Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #7426
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
I'd try "stove black" from a hardware store.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #7427
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
One reviewer saying it was so-so and others giving it high marks is one thing, but all of them saying it's oatmeal leads me to reconsider it's place on my "list".[/quote]

"Don't, don't, don't believe the hype!" Public Enemy

So many bikes have not been bought because of what a "review" has said. The most important thing to do is ride it. I have bought a couple of bikes without riding them and will not do this again. something can look right, feel right in the showroom (or conversely look a bit odd, like my current steed) but until it is moving with you the rider on it, the actual experience may be better or worse than expected. Who was the reviwer, how tall were they, what do they tpically ride, what is their bias? all things to keep in mind when reading reviews.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #7428
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
One reviewer saying it was so-so and others giving it high marks is one thing, but all of them saying it's oatmeal leads me to reconsider it's place on my "list".

So many bikes have not been bought because of what a "review" has said. The most important thing to do is ride it. I have bought a couple of bikes without riding them and will not do this again. something can look right, feel right in the showroom (or conversely look a bit odd, like my current steed) but until it is moving with you the rider on it, the actual experience may be better or worse than expected. Who was the reviwer, how tall were they, what do they tpically ride, what is their bias? all things to keep in mind when reading reviews.[/quote]

So true, so true! If the review is followed by a full page ad or a bunch of dealer ads as in the case of some of the Pommie mags (eg Bike), then you have to wonder!

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #7429
jnx55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Question on value of Leather city bag

I have a Triumph Scrambler Leather bag w/mounting bracket, black, no scuffs, and it is like new, that I am selling but don't know the value. I'll probably check with a dealer when I get a chance but thought someone here could help. A buddy bought it new and used it for a few months and now wants to sell it. (Actually he is selling the bike ,or should I say I will be, later.) Thanks
jnx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #7430
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,796
Has anyone tried the Ortlieb saddle bags as luggage?

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/ortlieb_m...le_saddle_bag/

How about muffler heat protection on the right side? I like the idea of soft waterproof bags instead of hard panniers.

I don't have a Scrambler yet. I am doing some research and this thread has a wealth of knowledge. I'll have some more questions later.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #7431
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
Has anyone tried the Ortlieb saddle bags as luggage?

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/ortlieb_m...le_saddle_bag/

How about muffler heat protection on the right side? I like the idea of soft waterproof bags instead of hard panniers.

I don't have a Scrambler yet. I am doing some research and this thread has a wealth of knowledge. I'll have some more questions later.
They look alright. They are certainly cheap enough. Be good to see them up close and test if they are really waterproof.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 AM   #7432
Beach40
Banned

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
One reviewer saying it was so-so and others giving it high marks is one thing, but all of them saying it's oatmeal leads me to reconsider it's place on my "list".

So many bikes have not been bought because of what a "review" has said. The most important thing to do is ride it. I have bought a couple of bikes without riding them and will not do this again. something can look right, feel right in the showroom (or conversely look a bit odd, like my current steed) but until it is moving with you the rider on it, the actual experience may be better or worse than expected. Who was the reviwer, how tall were they, what do they tpically ride, what is their bias? all things to keep in mind when reading reviews.[/QUOTE]

I stopped reading new bike reviews a long time ago. Theres a certain bike mag journo in Australia that won't say a bad word about Yamaha. Its pointless reading what he pens as he refuses to acknowledge any short comings.
Beach40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #7433
Iveyvet
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Ortlieb Bag

I have a single Ortlieb quick-release bag from Aerostitch mounted on a New Bonneville bracket on the left side only. The bag is spacious and waterproof and is easily removed. I'll try to get a pic up later.

Ron
Iveyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #7434
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
For the Scrambler I'd go for these http://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-...saddlebag.html You could probably adjust the straps so that the bags stay above the exhaust.
I'm still trying to find out if they're available in the UK.

EDIT :- actually I've looked into these and they are quite small (35 litres total for both sides) and for the price there are better options.

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 01:27 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #7435
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40 [/quote

I stopped reading new bike reviews a long time ago. Theres a certain bike mag journo in Australia that won't say a bad word about Yamaha. Its pointless reading what he pens as he refuses to acknowledge any short comings.
So who are we talking about and which mag? Better to be forewarned.

