User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #8251
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Oops!

I pulled off the road today to turn around and it finally happened. Down I went. Where I pulled off was gravel and dirt and for some reason it just kind of gave-way. Before I knew it I was on the ground, in gravel. Damage to the bike was the brake pedal and the alternator cover. I've already ordered the brake pedal but if anyone knows where I can find a black alternator cover please let me know. My Scram. is a 2008 carb. version.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #8252
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach40
I've noticed a bit of oil seepage around my cam cover also.

Wasn't this a recall or warranty repair? Replacement gasket maybe?
Id like to know if its a warranty item,mine is on warranty till May.
Be nice if it didnt leak. My Scrambler was parked in ft of the local BMW shop today,it was pretty much the bike people came up and asked about.
They do stand out as different and just plain look cool.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #8253
ChrisLX200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Be nice if it didnt leak. My Scrambler was parked in ft of the local BMW shop today,it was pretty much the bike people came up and asked about.
Yeah it's a warranty issue - it should not leak oil. Read a few examples of the Tiger1050 leaking oil and being fixed under warranty.
ChrisLX200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #8254
scottdc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell
I pulled off the road today to turn around and it finally happened. Down I went. Where I pulled off was gravel and dirt and for some reason it just kind of gave-way. Before I knew it I was on the ground, in gravel. Damage to the bike was the brake pedal and the alternator cover. I've already ordered the brake pedal but if anyone knows where I can find a black alternator cover please let me know. My Scram. is a 2008 carb. version.
Sorry to hear about your drop! Is the alternator cover holed or just scratched up? If it's cosmetic and still rideable and you aren't in a hurry I'd keep an eye on eBay as I've seen a few of these come up lately for a pretty reasonable price.

scottdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #8255
jharrell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdc
Sorry to hear about your drop! Is the alternator cover holed or just scratched up? If it's cosmetic and still rideable and you aren't in a hurry I'd keep an eye on eBay as I've seen a few of these come up lately for a pretty reasonable price.
It's just scratched up. More annoying than anything else.
It's rideable though the brake pedal is bent very nicely. I'll get it fixed as soon as the part comes in.
What's amazing is that this is the first time in my life I've ever put
a bike down that caused any damage. I guess I was due.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #8256
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krahe
My cam cover is slightly weeping on the forward left side just above the oil line connector. Its only a few drops a ride and only at high rpms. I tightened the cover bolt over that spot just a little to see if it stops. I was VERY careful of not stripping the bolt. I am hoping it is not time for a new gasket.

The AI line made this difficult as it passes right over the bolt head of course, so I had to push that out of the way. I am really beginning to wonder if having that AI system is worth it for the added cost/complexity.
Jodie's Bonneville was doing that. I just pulled the cover and a thin film of ATV fixed it, no need for a new gasket.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #8257
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,845
Quote:
Fix it yourself - get a new gasket and very lightly smear the bottom of it with a incy bit of gasket goo.
davorallyfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #8258
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,170
Gotta Say

After riding dirt bikes for months straight and not looking at the Scrambler for weeks, today the GF & I took a nice 75 miler today.
Secondary roads, gravel & slight dirt roads (packed).

If you want to be in a hurry, for me anyway, another ADV bike would be in order with more suspension.
But if you want to tour, be a tourist or a looky loo, my Scrambler feels ideal.
We went looking at homes for sale in the back country for hours and had a great time.
But even with the Works shocks on my bike the travel gets used up quick (two up), although my bike feels plush deluxe riding solo.

My GF got tires legs for being folded up for so long, but otherwise the bike was comfortable for her and pulled well double.

I guess my point would be is the Scrambler is a pleasure to ride at moderate speeds, not WFO, for me.
Tis the season!

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #8259
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Every time I see one of these green ones I want to drain my bank account and run to a triumph dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration
Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #8260
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Fix it yourself - get a new gasket and very lightly smear the bottom of it with a incy bit of gasket goo.
I live too far from a Triumph Dealer to take it in for piddly warranty work,I was thinking they might send out a updated gasket if there is such a thing. A rubber gasket shouldnt need to be sealed really but if thats what it needs,thats what I'll do.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #8261
Mats
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
I live too far from a Triumph Dealer to take it in for piddly warranty work,I was thinking they might send out a updated gasket if there is such a thing. A rubber gasket shouldnt need to be sealed really but if thats what it needs,thats what I'll do.
There's not a lot torque on those bolts holding that cover, and I guess there shouldn't be either, but it might help just to clean the joints and gasket and reinstall.

Edit: and, as earlier recommended, a smidge of gasket goo..

Mats screwed with this post 03-28-2010 at 01:01 PM
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #8262
Krahe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658

I promised pictures and finally get them online. From two weeks ago, Cave Creek Rd to Bartlett reservoir northeast of Phoenix. A very nice ride, I would highly recommend it if you live in the area. The cam cover when I got home, I guess its what I get for trouble free operation for two years.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #8263
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
Every time I see one of these green ones I want to drain my bank account and run to a triumph dealer
or 96 easy payments...

actually...bump, I just was disappointed to see the scrambler thread off the first page for the first time!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #8264
googlemeier
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8
worked for me...happy new owner of that thing: (recommended by the god of hell fire)

googlemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #8265
M700
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Krahe & Max, looks like you both had good Scrambler rides. Cool.

Max, concur, the Scram is at it's best at a modest pace, one up. Still, it's an awful lot of fun!

Guy
M700 is offline   Reply With Quote