this helps, but details of how I solved my range issue here:

https://sites.google.com/site/threew...d-improvements

The Hyde tank or welding might suit you better, but the details are there to consider.

Good luck and enjoy it

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:38 AM   #6006
Oil Burner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme
How do those tyres go in the mud??
Probably better than the Trailwings

2006 Triumph Scrambler
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #6007
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Burner
Probably better than the Trailwings
Better on the tarmac too
Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #6008
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Took a bunch of Melbourne mates (using our rental bikes) for a cook's tour out Jimna way last Sunday on a scorcher of a day. How's this... 33 degC and we are still in Winter!!! (Our winter months are Jun, Jul & Aug). The hot and dusty ride took us through the Mapleton State Forest, Sunday Creek Road Kenilworth, Jimna, then back to Imbil via the Mt Buggery/Little Bella Creek track.

Only a couple of kays from the turn-off into Mt Buggery track the Dakar came to a spluttering halt with a suspected fuel pump problem. I had a similar thing happen on another Dakar years earlier so I knew that getting this fugly contraption going again would be quite unlikely. Fortunately one of the DRZ's had a coil of tow rope in its rear fender bag so we searched for a place to lash the rope eventually threading the rope around the downtube just above the radiators and either side of the front mudguard. The other end was fastened around the Scramber's modified rear carrier mounting posts which bolt solidly down to the frame. Viola!

Gingerly we got both bikes rolling along the track at about 40 kph to 50kph. The plan was for Andrew on the Dakar to keep the rope taut by braking for both of us on the descents while I kept a gentle hand on the throttle. This worked perfectly until the Dakar's rear brake fluid boiled but we kept going. A number of steep hills had the Triumph scratching for traction but the bottom end torque had us both amazed as the Scram chugged effortlessly up the steep slopes then down through the two creeks crossings. I have no doubt that the Scrambler would pull one of those motorcycle trailers without raising the merest sweat!

A couple of the guys were quite interested in the local honey but she failed to show!

The Scram was always the topic of discussion (and amazment) by these dedicated hard core enduro guys from down south!

Grizzlybear screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 02:15 PM
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #6009
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,553
Griz, good to see the Scram holding it's own & better still towing a BMW home !!!

It seems no matter where the Scrambler gets parked it is the subject of a chat, old guys walking around & trying to work out how old it is.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #6010
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Nice pics. My F650 issue involved a little walk in the desert while the Triumph was 3000 miles away still in the dealers. Soon sorted that out though, it's odd how walking makes new bike decisions easier and tends to make you less inclined to agree with certain manufacturers marketing departments

Might I suggest that for towing a solo bike the best method is to wrap the rope round the handlebars and put the tail into the towees left hand? If the person being towed thinks they are about to go down or see's the tower get in trouble they can cast off and coast to a stop. It avoids the towee getting dragged with the bike and the tower going down as a result.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #6011
Simon Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Well, there I was a couple of weeks back saying I was happy with the stock rear shocks and now they are buggered. Still I have sold a few LandRover spares this week so can afford to get myself a pair of Hagon Nitros

Still got to do a few green lanes Saturday, but went for a blast on the Thruxton yesterday for a change. No pictures though, too busy having fun
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #6012
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear
After a many months of laborious design, intense R&D and rigorous trials we now bring to the Scrambler community the... wait for it... drum roll please... The Scrambler Mudbuster. OK, I jest a little but here it is!

The Mudbuster is designed to be used in conjunction with the Triumph accessory bash plate and it gives greatly improved engine protection from mud, rocks, sand and other flying debris. With the starter motor tucked down in front of the motor and the oil cooler vunerable to damage this extra protection will not go astray. We could have designed the oil cooler lip integral with the main plate however we decided that in some instances such in wet mud and beach sand riding it would be good to reverse the Mudbuster to provide even more engine protection. Therefore the lip can be simply unbolted and reversed and the reassembled Mudbuster mounted back-to-front.

Made from 3mm marine grade aluminium, the whole assembly slips in behind the existing bash plate and is secured by the existing accessory bash plate fasteners. During the very hot summer months, the oil cooler lip can be removed if needed to allow maximum and unhindered air flow to the whole of the oil cooler surface. The Mudbuster is available in satin black as shown as well as in a silver powdercoat to match the silver Triumph bashplate.

The Mudbuster shown here in its reversed position for wet mud and beach sand riding.

The price for the Kit as pictured below in either satin black or satin silver powdercoat is AUD69 plus post and pack of $10 for Aust, p&p of $15 for NZ or p&p of $20 for the rest of the world. Just PM me if interested. Griz

http://www.aussiebiker.com.au

Jeeez! You go away for the weekend and someone nicks your design for a bash plate. I know I should have patented that flip at the top as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #6013
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvestonokie
help! i've spent a number of hours on the web looking for a replacement 3-pot or other caliper, pads, and rotor for the scram. lots of postings, most of them ended up with reference to a 320mm rotor--as you know the scram is 310.

would like a kit, if there is one that includes the above stuff plus braided brake lines. have checked newbonneville and britich-customs.

i saw a posting somewhere in the 400+ on this thread. thanks in advance. bob
The Scrambler front brake is the same as the left side of a 2001~2004 Tiger955i. Suppliers might list stuff for that rather than for a Scrambler.
I know Berringer do a 6 pot caliper that fits the Tiger. And EBC do a floating disc conversion to fit. Take note though.........the master cylinder is different because, obviously, the Tiger has 2 discs and the Scram has one.
And don't forget......all Triumphs come ready fitted with S/steel braided hoses.

blacktiger screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 09:53 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #6014
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
Harrison Billet [UK] Mini-6

Harrison UK Billet produces a "mini-6" for the Bonneville which fits no problem with th Scrambler.
http://www.billet.co.uk/index2.html?home.html~mainFrame
They can also supply the EBC semi-floater disc which - if you have one of the OE discs
they tend to warp, I believe they changed the OE design in '09.
Get a set of spare pads as well.
I have been using their calipers for 20 years:
great product and even better service way beyond the call of duty...
Drop Janine a line she'll look after you.

note this is with OE disc which soon wharped
Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #6015
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie
Harrison UK Billet produces a "mini-6" for the Bonneville which fits no problem with th Scrambler.
http://www.billet.co.uk/index2.html?home.html~mainFrame
They can also supply the EBC semi-floater disc which - if you have one of the OE discs
they tend to warp, I believe they changed the OE design in '09.
Get a set of spare pads as well.
I have been using their calipers for 20 years:
great product and even better service way beyond the call of duty...
Drop Janine a line she'll look after you.

note this is with OE disc which soon wharped
Fair play Rhodie. Did you alter the master cylinder with that?

The only trouble I have with the stock brake is the lack of feel at the lever. A horrible thought had crossed my mind, to fit a rubber hose to introduce some give in the system.