Current rides: 2009 Triumph Scrambler, 2013 KTM Adventure 1190
Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #7436
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,310
I still read reviews but have found a few journalists who have similar riding styles and or "take" on a bike. It's those I pay attention to. If a journo isn't of a similar build to you than who cares what he says about ergonomics because to you it's meaningless.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #7437
Nasty1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Right, I am looking for a suitable change in handlebars for my 09 Bonneville..these I believe have 7/8 bars the same as the Scrambler.

I am in the early stages of giving the bike the vintage scrambler/MX look. A lot of the bars I have seen are 1" & as a result not suitable plus I am not sure if I want to go the route of bars with a cross brace or the type as used on the likes of Steve McQueens Desert racer. I think I want to stay with chrome bars if possible. Once complete I will still use the bike for some tours and a bit of gentle off roading so the bars need to be comfortable when standing so suspect that the big pull back of some flat track bars rule them out.

Any suggestions, pictures, links from the collective experience here would be appreciated. I am 5' 7" tall and the look I want to go for is something like this

Or like this with bars with no brace.

One final thing, does the seat in the first photos look both taller and shorter than a standard Bonneville or Scrambler seat..or is it me?
Cheers

Adie
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #7438
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty1
Right, I am looking for a suitable change in handlebars for my 09 Bonneville..these I believe have 7/8 bars the same as the Scrambler.

I am in the early stages of giving the bike the vintage scrambler/MX look. A lot of the bars I have seen are 1" & as a result not suitable plus I am not sure if I want to go the route of bars with a cross brace or the type as used on the likes of Steve McQueens Desert racer. I think I want to stay with chrome bars if possible. Once complete I will still use the bike for some tours and a bit of gentle off roading so the bars need to be comfortable when standing so suspect that the big pull back of some flat track bars rule them out.

Any suggestions, pictures, links from the collective experience here would be appreciated. I am 5' 7" tall and the look I want to go for is something like this

One final thing, does the seat in the first photos look both taller and shorter than a standard Bonneville or Scrambler seat..or is it me?
Cheers

Adie
The seat is definitely a custom job.

I went with Renthal ATV 615-01 in silver which are much more comfortable than the originals. Have more pull back but are about the same height and are OK when stood on the pegs. I don't really have a clear photo of the bars but you maybe can gauge the pullback from this one....

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 01:36 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #7439
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
Lets get one thing straight, ALL magazines exist to sell stuff. They are really just catalogs with extended product descriptions. This is a trend I have noticed across several industries. If they didnt have adverts and badmouthed even one product (few would advertise with them for fear of being a target of scorn) they would cost 4 times as much. The tales of press events for new products have really pushed the definition of not 'buying' reviews in my opinion. Also I wonder if Journalists get pretty jaded when you get to ride everything under the sun as a job.

Instead I talk to owners and get their opinions before buying. I was on this thread for a couple months before buying my Scrambler and I say the people here have been very helpful in my decision to buy the bike, and I am satisfied I made the right choice. (I was looking at a F650GS before I saw the Scrambler, the 650 is too tall for me!)

There is a third part to this also in that most modern machines ARE really good products for what you pay for. We just tend to take for granted the stereotype of an 'evil corporation' is out to sell 'bad' products which is ridiculous. Once a reputation is earned it is hard to shake, which is why companies work very hard on the quality of their product and spend millions testing them to the limits. Any good business knows that rushing a product to market is a recipe for failure. The first question I ask when someone complains about a shoddy product is "How were you using it?".

I just get the mags for the pretty pictures these days.

Krahe screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 03:01 PM
Krahe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #7440
Nasty1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
The seat is definitely a custom job.

I went with Renthal ATV 615-01 in silver which are much more comfortable than the originals. Have more pull back but are about the same height and are OK when stood on the pegs. I don't really have a clear photo of the bars but you maybe can gauge the pullback from this one....
Did you have to drill the bars for the pegs on the switch gear etc or did you dremel the pegs off?

cheers

Adie